S

saomao

Student
Jun 12, 2019
If I go to a mental hospital and tell them I'm suicidal will they suggest ect? Or they will try a bunch of meds first? Or they lock me up? ( I already tried some meds didn't do shit)

Last edited:
D

DoingIt4ThemNotMe

Jul 15, 2019
I don't think they'll suggest ect right away, although it is possible that later they'd do so. I myself wish I could get it done cos it was my last hope but I dunno if my family will allow it. I'm assuming you live an independent life, if I were you I'd go for it because I've heard miracles about ect(and minor disasters too) I think they'd give meds first and if that doesn't work they might lock you up. Sorry if my answer is a bit vague, I just joined on here

Reactions: SelfHatingAspie
SelfHatingAspie

SelfHatingAspie

Ambitious but rubbish
Jul 2, 2019
If I go to a mental hospital and tell them I'm suicidal will they suggest ect? Or they will try a bunch of meds first? Or they lock me up? ( I already tried some meds didn't do shit)

It depends on where you live and how your country's health system treats mental illness.

My understanding is that ECT is administered when someone has major depression and had failed to respond to at least three or four different antidepressants. If you've only tried one lot of meds, then you'll probably need to try at least a couple more (possibly with an antipsych thrown in) before ECT is considered. Mainly because it's considered to be the treatment of last resort in many jurisdictions.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Egddios and NoDream
J

Jeremy

Jul 11, 2019
I've been in the mental health system for 9 years and was only just suggested ECT a few weeks ago. I start my first treatment on Friday, postponing CTB plans until I finish... here's hoping for some improvement.

Talk to your provider about it - most insurances cover it (mine didn't at first but your provider should work with you). The hardest part is finding a location near you that offers it, but your mental health care provider should know that information.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about my own experience with finding resources on it or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: SelfHatingAspie