N

nothingchanges

Student
Sep 11, 2020
will my student loan debt go to my parents or family? or hospital fees if i get taken there? it would be so disgusting for people to torment you like that even in death.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game
B

Bensharp

Mar 18, 2021
No your student loan dies with you. Most loans dies with you. Unless you have some asset then the creditors might be able to make a claim against your estate. Should you have an asset you are advised to set up a trust which the creditors can't touch.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game and nolongerhuman
B

booray

Can’t do this anymore
Jan 28, 2021
Don't forget the cost of cremation/burial.

U

usernameforhere

Student
Nov 15, 2020
If they didn't co-sign they don't owe it.

J

justagirl

Mar 14, 2021
will my student loan debt go to my parents or family? or hospital fees if i get taken there? it would be so disgusting for people to torment you like that even in death.
In the US, federal student loans disappear when you die. my understanding, however, is that my credit card / other debt would be passed on to my family (before I was married, my mother; now that I'm married, my spouse). This may vary by state/organization that you owe money to as well. Not entirely sure.

B

Bensharp

Mar 18, 2021
In the US, federal student loans disappear when you die. my understanding, however, is that my credit card / other debt would be passed on to my family (before I was married, my mother; now that I'm married, my spouse). This may vary by state/organization that you owe money to as well.
Google your position or better still contact your financial adviser, they are usually free at most banks, your credit card and other debt dies with you. Nobody is liable for an adult action unless they cosign the debt but if you have an estate which means your assets, you set up a trust before you die and those you owe money too can't touch it. But if you are feeling like a good citizen you can let them make a claim against your asset. Some people if they are sure they want to cbt rack up credit card debt and other loans after paying for their burial. I will advise against this on the off-chance you have an asset or you survive your cbt you might be in a worse state than you are.
So in summary your family are liable not any of your loans, credit card or other debt or liabilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernameforhere