• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

E

eremito

Student
Sep 18, 2019
Apart from alcohol, what other substances can be used to accelerate loss of body heat in cold weather?

• Hugs
Reactions: Hopeindeath!
darksideofthebright

darksideofthebright

Check in on your happy friend
Nov 10, 2020
It is a small-scaled research, but this articles mentioned some antidepressants as the cause for hypothermia:

However, hypothermia has also been reported in the context of the use of antipsychotic drugs (APDs, neuroleptics), including clozapine (5), pipamperone (6), risperidone (7), olanzapine (8), aripiprazole (9), ziprasidone (10), and zotepine (11)

StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
I wrote a thread about it recently and tried it out. Here's my findings:

1) Alcohol helps to move heat from your your core to your skin, which is what you want. It also keeps you feeling warm and inhibits the shivering to some degree.
2) Water removes heat 25 times faster.
3) Fasting helps stop shivering, it's linked to the circadian rhythm and also helps you to drop your body temperature lower when you sleep.
4) You need to be knocked out like totally unconscious.

In my attempt 1: I sat in a very cold bath for about 30 minutes with no alcohol, then laid on the bed for another 30 minutes naked, outside temp c.1C to 2C. After this my body was very cold, i got under the covers and was cold all night, weird body shakes while I warmed up.

Attempt 2: Cold bath for about 45 mins, outside temp about 1C to 2C, then laid naked on bed. Alcohol (not lots - roughly 4 high alcohol lagers) then 1 over the counter sleeping pill chewed up. Out like a light.

I don't know how long i was out for, maybe an hour or 2. Woke up freezing cold and couldn't stand the discomfort so got under covers.

Felt really cold all night, pain in leg muscles and knees, reduced motor function, couldn't stand up, and was seriously cold.

I think the key is to try and cool your core as much as possible first to make the actual time to ctb as fast as possible (alcohol helps with this), then MOST important - take enough additional alcohol and drugs to make sure you're out for several hours.

It's the being out for the count for a long time that will make the difference. If you wake up and you're freezing cold then self preservation will take over.

Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
I think this would be an awful way to die, but if this is the only method you have available to you, I'm guessing you don't have the option of using potent sedatives (aside from alcohol). I'd say water would be your best bet. Soaking wet clothing and no option of getting warm when your SI kicks in (such as drenching your sleeping bag, blankets, other clothes in water if camping in the snow, etc.).

Raminiki

Raminiki

Iustitia Mortuus
Jun 12, 2020
Wind is also a factor to consider.

signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
This method is getting more and more appealing. It feels doable and somehow appropriate for me.

Reactions: NodusTollens
E

eremito

Student
Sep 18, 2019
2) Water removes heat 25 times faster.
4) You need to be knocked out like totally unconscious.
2) I mean doing it outside, with wet clothes - hope that cold and wet underwear and clothes may bring the same results as bath
2a) the risk is that this attempt may end up in frostbites, toe and finger amputation, instead of lethal hypothermia. Do you know the measures to programme the body to the latter.
4) I think that fasting is a good option and sleep deprivation in the preceding night. Then I may take a sleeping pill
5) coffee - yes or no? does caffeine restrict or dilute peripheral blood vessels? (action contradictory to that of a sleeping pill)