quietwater

quietwater

delusional poet
May 2, 2023
Do you know if there's any method I could use for dying peacefully by drowning, or in the sea?
I'd love to die in the water.
I live in a port city, there are beaches and wharfs, so anything is okay. Please write anything, any resource is well accepted. I'm gonna CTB anyway, but I want to know if I can do it as I dream of.

NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
I live on an Island, I'm always just minutes from the ocean.

One of my past suicide attempts, I took an overdose of sedatives. Probably not enough to kill me, but that was fine--my idea was to get myself to the water and drown when the sedatives knocked me unconscious.

It would have worked, but some stranger found me passed out at the water's edge. I ended up in the ICU in a coma for a week or two, then was moved to the psych ward once I was conscious and moving.

It very nearly worked. I would've died if I hadn't been rescued. I didn't suffer at all during the attempt. One minute I was walking up to the water and feeling dizzy, the next thing I knew I woke up in the ICU.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, vampire2002, Hunter2005 and 5 others
Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024

One of my past suicide attempts, I took an overdose of sedatives. Probably not enough to kill me, but that was fine--my idea was to get myself to the water and drown when the sedatives knocked me unconscious.

It would have worked, but some stranger found me passed out at the water's edge. I ended up in the ICU in a coma for a week or two, then was moved to the psych ward once I was conscious and moving.

It very nearly worked. I would've died if I hadn't been rescued. I didn't suffer at all during the attempt. One minute I was walking up to the water and feeling dizzy, the next thing I knew I woke up in the ICU.
What medications did you take exactly? And how many?

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023

Bear in mind that many sedatives e.g., benzodiazepines can be amnesiac. Meaning you could be conscious but you just don't remember it

Just food for thought/caution

Best bet is to fall asleep fully submerged with your head in a place resting where upon unconsciousness it will slide into the water.

E.g., a small log or some kind of contraption that will "roll" you into the water if that makes sense

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vampire2002, nomoredolor and sevennn
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
Bear in mind that many sedatives e.g., benzodiazepines can be amnesiac. Meaning you could be conscious but you just don't remember it

Just food for thought/caution
I took Seroquel. I do have experience with... abusing it, taking larger amounts than I should just to sleep my life away. I'm aware of what it feels like just before I actually pass out.

What medications did you take exactly? And how many?
Seroquel.

It would have been 4 to 5 grams total. Grams, not milligrams.

• Wow
Reactions: nomoredolor and EmptyCurtainCall
Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
I took Seroquel. I do have experience with... abusing it, taking larger amounts than I should just to sleep my life away. I'm aware of what it feels like just before I actually pass out.

Seroquel.

It would have been 4 to 5 grams total. Grams, not milligrams.
I understand. It is not a sleep medication.

sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
i would really like to take somethign that knocks me out while in the water and then die. that sounds very nice to me. i can't believe i can't find any such drug cocktail. surely somethign can knock you out.. there has to be somethign.

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
i would really like to take somethign that knocks me out while in the water and then die. that sounds very nice to me. i can't believe i can't find any such drug cocktail. surely somethign can knock you out.. there has to be somethign.
Fuck load of benzodiazepines is definitely the way to go

Reactions: nembutaldream and sevennn
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
Fuck load of benzodiazepines is definitely the way to go
like different kinds? i wonder if slapping alcohol on top be a good idea. idk something about drowning sounds so peaceful (given that you black out first of course) maybe you could crush them up. put them in a water bottle to drink. then go into the water and drink and swim a bit. then you'd black out and die. but this is all imagination ofc. idk if it would work

EmptyCurtainCall

EmptyCurtainCall

Oct 11, 2024

that sounds like such a cool and peaceful idea, especially if someone really enjoys being by the water.

Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
that sounds like such a cool and peaceful idea, especially if someone really enjoys being by the water.
I've lived by the ocean for almost my entire life, it's so beautiful.

I can't swim and water terrifies me, though.

