Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
I'm not a parent but may decide to have children in the future if I recover, find the right partner and settle down. I was raised by a bitter single mother who physically and mentally abused both me and my twin. I could NEVER go to my mother about my problems and kept my private life to myself, mistakes and all.

I learned through my own experience with my mother that as a parent, I would be the complete opposite of her. I would want my children to talk to me so I would provide a safe space without judgment. I would help build their self worth by uplifting them and encouraging them to make the right choices, while also giving them freedom to make their own choices as they grow. I wouldn't hover over them, I would trust them. They would trust me

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: prbreese01, GoodPersonEffed and lotus11
I

Irrelevant biologist

Jun 3, 2020
You nailed it on the head. Although nothing ever turns out how you plan. All you can do is try. Every day I intentionally live my life the opposite of my mother. I get you.

• Love
Reactions: Pryras and lotus11
F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
I'd focus on encouraging independent thought and exploration of their own identity, primarily. They should be empowered to find their own answers and not merely be complacent with mine. I don't think I would do physical punishments like spanking, except maybe a small swat with a bare hand for when they're too young to be reasoned with. I would probably amp up the pressure to succeed and reach high expectations from what I exoerienced, but hopefully in a supportive manner.
I'd focus on encouraging independent thought and exploration of their own identity, primarily. They should be empowered to find their own answers and not merely be complacent with mine. I don't think I would do physical punishments like spanking, except maybe a small swat with a bare hand for when they're too young to be reasoned with. I would probably amp up the pressure to succeed and reach high expectations from what I exoerienced, but hopefully in a supportive manner.

• Love
Reactions: prbreese01 and Pryras
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
It wasn't until after I experienced a lot of deep healing from trauma and came into myself as person in my late 30s and early 40s that I knew I would make a good mother. It wasn't about being the opposite of my mother, she'd stopped defining me in that way, and I had enough of my issues cleared up. She was definitely a caveat, though, and that guided me in how I knew I didn't want to be, but it's more that my natural self that was there even during the abuse really got the space to be in charge of my actions rather than in rejection of hers.

In those later years, I found in my interactions with children, where I was with them for long, extended periods of time and had an influence, that I'd gotten really good about being patient, about not making things about me, about being supportive and accepting. I learned how to get through challenges without resorting to control or being punitive. I had the groundedness to let things go that weren't a big deal. I was able to be present with them, and a calming and safe influence when they had meltdowns. I listened to them and strove to communicate in ways they could understand, and let it go when they weren't yet ready to understand and/or weren't interested yet. I was firm yet loving and worked on being flexible when it was better to make room for that.

If my life weren't fucked up beyond my control, which is external and not internal, I would love to be a mother and support another person in becoming the best that they can. It is so fulfilling! (And sometimes fucking boring.) But prior to my early 40s, I did not yet have enough self-control or awareness, and I would have fucked up a kid, though less and less as I got older and matured. Over my life, I have enjoyed and sometimes even loved kids, but I didn't have emotional control, got drained easily, wasn't aware enough of my triggers, and though I would have been way better than my own mother, I would not have been nearly as good, effective, or supportive as I would have wanted to be, and that would have just piled on more problems and stress and regrets and things to try to repair.

Now, though, I personally wouldn't want to bring a child in the world. I'm really very grateful and satisfied that I had the experiences I did that proved to me I'd be a good mother, a fine mother, and I had a positive -- not perfect, but genuinely positive -- impact on the lives of the kids I did have those close, 24/7 relationships with for a time.

P.S. I highly recommend the book Parenting with Love and Logic. It seems to align with your parenting goals. I don't like a lot of the Christian stuff in it, and some of the methods and rationalizations, but there's some solid stuff in there, similar to the book Boundaries.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pryras
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I fear I would have failed to overcome the terrible example of my own upbringing, so I had myself sterilized at an early age. I'm not sorry.

• Love
Reactions: Pryras, Nicebuddimtim, TheSoulless and 1 other person
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
I wouldn't want to be a parent myself tbh, after the way I've been treated by mine it just puts me off the whole family situation. I'd rather adopt than have my own child; my mum is adopted and I think it would be much more gratifying than bring another person into the world. When there's so many kids in foster homes who get neglected.

But if it were to happen I would support their identity and decisions. Let them feel comfortable to open up to me and talk about their problems. I would want them to feel comfortable owning up to their mistakes and not fear of being beaten for doing something wrong. Help to prepare them for their future without coddling them and be patient with them. Then the obvious stuff like not to physically and mentally abuse my child/ren (punching bags are much cheaper and take more punishment than children, word to the wise).

Secure them a good education, if they ever needed help with anything I wouldn't hesitate to lend a hand, even if it was out of my comfort zone. Kinda ironic since when I was learning French in school my dad refused to help even though he is French, he would get pissed off with me when I got stuff wrong and go back to drinking (still got an A so f*ck you dad).

It got to a point with my parents where it was so toxic being around them I just couldn't handle them being with each other for my account. If me and a S/O came to a point we knew we weren't compatible for each other I'd know that the child/ren would notice too. I think the most imperative thing is just being there for your children though, respect goes both ways and if my child/ren ever felt neglected I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Either way I plan on being the last in my family line and couldn't support a child in the mental state I'm currently in. So I guess this is more hypothetical than anything. :)

Chiyuki99

Chiyuki99

a nightmare dressed like a daydream
May 28, 2019
Well first of all, I wouldn't be an abusive drug and alcohol addict. And after that, not much can be done wrong lmfao.

agentgeez

agentgeez

Student
Jun 30, 2020
I didn't realise how completely absent my parents were in my childhood until recently. I'm seeing it happen all over again with my nephew. No one really wants to take care of the little guy, they just want to put him in front of technology so they don't have to do anything. They spoil him in all the wrong ways by giving into demands, even when it's from bad behavior as a way of shutting him up, but yell at him needlessly when he's being a nuisance. So without really being an expert on childcare, I'd start by being involved, being patient, being understanding, and being firm in the correct ways. I think my method works as whenever I have to take care of him he doesn't exhibit any bad behavior or rudeness, I just keep him entertained by playing with him, and I'm pretty effective at stopping him from doing what he shouldn't. I just get tired of having to take care of him easily, which is one reason why I don't want to actually be a parent. I know I wouldn't have the energy to do it full-time. Theoretically it's fine but actually doing it is probably how most parents mess up. Seeing this happen is probably part of why I feel so strongly about proper parenting.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
The biggest impact for me would be that I'm not having any kids because fuck the 0.001% chance of them being as fucked up as me

Reactions: lofticries and Pupuce