Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
How did you guys pick a date to ctb? My date is currently just-future.

Reactions: Belit667
Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
I wanted to do it on my father's death anniversary next year.

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Picking a date in advance is generally a sign that you won't go through with it.

Reactions: AlreadyGone, Fragile, Linda and 2 others
Uselessatbest

Uselessatbest

Student
Oct 9, 2019
My date is asap whenever I find a partner to help me ctb

• Hugs
Reactions: Lorntroubles, deleted, LetzteAusfahrt and 2 others
iDieUDie80

iDieUDie80

Arcanist
Jul 6, 2020
Deciding whether to do it before or after I get together with my friend. I have no clue what the next couple of months have in store, so I suppose I'm playing it a little by ear.

Reactions: crybaby
W3akCr3atur3

W3akCr3atur3

Empty and hollow
Aug 3, 2020
Choosing a date can make it only harder to actually do it. For me I will just wait until I have everything ready and feel too bad again. Whenever things goes too bad and I feel extremely bad it might be the time.

Reactions: bokete, redbutterfly and crybaby

Student
Aug 23, 2019
Setting a specific date has always lead me to backing out, so I have a general time frames in my head. I'd ideally like to do it in November or January. Whether it'll be this upcoming winter or not, I don't know. Possibly November because it's my favorite month and I think it would be nice to go out during a time of the year that I love, plus I have a great grandmother that died several years ago close to Thanksgiving, so I wouldn't be completely ruining the holidays. (That sounds so sick actually typed out??). Possibly January because it's just dismal in general, it's always cold and always feels like the longest month ever to me. No holidays or family/friend birthdays around that time either. It's all arbitrary to be honest

Reactions: bokete and redbutterfly
falloutcarter13

falloutcarter13

Bury me, bury me...
Aug 1, 2020
Picking a date in advance is generally a sign that you won't go through with it.
Not sure how true this is for everybody...I won't know until mine's come and gone, but right now, making a decision to pick a date (when I have a little more info about my situation)...well, I feel a lot more comfortable and committed with carrying it out properly this time. I've never planned it before, just had the pressure build until I gave it some attempt that I knew had a decent chance of failure, at least on some level. But the time to prepare mentally/emotionally, finalize a will, write letters, plan logistics, research and decide on method and then acquire the supplies...well, the whole process is time consuming, so its on my mind constantly. Every minute I'm awake, I'm constantly evaluating every part of it and always checking to see if I'm truly committed, and so far the answer has been yes, without a doubt. I feel like there's gotta be tons of people who take their time, meticulously plan it out, and carry through. Just an opinion, not arguing with you...just presenting a different POV =)

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Yes, I think it's better to just prepare and have a vague idea, then if a particular day happens to feel right, you just go ahead and do it.

Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
Yes, I think it's better to just prepare and have a vague idea, then if a particular day happens to feel right, you just go ahead and do it.

I strongly disagree. I have a specific date. I will do all what I need beforehand and do it on the anniversary as the ultimate tribute.

Reactions: Wayfaerer and redbutterfly
FriendofDeath

FriendofDeath

Elementalist
May 22, 2020
I don't exactly have a date, but I'd consider either the day my son was born or, more likely, the day my son passed away. At least it doesn't add another day of mourning to remaining family.

• Aww..
Reactions: Fragile
omsoc

omsoc

omsoc
May 8, 2019
I'm going to do it when I make more memories with my family. I've got my exit bag items all ready to go. I'm conflicted on doing it after Christmas as it's 4 months away and I don't want to ruin this Christmas for everyone.

Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
I'm going to do it when I make more memories with my family. I've got my exit bag items all ready to go. I'm conflicted on doing it after Christmas as it's 4 months away and I don't want to ruin this Christmas for everyone.

That's very thoughtful of you.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I'm a little torn on picking a date. Sometimes we pick a date because we want to wait for something else to take place first. Well, there are always things that come up, and it's super easy to keep putting it off. On the other hand, perhaps you just want to be sure to have things in order.

I think there are other considerations that might be more important. For example:
  1. A date not to pick. I wouldn't want to do it on the birthday or other meaningful day of a loved one. (For my worst enemy, though... maybe.)
  2. Giving yourself enough time to do your research and obtain your materials. Do you feel absolutely confident about your method? Have you read the resources thoroughly and engaged in discussion on the forums?
  3. A location. This could be related to the date, in the sense that availability and feasibility of getting to your preferred location may be an important factor. I know that I don't want to do it at home. That will likely have a bearing on my timing.
Those are just a few off the top of my head, but there are likely more.

Reactions: bokete and Belit667
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I strongly disagree. I have a specific date. I will do all what I need beforehand and do it on the anniversary as the ultimate tribute.

I'll take your word for it. Good luck!

Rue89

Rue89

Visionary
Feb 10, 2020
I haven't picked a date, just need to go asap, and if possible, when my mom is away so I'll be able to ctb at home.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I stopped going for a specific date, life kept getting in the way.

Right now, the only date I have is the expiration date on my N, and that's because I don't want to do it with any other method.

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendofDeath
Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
Your choice.
My date is my father's death date.

SoIntoYou

SoIntoYou

Pillowman
Jul 9, 2020
I wouldn't plan a date if I were most people. It just creates a sense of dread, kind of like a school deadline. The time to CTB is when it feels right, given that you've prepared fully.

Reactions: FriendofDeath
Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
Why? I believe it's the opposite.
I have a goal, clean my mess and do it. The date is my father's death anniversary.
What you guys offer is procrastrination while playing Fortnite. Thumbs down.

AlreadyGone

AlreadyGone

Taking it day by day
Jan 11, 2020
Why? I believe it's the opposite.
I have a goal, clean my mess and do it. The date is my father's death anniversary.
What you guys offer is procrastrination while playing Fortnite. Thumbs down.

You have a clear goal, but often I find that when people select a date, they don't go through with it on that date. Usually people go on impulse or when it feels right to go.

Reactions: Fragile
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
Im pretty curious about the upcoming US election, might hang on to see who wins that and the reaction that follows, then pull the plug.

Reactions: Wayfaerer
Dima2

Dima2

Jul 24, 2020
when everything is ready , i will wait 3 days and carry on , you gonna leave anyway so why not

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I haven't picked a date, just need to go asap, and if possible, when my mom is away so I'll be able to ctb at home.
Yeah feel you with this one. My mom is a stay at home mom so she doesn't go out too much. I think that I'll know when I'm ready and do it then and there. I'm bad at picking dates and don't have any significant dates