lxci

lxci

Life lover
Sep 9, 2024
I'm not sure if this is in the right channel, as I'm not actively suicidal (more so passively). I just want to get my thoughts out there—if you have any advice on how to cope with the following it would be much appreciated.

I'm now recognizing a pattern in myself, this cycle of detachment that I can't seem to break. When it comes to relationships, I constantly find myself bored. It's like I'm running through the motions without any real investment. At the same time, I find myself having meaningless sex just to feel some sort of connection, a brief and shallow interaction that feels like it should fill the void but never does.

For the longest time, I thought I was just incapable of forming meaningful connections. But recently, it hit me—it's not that I can't connect. It's that I'm fucking terrified of getting attached. The moment where most people would start to feel that spark of attachment or love, is exactly when I start pulling away. It's almost an automatic response—either I let the relationship rot on its own, or I cut things off explicitly.

Unfortunately I've already let myself attach to certain things. I didn't run fast enough. Take my cat, for example. The thought of living without him is unbearable. I know that when he dies, it's going to destroy me, and I can't shake that thought. It's gotten to the point where I've become almost obsessive, constantly worrying about his health because I can't stand the idea of losing someone. It's this looming sense of dread that's always there, always reminding me that everything I care about is temporary.

I've never really had to deal with loss before. All of my grandparents are still alive, and I'm especially close with the ones on my mom's side. But they're getting old, and I know that someday soon I'll have to face the reality of losing them. I have no idea how I'll handle that. The thought alone sends me into this spiral where I'm already grieving something that hasn't even happened yet. It's like I'm trying to prepare myself for the inevitable, but I know there's no real way to prepare for something like that.

Time itself is a whole other source of dread. It feels like this unstoppable force that's dragging everything I care about toward its inevitable end. Every minute is just another reminder that everything—every relationship, every attachment—is on borrowed time. That sense of time passing, of things slipping away no matter what you do, is fucking terrifying. It's like watching sand fall through an hourglass, no matter how hard you try to hold on, it just keeps slipping away. I think that's part of why I keep pulling out of relationships before they get too deep. If I detach before things progress, maybe I can convince myself that I'm in control of when it all ends.

This existential dread is always in the background, reminding me that no matter how much I try to avoid it, I can't escape the fact that everything ends.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: foreverfalling, alienfreak and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
A lot of what you've said is very relatable. I suppose it's fear of abandonment ultimately. I've experienced a lot of loss in my life from a young age. Including deaths of my Mum age 3, Grandpa age 4, Nana age 10 and Grandma age 19. I've also lost touch with very close friends and had further deaths in the family throughout life.

I think it also got to the point for me where I questioned whether it was actually worth getting close to someone again with that risk of the hurt of losing them and I suppose for a good 10 years at least, I haven't made anymore friends.

I just live a very isolated life now. I don't know if that's the best answer though. You don't always escape that feeling of loss entirely. Sometimes I kind of mourn who I think I could have been if I'd found a partner or, made or kept friendships. It's probably less intense for now but, I also worry I may feel lonely in future. Hopefully, I'll just CTB though and not have to worry about it! But yeah, I suspect I may also have a fear of attachment if I actually got that close to someone again.

• Love
Reactions: alienfreak
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
I have so many issues with this myself and have dealt with it in a bad way so i feel like i shouldnt try to give advice. That being said, it seems to be a powerful idea we must simply somehow strive to accept that everything is temporary and yet try to appreciate it fully, dive head first and not let fear cripple us.

I think Buddhism covers this topic of attachment deeply but i dont understand it well enough. It seems to advise against attachment and i tried to follow that. But then in my relationship i got confused and i think it is a big part of why i unfortunately held back too much until it was too late. So it may be a mistake.

Sorry if this reply is completely useless

• Love
Reactions: lxci
Final_Freedom

Final_Freedom

Oct 2, 2024
I kinda wish I could actually feel attachment to anything. Never had that beyond the bare minimum. Everything feels kinda worthless. Dont know why I'm still alive tbh, thats why I made this account today

lxci

lxci

Life lover
Sep 9, 2024
I have so many issues with this myself and have dealt with it in a bad way so i feel like i shouldnt try to give advice. That being said, it seems to be a powerful idea we must simply somehow strive to accept that everything is temporary and yet try to appreciate it fully, dive head first and not let fear cripple us.

I think Buddhism covers this topic of attachment deeply but i dont understand it well enough. It seems to advise against attachment and i tried to follow that. But then in my relationship i got confused and i think it is a big part of why i unfortunately held back too much until it was too late. So it may be a mistake.

Sorry if this reply is completely useless
I think you're right, and I like that you brought up Buddhism; I think Buddhism really is the way to happiness. Just putting it into practice is the hard part lol.

"Non-attachment is a mental state where one interacts with their thoughts, feelings, and experiences without trying to control or fixate on them."

Obviously that definition I grabbed is super simplified, but I think my interpretation of Buddhism is more so accepting the flow of life, less advising against attachment. Like to a certain extent, yeah it is saying dont get attached, but there's more to it than just that. But I don't understand it to the full extent either.

I appreciate you bringing that up.