N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Recently I have read in recovery a thread that there members on SS who lost his/her child to suicide. It must be very brutal and painful to lose a child. I think the relationship between parents and their children is often very intense. (Though there is also abuse like in my case but this is not the topic.)
I tried to imagine how it would feel like if I was in their shoes. How it feels like to lose a child. Probably it is unimaginable.

Though exactly these people are the ones who want to take down this forum the most. This makes it difficult to interact with them. These people are clearly in pain and in my opinion coping by blaming a group of people/website for their loss. This anger is probably like a valve for them. I think the motives when someone commits suicide are very heterogeneous and complex. It is easier to grasp when there is exactly one reason why someone has committed suicide.

I think there is probably no leeway to find a compromise with them. We have absolutely contrarian experiences with life. Though the people from this thread I mentioned above know both sides.

I can understand that there are many people angry about them in this forum because we consider this place as very valuable and we don't want to lose it. Moreover their tactics doxxing or spreading blatant lies (like this forum would sell suicide merch...) seem pretty questionable. I would prefer this discussion would not be fought in such a heated way. On the other side is there any sense in having a conversation at all when there is probably no compromise?

Their methods seem quite questionable. There are a lot of vulnerable people in this forum and many have reported bullying by them. I don't read many conversations of them on Twitter/Facebook. I only know this from anecdotes.

There is only one thing I would like to say. I don't want to defend these people. But when we are arguing with them we should say stuff like: "You should have more cared about your child"- Sometimes I read that argument and I don't find it a good one. When we see suicide as an autonomous decision of an individual there are probably more reasons for a suicide. We should not judge in this way. Except we know more details about it.

For me there is another point which I would critize. When I kill myself I don't want that my parents show my face on social media to take shots at a site that helped me so much to cope. On the other hand I don't know these people and cannot really judge about a specific case. For me personally I would absolutely hate it if my parents treated my suicide in this way. I am even a little bit scared that this might happen...I am pro-choice and I see this as my personal rational decision when I kill myself. I find it difficult to do such a thing without consent. Especially if the parents know their child was a defender of the right to die (like in my case.) Though many don't speak that openly about it.

What do you think about it?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Sherri, kohaku, ColorlessTrees and 2 others
T

Time of My Choosing

Feb 18, 2022
I fully defend someone's right to exit at a time of their own choosing. But, at the same time, you should recognize that this action will probably ruin your parents' lives. This is a cost which must be considered...

Reactions: Leiden, Manaaja and dreadpirateroberts69
L

Leiden

Arcanist
Sep 1, 2020
To all the people who are on here who lost a child, that want to harm the people here and the community, they would have found a way whether this site was here or not. Sad that it had to be that way,...truly, but some people can't be saved, no matter how much you want that.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, Manaaja and noname223
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I don't see any reason to do anything special tbh. If they are hostile to the forum then naturally they will not be welcomed here. At the same time, antagonistic comments towards them are not warranted. I would treat them like any other person who is experiencing pain.

Btw props to @noname223 for always making good thoughtful threads.

• Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Chinaski and Leiden
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I truly feel for those who have lost their children for any reason but that does not give them or anyone else the right to treat other adults like children just because those people happen to want the same things their children did. I also don't believe that the very concept of children themselves should be used as a bargaining tool to get what you want as a moral crusade. Also if that person is in their late 20s they are not a child anymore. I know I can't truly fathom what that kind of loss must be like but there are other ways to grieve than by bullying and shutting down the refuges of others feeling the same way their child did.

If either of my parents or any family or friend of mine ever come here and act hostile towards this site in my name, then you all have my permission to insult and humiliate them to your heart's desire. Don't bother trying to relate or help them with their grief because anyone stupid enough to care about me deserves to be verbally beaten up anyway.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, ColorlessTrees, Ringo and 4 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Firstly, it is important not to conflate 'grieving parents' with 'organisations striving to censor our community'.

With the exception of psychopathic parents (my father is one) who would feign sorrow at losing a child to garner attention, I feel overwhelming compassion for parents who have lost a child after spending decades bonding and raising them. In some cases, I'm sure they did all they could but the world got in their way.

By contrast, I feel no respect for the censorship organisations. Is it possible to fully respect the grief of all sincere parents but not support misguided attempts to destroy a community that is my only source of support? Yes, and I just did so now.

• Love
Reactions: demuic and Leiden
lostundead

lostundead

Student
Mar 18, 2021
On the other side is there any sense in having a conversation at all when there is probably no compromise?
Trying to have a conversation/debate with them is like pouring oil into the fire. The former admin of this site and a few members tried that already in the past and although they were very civil the fixthers turned to insults when their arguments were debunked, which didn't take long as you might imagine. I definitely remember one of them saying on twitter that Marquis (former admin) should be publicly executed. I think that anecdote should give you a good idea about how, not just pointless, but counterproductive it is to argue with them.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, WhiteRabbit and NumbItAll
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I think we should just ignore them. Arguing and trying to change their minds obviously isn't helping.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Crazy4u, ColorlessTrees and 2 others
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
I think we should just ignore them. Arguing and trying to change their minds obviously isn't helping.
Yeah, and tbh everything they do generates pages of unnecessary white noise on here. It was the NYT who did for the previous admin and they're a powerful media outlet, not a couple of people tweeting furiously to a sub 100 following.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy4u, WhiteRabbit and ColorlessTrees
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
In my case if I died, only my dad and prob my sister family wise would care. My mum doesn't exist to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223 and Silenos
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Most of the grieving suicide survivors will not go onto a crusade of any kind, including the crusade against this forum, and not all people campaigning agaist us are grieving parents. But I think that in most cases there is no potential for a constructive conversation with either of these groups, unless we have a person that reaches out on their own with a genuine desire to understand us (rather than the rhetorical "how could you?"). The campaigning groups, like all radicals, vehemently refuse to listen to any arguments from the other side of the fence, and people that grieve just have a hard time thinking rationally and having a rational conversation about the cause of their trauma and loss, so trying to explain or justify anything to either is mostly pointless.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, demuic and Dr Iron Arc