• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Getting started with therapy is something that can be quite overwhelming in a number of different ways—investing financial resources, possibly dealing with insurance companies, making the time not only to attend sessions but to do our own work in-between them, and so on. It can be demoralising to make sacrifices and compromises to start therapy, only to find ourselves sitting across someone who is apparently unable to help us. The possibility of ending up in such a situation, or the experience of having been there before, can prevent us from seeking out help and support from a professional, even if we feel the need to do so.

The question of how to choose a therapist is one that I see posted here fairly frequently. Besides figuring out all the logistical aspects of starting therapy, knowing what to look for (and what to avoid) is a fundamental part of the process. This article by Prof. Jonathan Shedler, in my opinion, does a very good job of answering the question. I'm sharing it here in hopes that some of you might find it useful.

Psychology Today - How to Choose a Therapist

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
I actually have a list of interview questions prepared for my therapist, so that if I don't like the answer I can just end things early. It's like speed dating but for therapy. I ask about psychology/social work controversies, basic screening questions like making sure they're not homo/transphobic, and ask what they specialize in to make sure they don't do CBT/DBT. I also have a fake scenario prepared for the first session, so that I can evaluate how I feel about their opinions while remaining emotionally detached (so that it's as objective as possible). I'm not looking to spill my life story, which involves a LOT of suicide related shit, to a person I've only known for an hour.

Reactions: TransilvanianHunger
Sadgirl121

Sadgirl121

Dec 12, 2023
When I look at finding a therapist (I needed one very very badly back in August/September), my choices were limited due to financial reasons. However I got extremely lucky with where my mother works (Yes I am over 18 I'm 23) her office provides free counselling to employees, family of the employee, as well as our first nations community. Because of that I was able to choose between one of 7 licensed psychologists, to be able to access, at no cost to me, completely anonymous, and her office covered the bills, when the psychologist sends the invoice there is no name attached, just a client number to protect the identity of the accessee. This was tremendously helpful however I still had the question of who do I pick. Well, I read through all of their bios, and eliminated the ones who did not mention that they worked with trauma and survivors of Domestic/Sexual abuse. That took down my candidate pool to around 3. I then went to each website, read about how they usually do their sessions, what they're "style" I guess you could say, of therapy was.

I ultimately ended up going with one who doesn't attack the trauma by forcing you to talk about it and reliving it, but separates it into different parts, your past self, present self. Different parts of you, from each of those, which for me have become numerous, We have given these "Parts" of me different names, The protector, the part that always feels like I can't let people get close to me or I'll get hurt again, I have The Reflector, which has always worked on seeing what I could've done differently, I have The Scared Child, which is self explanatory, The Bully, this one always beats myself up for not doing something differently, and not speaking up about my abuse when I was in that situation. Some of these parts like my therapist, some do not.

These are all different parts of me, and what my therapist has helped me and is currently still helping me do, is to show these various parts, that while I still need them in some capacity, they do not have to do the same job as hard as they have over the last 16 years. It is a process, and one that I am very freshly into, and it will take time, it will not take a few more sessions, it will take many many months, if not years to fully heal from my childhood traumas. This is what has worked best with me.

My last therapist (back in 2020), took the approach of, if you don't talk about it, we don't deal with it, which ultimately made me very very weary to go back into therapy, and why I took so long to start again. I went back into therapy because, I had one night, back in August or September, where I lied in bed at 1AM and I cried my eyes out. I cried for probably 4 and a half hours straight. The first time in years that I had genuinely cried and felt utterly worthless. I was ready to get in my car and CTB that night. But I stayed in bed, I grabbed my weighted blanket, and I curled into a ball and cried myself to sleep. The next day I told my mum what happened, and she helped me get into therapy.

I told my current therapist that I am unwilling to go on anti-depressants, as I would rather feel sad all the time, than nothing at all. They have respected my wishes completely and has never once brought up the idea in or out of therapy. This is what a good therapist in my opinion should do. Mine has treated me like a normal person, and not seen me as a victim, or anything like that. They've always been kind, caring, and when I loose focus, or I zone out while talking about difficult thing, they bring me back into reality gently, sometimes, my ADHD brain will not let me put into words what I am trying to think, and they understand that. When it does come to me, we go back to that.

All in all this in my opinion is what makes a good therapist, and what someone should look for when searching for one.

Sadgirl121
Signing out

• Love
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I actually have a list of interview questions prepared for my therapist, so that if I don't like the answer I can just end things early. It's like speed dating but for therapy. I ask about psychology/social work controversies, basic screening questions like making sure they're not homo/transphobic, and ask what they specialize in to make sure they don't do CBT/DBT. I also have a fake scenario prepared for the first session, so that I can evaluate how I feel about their opinions while remaining emotionally detached (so that it's as objective as possible). I'm not looking to spill my life story, which involves a LOT of suicide related shit, to a person I've only known for an hour.
That's an interesting approach, and not an uncommon one, I think. I don't particularly like the idea of speed dating, and I wouldn't apply it to therapy either, but that's just me. I might be off, but if you have a system in place already I'd imagine you've had a few experiences with trying new therapists already? And, if you don't mind my asking, has any therapist commented on your approach after encountering it? From your description alone, there are some noteworthy things that I'd consider worth discussing if I were in the therapist's shoes.
I ultimately ended up going with one who doesn't attack the trauma by forcing you to talk about it and reliving it, but separates it into different parts, your past self, present self. Different parts of you, from each of those, which for me have become numerous, We have given these "Parts" of me different names, The protector, the part that always feels like I can't let people get close to me or I'll get hurt again, I have The Reflector, which has always worked on seeing what I could've done differently, I have The Scared Child, which is self explanatory, The Bully, this one always beats myself up for not doing something differently, and not speaking up about my abuse when I was in that situation. Some of these parts like my therapist, some do not.