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
like different kinds? i wonder if slapping alcohol on top be a good idea. idk something about drowning sounds so peaceful (given that you black out first of course) maybe you could crush them up. put them in a water bottle to drink. then go into the water and drink and swim a bit. then you'd black out and die. but this is all imagination ofc. idk if it would work
Doesn't need to be different kinds. If you have extra kinds it wouldn't hurt. As long as the dosage is adjusted to the specific strength of said benzo is all that matters. Crushing is fine.

Mixing with alcohol doesn't hurt but isn't necessary if the dose of benzos is correct.

An antiemetic wouldn't hurt either but isn't necessary as long as the dose is correct.

Benzos are incredibly hard to overdose on alone but the threshold for unconsciousness is low-moderate so the more the merrier.

So long as you end up unconscious in a position where your head will end up fully submerged.

Another thing to look out for is to make sure your mouth isn't coming in/out of the water (e.g, from waves washing in and out). During axphixiation the body may also seize and change position. The last thing you want is restricted airflow sufficient to cause brain damage but insufficient to cause full death of the brainstem.

So be sure to be in a position where upon losing consciousness the head will be fully submerged

Reactions: nembutaldream, nomoredolor and sevennn
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
Doesn't need to be different kinds. If you have extra kinds it wouldn't hurt. As long as the dosage is adjusted to the specific strength of said benzo is all that matters. Crushing is fine.

Mixing with alcohol doesn't hurt but isn't necessary if the dose of benzos is correct.

An antiemetic wouldn't hurt either but isn't necessary as long as the dose is correct.

Benzos are incredibly hard to overdose on alone but the threshold for unconsciousness is low-moderate so the more the merrier.

So long as you end up unconscious in a position where your head will end up fully submerged.

Another thing to look out for is to make sure your mouth isn't coming in/out of the water (e.g, from waves washing in and out). During axphixiation the body may also seize and change position. The last thing you want is restricted airflow sufficient to cause brain damage but insufficient to cause full death of the brainstem.

So be sure to be in a position where upon losing consciousness the head will be fully submerged
so like diving a bit? that's actually the only way i know how to swim lol. i don't know how to swim at all 🥲

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
so like diving a bit? that's actually the only way i know how to swim lol. i don't know how to swim at all 🥲
Sure. One could just stand upright in the water. There could be a short period of distress between losing consciousness as you begin to drown but it would likely be incredibly subtle. I think the ideal circumstance would have your head and body supported by something (e.g., a ladder, log, whatever) until you reach the point you can no longer support your own body being upright.

I often imagine a large bathtub as well with a sharp incline where one would naturally slip into the water along the incline as they lost consciousness.

One would need to get a bit creative to avoid any distress during the absorption period where one is in the process of/on the brink of losing consciousness. I suspect the distress would be small or insignificant and others who have survived report it to be quite peaceful.

Hope this helps

As always I encourage people to do a lot of psychospiritual preparation for dying, including support from loved ones where possible (I know this can seem an impossible task for many given suicide stigma/prohibition, but if it's possible it is worth its weight in gold) and of course seriously deliberate options for both living and dying preferable over a number of months at the least (perhaps even a year or two). But, it is never my place to tell people what to do beyond encouraging reflexive introspection & consideration :)

Last edited:
Reactions: divinemistress36, nomoredolor and sevennn
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
Sure. One could just stand upright in the water. There could be a short period of distress between losing consciousness as you begin to drown but it would likely be incredibly subtle. I think the ideal circumstance would have your head and body supported by something (e.g., a ladder, log, whatever) until you reach the point you can no longer support your own body being upright.

I often imagine a large bathtub as well with a sharp incline where one would naturally slip into the water along the incline as they lost consciousness.

One would need to get a bit creative to avoid any distress during the absorption period where one is in the process of/on the brink of losing consciousness. I suspect the distress would be small or insignificant and others who have survived report it to be quite peaceful.

Hope this helps
sounds ideal i wonder if you can still wake up underwater.

