GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

It's Just The End Of Something
Jan 20, 2022
This is my first post, so. Hi. đź‘‹
Question: Has anyone found a book or website that discusses how to recognize early on if a person is going to be passive aggressive?

I have a pretty extensive history of trauma, and have found that the most damaging people in my life have been passive aggressive "friends". The kind of folks who never discuss feelings or boundaries, seem sweet at first, then build up resentment. They then become petty, avoidant, and incredibly hurtful.

I'm not drawn aggressive types, so I'm not involved with them socially. Most of what I've seen is about narcissists. The people I'm referring to are not narcissists. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reactions: lostautist and waitingforrest
lostautist

lostautist

wandering
Jan 12, 2022
Hello! Passive aggressive people usually tend to be manipulative, though some people may just be a bit feisty. Here's a post about Manipulation Tactics. Hope this is helpful!

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/manipulation-tactics.31123/

Reactions: demuic and GoldLeafIndigo
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Hello there, welcome to the forum :D

I have had many passive aggressive friends in the past too. In my experience, they are sometimes worse than aggressive ones. I constantly had a feeling that they secretly hated me or I did something wrong.

I feel like I tend to attract a certain type people, mostly toxic ones. Over the years, I've learned a few tips and tricks. Of course this is just my experience.

I had to first learn to be upfront with passive aggressive people, I don't know what they are thinking or feeling until they tell me, same can be said for me. Passive aggressive people tend to be vague or have double meanings behind their words. I personally think it is unfair for me to expect to decode every word they say, so I confront them about it respectfully.

Passive aggressiveness reflects more on the person than you. It shows that they aren't willing to state their feelings and still expect you to understand what they feel. I have learned that the friends that are really worth it are the ones that make you feel good. Of course, it's a lot harder when you have one or very little friends to begin with. At some point it feels better to have toxic friends than no one sometimes.

But I used to still find myself caring about someone that obviously dislikes me. I personally have codependency issues and I still have some patterns left from past trauma. Such as blaming myself for things I didn't do or sticking with abusive people because I felt like no one else would be friends with me. The first step for me was to understand when to care and when not. I had to realize that some people weren't worth my time despite the effort I put into them. I have been told to value myself many times by onlookers, but it's easier said than done.

I know that ending some friendships are hard because sometimes they are lifelines. I personally recomend putting as much effort as they do into the friendship. If not, it might be best to avoid putting them on the front of your mind.

Just my two cents, sorry for any errors or things I said that didn't translate well.

Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and GoldLeafIndigo
GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

Jan 20, 2022
Hello there, welcome to the forum :D

I have had many passive aggressive friends in the past too. In my experience, they are sometimes worse than aggressive ones. I constantly had a feeling that they secretly hated me or I did something wrong.

I feel like I tend to attract a certain type people, mostly toxic ones. Over the years, I've learned a few tips and tricks. Of course this is just my experience.

I had to first learn to be upfront with passive aggressive people, I don't know what they are thinking or feeling until they tell me, same can be said for me. Passive aggressive people tend to be vague or have double meanings behind their words. I personally think it is unfair for me to expect to decode every word they say, so I confront them about it respectfully.

Passive aggressiveness reflects more on the person than you. It shows that they aren't willing to state their feelings and still expect you to understand what they feel. I have learned that the friends that are really worth it are the ones that make you feel good. Of course, it's a lot harder when you have one or very little friends to begin with. At some point it feels better to have toxic friends than no one sometimes.

But I used to still find myself caring about someone that obviously dislikes me. I personally have codependency issues and I still have some patterns left from past trauma. Such as blaming myself for things I didn't do or sticking with abusive people because I felt like no one else would be friends with me. The first step for me was to understand when to care and when not. I had to realize that some people weren't worth my time despite the effort I put into them. I have been told to value myself many times by onlookers, but it's easier said than done.

I know that ending some friendships are hard because sometimes they are lifelines. I personally recomend putting as much effort as they do into the friendship. If not, it might be best to avoid putting them on the front of your mind.

Just my two cents, sorry for any errors or things I said that didn't translate well.
I can relate to what you said. I tend to blame myself for everything that goes wrong. I'm trying to be more realistic.
I can relate to what you said. I tend to blame myself for everything that goes wrong. I'm trying to be more realistic.
And it definitely does get to the point where you can sense that they don't even like you anymore. At least with aggressive types you can see what's coming.
Hello! Passive aggressive people usually tend to be manipulative, though some people may just be a bit feisty. Here's a post about Manipulation Tactics. Hope this is helpful!

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/manipulation-tactics.31123/
Thanks. I read over this, and most of it doesn't really fit the people I've known. They've seemed really nice at first, and the manipulation was pretty much passive avoidance.

Last edited:
J

jello

Curiosity killed the cat
Aug 30, 2021
I big red flag is if they don't respect your boundaries. I've met people that would get angry if I stopped talking to them, and they turned out to be very toxic.

Reactions: Lurker
Lurker

Lurker

Nov 27, 2020
This is my first post, so. Hi. đź‘‹
Question: Has anyone found a book or website that discusses how to recognize early on if a person is going to be passive aggressive?

I have a pretty extensive history of trauma, and have found that the most damaging people in my life have been passive aggressive "friends". The kind of folks who never discuss feelings or boundaries, seem sweet at first, then build up resentment. They then become petty, avoidant, and incredibly hurtful.