These are all different parts of me, and what my therapist has helped me and is currently still helping me do, is to show these various parts, that while I still need them in some capacity, they do not have to do the same job as hard as they have over the last 16 years. It is a process, and one that I am very freshly into, and it will take time, it will not take a few more sessions, it will take many many months, if not years to fully heal from my childhood traumas. This is what has worked best with me.
These different "aspects" of your self seem like good way of describing what happens after experiencing trauma. The human mind can find all sorts of strategies to protect itself in these situations, and compartmentalising or splitting off various aspects of the self makes a great deal of sense as a survival mechanism. Working on a "reconciliation" of sorts, between all the different aspects with the goal of reintegrating them into a whole self again, by way of acknowledging their existence, their original purpose, and what they bring to the table for you in the present strikes me as a much better way to deal with the trauma than attempting to force a confrontation between the present and the past. I'm happy to hear you've found a therapist who can work with you through that and that you're finding it beneficial.

My last therapist (back in 2020), took the approach of, if you don't talk about it, we don't deal with it, which ultimately made me very very weary to go back into therapy, and why I took so long to start again. I went back into therapy because, I had one night, back in August or September, where I lied in bed at 1AM and I cried my eyes out. I cried for probably 4 and a half hours straight. The first time in years that I had genuinely cried and felt utterly worthless. I was ready to get in my car and CTB that night. But I stayed in bed, I grabbed my weighted blanket, and I curled into a ball and cried myself to sleep. The next day I told my mum what happened, and she helped me get into therapy.
I kind of get the idea of not talking about things that the patient hasn't mentioned, but it sounds like that previous therapist didn't go about it the right way. The notion behind it is that the patient will dictate the "pace" of the work, so to speak, and they'll talk about issues when they feel ready to address them. The therapist can't back you into a metaphorical corner to get you to talk about something that you aren't ready to discuss. But part of the job of the therapist is to identify things that the patient is not saying, which are as important—and sometimes even more so—than the things they do say, and gently guide the patient towards a situation where they feel ready to talk about those things. If the approach, however, is closer to "if you don't talk about it, it's not there" then that sounds like the therapist was failing at their job.
I told my current therapist that I am unwilling to go on anti-depressants, as I would rather feel sad all the time, than nothing at all. They have respected my wishes completely and has never once brought up the idea in or out of therapy. This is what a good therapist in my opinion should do. Mine has treated me like a normal person, and not seen me as a victim, or anything like that. They've always been kind, caring, and when I loose focus, or I zone out while talking about difficult thing, they bring me back into reality gently, sometimes, my ADHD brain will not let me put into words what I am trying to think, and they understand that. When it does come to me, we go back to that.
Sounds like you've found a competent, capable therapist. Personally, I have a mixed view of medication—I think meds can be useful for some problems and for some people, but currently there is a big, big problem with over-prescription, mainly of anti-depressants, in cases where they're not necessary. Prescriptions have become a crutch for the less competent therapists who, instead of taking their role seriously and working with the patient, decide to offload their responsibility to pills.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sadgirl121
Sadgirl121

Sadgirl121

Dec 12, 2023
Sounds like you've found a competent, capable therapist. Personally, I have a mixed view of medication—I think meds can be useful for some problems and for some people, but currently there is a big, big problem with over-prescription, mainly of anti-depressants, in cases where they're not necessary. Prescriptions have become a crutch for the less competent therapists who, instead of taking their role seriously and working with the patient, decide to offload their responsibility to pills.
The therapist truly has been wonderful for me. Im very grateful for him.

• Love
K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
Just to add my two cents... I've had a lot of experience with therapists. I've gone to a bunch of them. I think maybe like 5 or something (plus a psychiatrist). For years I didn't make any progress at all with these people. But eventually I found my current psychologist and she helped me a lot.

For a while I was barely able to leave my house and I wasn't able to go to school due to social anxiety and failure anxiety. After a few months with her I was capable of going to school again and a few months after that I had beaten my social anxiety enough to find a girlfriend.

Now, I'm still here, so as you can tell things didn't keep going well for me. However, that wasn't her fault. She has helped me a LOT over the years. But she's also not a miracle worker. I came to her extremely fucked up as a person and with my life in complete tatters. So it was basically an impossible job for her to help me out of it completely. That and I just had bad luck a few times. Something that isn't her fault. Without her my life would've been considerably worse.

Basically what I would say is: Don't be afraid to try again. After my first therapist I almost gave up on therapy altogether. Same for after my second. Because I thought it didn't work for me. But I kept trying to find new ones and eventually I found one who did work for me.

The thing is, psychologists are different people and you need a good rapport with them as a person. And on top of that different psychologists have different methods. Personally, cognitive behavioural therapy worked really well for me. A lot of my previous psychologists would just talk about stuff. My current one really helped me deal with stuff practically, which was a much better approach for me.

So, yeah, I'd say try different psychologists and ones who have different methods. Don't be afraid to (after a sufficient time to be sure) switch psychologists sometimes. And if a few psychologists don't work, don't immediately conclude that therapy doesn't work for you. Because maybe it can and you just haven't found the right psychologist yet.

Reactions: SmollMushroom