• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

Tired of existing

Nov 28, 2020
It seem to me, suicide is only considered a tragedy when young people are concerned.
Teens obviously, but also adults in the 20-30 age bracket.
Society generally deems they deserve a hands up and second chances when they fall on hard times.

When people get older than 30, there is little media attention or genral concern from what I have experienced.
Middle Aged and older people are considered lost causes if they can"t deal with their life problems and left on their own,
The older you get, the less people care if you are alive at all.

I"m curious, is there a tiping point, a sort of age limit where suicide just becomes part of a statistic for society instead of a tragedy that people take notice and care about?

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Now that you mention it...I actually never heard of a suicide case in the media where the person was older than 30 something.
Our society seems really obsessed with youth in general.
Whenever something happens to a young person it's "omg" and for an (older) adult it's just "meh".

L

lonerclown666

Mage
Dec 1, 2020
i believe other people except your fathers dont care if you die or not dont matter the age

MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
I remember hearing a phrase, "men are arms, women are vaginas". If a guy isn't supporting a family and/successful business then he can keel over already, and if a woman's hit menopause and can't have any more children then she can follow him. I guess the ages that's supposed to happen varies on the culture, but maybe late 20's-30 for guys, and 40/50's for women?

I've noticed why people supposedly care also changes depending on age. Young people are considered stupid for 'wasting' their potential whereas older people tend to be considered stupid for not reaching it yet when they ctb. Plus older people tend to have more people dependent on them and so people tend to think about what they left behind rather than the person themselves more.

Gaybonez

Gaybonez

vegan jesus
Nov 30, 2020
It seem to me, suicide is only considered a tragedy when young people are concerned.
Society generally deems they deserve a hands up and second chances when they fall on hard times.

When people get older than 30, there is little media attention or genral concern from what I have experienced.
Middle Aged and older people are considered lost causes if they can"t deal with their life problems and left on their own,

I"m curious, is there a tiping point, a sort of age limit where suicide just becomes part of a statistic for society instead of a tragedy that people take notice and care about?
I mean older people have less value assigned to them, but it really depends for any age or person.

Gromit-CTB

Gromit-CTB

time for ctb
Nov 14, 2020
The media are only interested in showing the under 30s as it sells stories unless you are famous. I'm 48 and would be lucky to make the local rag paper.

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
One person believed pension age, think about all the money the government will save.

G

Girliwanttokillmysel

Jan 10, 2021

Well uhh they stopped caring when I was 13, my friends family ect , I'v been feeling like shit since 13yo, no one noticed, I have panic attacks from crying everynight and I'm tired of living yk? No one noticed haha

FarAcrossTheWater

FarAcrossTheWater

Experienced
Sep 4, 2020
The older you are the more you are seen as having lived life. Older people are seen as broken goods. Younger people are seen as malleable with their entire lives ahead of them. There's no magic number but I would bet it also depends how good looking, financially compensated, or high up the rat race you are.

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
So at 61 yers old, I seem to be viewed as "disposable " and "useless". Ageism is alive and well in the western world.

Reactions: booray