Reactions: nembutaldream
P

Parnate

Student
Dec 16, 2021

After u got unconscious did you have any visions or anything about afterlife ??

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
sounds ideal i wonder if you can still wake up underwater.
Unlikely if the drugs have taken proper effect. Dosage is key. Preventing vomiting with an antiemetic is pretty foolproof as well in terms of drug effects/unconsciousness (not necessarily ctb success due to other factors though; there's 0 foolproof methods besides MAID)

Reactions: nomoredolor and sevennn
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
Unlikely if the drugs have taken proper effect. Dosage is key. Preventing vomiting with an antiemetic is pretty foolproof as well in terms of drug effects/unconsciousness (not necessarily ctb success due to other factors though; there's 0 foolproof methods besides MAID)
true but with drowning if no one sees you and you are underwater. you die. it just seems so certain compared to other methods

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
true but with drowning if no one sees you and you are underwater. you die. it just seems so certain compared to other methods
Statistically, many people are found and do survive. Survival instinct is impossible to forecast/predict as well and can lead to various failed attempts for a number of reasons.

If you are blackout and fully submerged and do not get found after a number of hours, yes, you will die. But, according to the stats, the majority of people underestimate the odds of these factors that lead to things going wrong occurring. Even with good planning.

I wish it were more simple, but in the spirit of transparency & informed decision making, I'm married to the facts.

MAID is the only foolproof method. SN per the SN protocol is not far behind. Drowning combined with sedatives is only moderately reliable, statistically speaking.

Reactions: nomoredolor
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
Statistically, many people are found and do survive. Survival instinct is impossible to forecast/predict as well and can lead to various failed attempts for a number of reasons.

If you are blackout and fully submerged and do not get found after a number of hours, yes, you will die. But, according to the stats, the majority of people underestimate the odds of these factors that lead to things going wrong occurring.

I wish it were more simple, but in the spirit of transparency & informed decision making, I'm married to the facts.
id rather go to the pond i've been eyeing at nighttime so no one sees me. i doubt anyone will be there. if i decide on this at all. but i think there are ways to minimise risks perhaps

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

Oct 24, 2023
id rather go to the pond i've been eyeing at nighttime so no one sees me. i doubt anyone will be there. if i decide on this at all. but i think there are ways to minimise risks perhaps
Re: "I doubt anyone will be there"

Intuition is misleading and one of the most common sources of human bias.

Risk-reduction will help improve your odds, but it's worth knowing your odds are far from 100%, so you can make an educated decision.

Stats will always be more predictive of future outcomes than intuition. Have you read the stats on drowning with sedatives?

Reactions: nomoredolor
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
"I doubt anyone will be there"

Intuition is misleading and one of the most common human biases.

Risk-reduction will help improve your odds, but it's worth knowing your odds are far from 100%, so you can make an educated decision.

Stats will always be more predictive of future outcomes than intuition. Have you read the stats on drowning with sedatives?
reading stats and worrying about it is what kept me here needlessly for way too much time anyway

NegevChina

NegevChina

Sep 5, 2024
I've been considering the same plan. I live near a sandy beach, water right now are pretty warm and quiet as a lake, water level increases very gradually. I can actually get in to the water with my hands out, holding a water bottle and pills, sit on the sea bed with my head and hands above the water, then take an OD of ambien that is a sleeping pill, and just wait to pass out.

Reactions: sevennn
A

anemicamoeba

Oct 5, 2024
My understanding of the physics of this is pretty terrible lol, but is there any chance you end up floating on your back and survive just because of that? I've seen that scenario used as a plot point in films enough times that it feels possible to me lol, but maybe that's entirely made up.

I like the idea of doing this in the bathtub, because I don't have access to other bodies of water, but it seems scary that you could end up not quite under the surface and damage yourself without accomplishing the goal....

NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
wow. a coma… you inhaled a lot of water then? do you have any damage now?
I'm not sure how much water I took in. The coma could have been purely from the Seroquel overdose.

AFAIK I have no after effects from that attempt.

• Hugs
Reactions: sevennn