• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

obei

obei

This is the only place where you can say “kys”
Aug 4, 2023
So I am 19, so kinda young adult… I am preparing for a prestigious art uni and something like community college in character design.
The issue is, I have the opportunity to get a full time job as a designer for minecraft.
The question is, do you think that I could handle a full time job and a uni or college? Is even possible to do both? Its a job from home, but I have to work 160 hours a month…
I just need an advice and thoughts on all this, from older and more experienced people on here.

surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
Your opportunity to work as a designer for Minecraft sounds promising, especially considering it's a WFH position.

I have seen my peers balancing a full-time job and uni while studying for a Computer Science degree. While they obviously experienced some decrease in GPA, the grades will not matter when you are 2+ years out of college, and your experience/social connections will be valued more.

If the university workload gets too high, you would be able to ask your employer to switch to part-time. If you have an offer and your employer knows that you are going to study full-time, then they take that into account when hiring you. If they don't, I think it is better to mention it to them.

~~~
A bit offtopic:
Its a job from home, but I have to work 160 hours a month…
The number of hours that you work does not matter. What matters is the results you deliver.

obei

obei

This is the only place where you can say “kys”
Aug 4, 2023
Your opportunity to work as a designer for Minecraft sounds promising, especially considering it's a WFH position.

I have seen my peers balancing a full-time job and uni while studying for a Computer Science degree. While they obviously experienced some decrease in GPA, the grades will not matter when you are 2+ years out of college, and your experience/social connections will be valued more.

If the university workload gets too high, you would be able to ask your employer to switch to part-time. If you have an offer and your employer knows that you are going to study full-time, then they take that into account when hiring you. If they don't, I think it is better to mention it to them.

~~~
A bit offtopic:

The number of hours that you work does not matter. What matters is the results you deliver.
Thank you for the advice, means a lot!

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
If you want to do both, you'd need to check if the uni you're applying to has night classes, so you could work during the day and study at night. That's how my father did it.

In terms of which matters most, a uni degree is needed for pretty much any job nowadays, not having one is a liability. On the other hand, work experience matters more in the long run. That first job, especially working for an established company like Mojang can open a lot of doors for you in game dev, and game dev is one of those fields where it is hard to get into.

I'd try to do both, putting uni for night time. If that's not possible, I'd try to get an arrangement with Mojang so you could work part-time instead, explaining that you're still finishing your studies. I wouldn't let go of the Mojang opportunity though.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
The job opportunity sounds amazing. Personally, I would prioritise that. I have two degrees in art but I think experience in the real world is so important. Like others have suggested, I think you should make your uni aware of the situation and whether there are options to study part time. I did a part time job for just over 20 hours a week during my second degree and, even that was tough. I think full time work alongside uni would be super tough but, it depends how much you enjoy it and want to do it. Good luck with it all!

• Hugs
Reactions: obei
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
That sounds like an incredible opportunity which you shouldn't pass up unless you really don't want it, and considering how it's completely remote it'll be less mentally taxing on you. It's definitely possible to do both as full-time, but it won't be easy. If you can manage time well and are confident you'll be able to do well on both of them separately then you should be fine.

Though you could also consider asking your university for advice or talk to the employer and explain that you're studying, chances are they will understand and put you as a part time worker during the semester and full-time on breaks, that's usually what employers do in cases like this. There might be times where you fall behind on either the job or university, which will end up negatively affecting both until you catch up, and if you're full-time for both it'll have a higher chance of happening in general.