I'm not drawn aggressive types, so I'm not involved with them socially. Most of what I've seen is about narcissists. The people I'm referring to are not narcissists. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I don't know of any books or websites off the top of my head, but reading your post reminded me of a former friend of mine. That friend used to be best friends with an old friend of mine, and they broke up because of the former friend's passive-aggressiveness... it was really messy. It also made me realize that I've also been guilty of being passive-aggressive myself (I already realized I'm a passive person and want to work on enforcing my boundaries and being honest when I'm unhappy with something instead of going along with it...), unfortunately. Now that I think about it, I've been surrounded by (or maybe I surrounded myself with) people who are passive-aggressive... parents, siblings, friends, classmates... I wanted to say thanks for your post, because I probably wouldn't have realized this until much later.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to detect a passive-aggressive person early on, because like you said, they seem very nice, but once you're deeper into the relationship, it's too late. I'm not sure if it matches up with your experience, but it's like their true colours don't show until you've established a relationship with them? Like, at the beginning they don't know you too well so they aren't as comfortable at expressing any dissatisfaction they have towards you, but as the relationship goes on, they get more and more comfortable being angry at you, but they still do it indirectly, so it's like you feel like you're just kidding yourself. And they feel entitled to their anger/to you having to pander to them because the relationship has progressed and therefore it means their feelings should be important/known to you, but the other party isn't aware because the passive-aggressive person keeps hiding their feelings. It's like you can't tell because they may say nice things/act nice on the outside, but on the inside, their feelings/thoughts don't match. For all you know, they are completely fine with you or with what's happening.

I guess I would just try to trust my gut instinct more whenever I feel like someone feels negative when they're acting like they're fine (which is hypocritical of me, because I tend to dismiss my gut feelings because I have a hard time trusting myself/I think I'm just being unreasonable).

I like what waitingforrest wrote. Especially with the statement that "passive aggressiveness reflects more on the person than you." Though when I feel hurt by something someone did, I can recognize when it wasn't meant to intentionally hurt me, and I don't expect people to understand me anyway when I don't say anything (I acknowledge that it's because I don't say anything, I just fear confrontation, which I need to learn to overcome), or expect people to spend a bunch of time figuring out what they did and then get mad that it took so long when they finally do. I'm glad I haven't had to be on the end of a passive-aggressive person's anger most times, somehow I'm deemed nice and normal enough to be on people's good side (but I guess I'm not similar enough to them to ever have deeper relationships). But now when I look back, these people have been passive-aggressive towards others.

Maybe because of trauma, maybe because they're jealous of you, maybe because they want to be polite, maybe they're shy, maybe because they don't want to hurt your feelings, maybe because they are insecure about themselves/their thoughts, maybe because of trust issues... whatever the reason, they are holding themselves back from being upfront with you about their true feelings. But it doesn't excuse them from hurting others, and it doesn't mean they should get sympathy from those they hurt.

I think I'm talking too much about myself now, but I tried finding some links that could help answer your question. Hopefully it helps, though you may have already seen these. And I feel like a lot of these just state the behaviours of a passive-aggressive person, which you're probably already really familiar with due to your history with passive-aggressive people:

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Always say NO when you wanna say NO. If saying NO makes you feel any discomfort, than that person is toxic, you can feel it, just don't know it yet conciously.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Alot of people act like that when they feel they can get away with it, or have an excuse, ie. Being drunk etc.

lostautist

lostautist

wandering
Jan 12, 2022
Thanks. I read over this, and most of it doesn't really fit the people I've known. They've seemed really nice at first, and the manipulation was pretty much passive avoidance.

I posted that because I've dealt with a fair bit of passive aggressive behavior in my time, and quite a few of them have been intentionally or unintentionally emotionally manipulative in some sort of way. They are really hard to spot, won't explain themselves and use attitude and will react with negativity and if you see any of those manipulative traits that could help you realize you're dealing with someone like that. Sociopaths and narcissists can behave very similarly but for different reasons, and I kinda lump them together because they're all signs of unhealthy relationships with boundary issues and some may use negativity against you.

Some people with low self esteem, are very shy, or can be too afraid to explain themselves, or think the other person wouldn't care why they're upset can behave similarly. I used to be like this when I was young. If someone would hurt my feelings, I would be ashamed to explain myself and pretend it didn't happen, and if this happened a few times I would react negatively and push myself away to avoid this from happening again. I wasn't being passive aggressive, I was reacting defensively to protect my feelings and I didn't feel worthy enough to confront this due to anxiety and insecurities and assumed that I was the one being mistreated. I didn't see my negativity as an action, just as a reaction. I think because I was abused and neglected in my early childhood, I was never taught to share or explain my feelings because they, or I, never mattered.

Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
They then become petty, avoidant, and incredibly hurtful.
I'd say just stop talking to them as soon as you feel uncomfortable and get the feeling that they're unwilling to clearly express their feelings and be genuine with you.

no point in wasting time with people like that, honestly. This is not their personality. they're only emotionally distant with you because they have little consideration and respect for you. They don't think you're worth spending time on trying to find resolution or fix things.

It's up to you to move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldLeafIndigo
GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

Jan 20, 2022
Yup, and that's when I'm done. Problem is, I've invested a lot of time and energy into the relationship before this behavior begins to really show. So i want to recognize it fast when I meet someone and not engage them further.