How much did school and its demands contribute to your suicidality?

• Not at all (I am introverted)

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Somewhat (I am introverted)

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Quite a bit (I am introverted)

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • A lot (I am introverted)

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • Not at all (I am extroverted)

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Somewhat (I am extroverted)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Quite a bit (I am extroverted)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A lot (I am extroverted)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • It was the first trigger of my suicidal ideation

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • It was not the first trigger of my suicidal ideation

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
At times i felt like school was kinda like the faster the better without paying much attention on psychological health. Till today, introverts are forced to learn/work in an environment made for extroverts. I believe the harsh approach on learning (kinda like the earlier the better or no pain no gain) fuel suicidal tendencies among young people. Maybe I'm wrong but for myself, school caused my first depressive episodes. I am very interested in how it has been for you guys, feel free to take part at the poll:)

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, Circles, UglyDuck666 and 11 others
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
The accommodations that schools and universities offer disabled people is a joke. They pretend to care about students then sit idly by wheb students suffer, as if you can't conform to the system, then you are basically worthless.

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, Circles, violetsaturn and 10 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
School isn't the only cause of my problems, but it's one big contributing factor. Social isolation, inferiority, and lack of connections with others was exacerbated by the environments of the schools I went to. The problems were intertwined with other things, like social class, and my parents, which made things worse. I would say the demands of school in terms of work/succeeding never really got to me until late in high school and then in college, though math started being a struggle in middle school, and things like "presentations" were hell due to my social anxiety.

The way schools work in a lot of places really aren't conducive to learning, and cause a lot unnecessary stress and anxiety in young people. There definitely needs to be a change and more flexibility, but I think that likely won't happen, because most schools aren't concerned with actually teaching people, they want to create a worker drone who follows orders and doesn't question society.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, Circles, UglyDuck666 and 5 others
lobster salad

lobster salad

overcooked :(
Aug 27, 2020
Well it is one of the main reasons why I'm ready to get on the bus. School has thought me that I'm a lazy idiot, I have a f grade for everything because I didn't study. I tried changing and working but it didn't work out. I think life is just not for me, there's nowhere and nothing I can do in it that I will enjoy. Also I was constantly avoided in school and the odd one out. I had no lasting friends;-;

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, Circles, UglyDuck666 and 5 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I hate school, and when I was taking animation as a major it did almost drive me to suicide at one point because I realized I was doomed to suck at the one thing I actually wanted to do. I ended up taking a couple years off and eventually coming back as a business major. Most of the time I'm satisfied with it because it's all bs that I don't have to try very hard for but I know fully well I can't handle any actual responsible work even though I'm about to graduate. I've coasted through entirely by BS'ing.

I think having to any type of work in general brings forth my suicidal ideation when I feel like I can't do it...

• Hugs
Reactions: UglyDuck666, _Minsk, demuic and 2 others
Ardesevent

Ardesevent

It’s the end of the line, cowboy
Feb 2, 2020
I'm glad that all my classes are online now just so I don't have to go to college, even if they're ripping me off. The stress of having to stay up all night to work and having to listen to the professor remind you that your future depends on this one essay due in two days is just too much to deal with on a daily basis. That's not even talking about how many people are there.

Reactions: UglyDuck666, _Minsk, death137 and 1 other person
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
I got bullied in school, so I'm pretty sure it contributed to my suicidality... I'm happy that I don't go to school anymore. Actually I'm not able to go to school or work because of my anxiety :(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Peace_of_mind, UglyDuck666 and 6 others
A

andy69

Experienced
May 23, 2019
It's not school that causes me to be suicidal. It's the issue that my schooling doesn't amount to anything for me. Colleges no longer prepare people for employment. They teach a bunch a crazy ideologies. The people who are doing the teaching have no idea what goes on in the world especially in the humanities and social sciences.

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, UglyDuck666, _Minsk and 6 others
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
It was the first trigger, puberty and school is when it all started going down hill, self harm, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, endless crying, insomnia... I'm introverted and being forced to meet so many people on a daily basis is life draining, it sucked up all of the life from me and now I'm just an apathetic empty shell that wants to kill itself. I fucking hate school, not in an angsty teen way but for real, school has damaged me. All the bullying and racisms, it ruined me. I wish I was home schooled so I didn't have to deal with all this bulls hit. It's disgusting

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, violetsaturn, UglyDuck666 and 4 others
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
School didn't caused me to be suicidal but it became a very depressing thing after I became suicidal. That is why I quit university many times in an embarrassing ways.

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, Weeping Garbage Can, violetsaturn and 5 others
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
School was terrible for me but real life is worse as an introvert personally

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: UglyDuck666, _Minsk and sadworld
Dead beat dad

Dead beat dad

Enlightened
Mar 5, 2019
For me starting school was a big turning point in my happiness.
While at the time I wouldn't have possessed the faculties to understand CTB, I have no doubt it was a significant contributory factor to the way I feel and the depression that has beset most of my life.
School done right can be a magical and inspiring experience, for me it was the opposite, and has paved the way for all of life's subsequent disappointments and miseries.
DBD

• Hugs
Reactions: violetsaturn, UglyDuck666, _Minsk and 2 others
Serenity

Serenity

Another Broken Spirit.
Feb 8, 2020
Elementary school was the catalyst for my depression and anxiety, unfortunately. Was rejected and ostracized by teachers and peers a lot, I had a hard time fitting in and making friends. I'm sure I would have become mentally ill regardless though, so not sure if I should completely blame school for my problems..I guess my brain chemistry is just screwed.

• Hugs
Reactions: UglyDuck666, _Minsk, Dead beat dad and 2 others
MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
Suprisingly i didnt have a problem with the school system directly, it actually felt like a break from my situation at home. It only got bad when i got bullied. They dont really care unless you got seriously hurt or die.

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, UglyDuck666 and _Minsk
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I thought school was pretty bad, and then I became an adult and lived a dozen years and realized it's much worse.

Reactions: UglyDuck666, _Minsk, Gnip and 3 others
Wraith

Wraith

Lost in The Void
Nov 4, 2020
On top of having Dyscalculia, thus making mathematics-based schoolwork a real pain, my friends betrayed my trust and spread rumors about me. I've had difficulty trusting anyone ever since.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: auniqueusername669, UglyDuck666, _Minsk and 2 others
Deleted member 13412

Deleted member 13412

Dec 27, 2019
i hate school.. i ve always been bullied for my appearence they used to call me monster and i would turn my head and they d say 'u turn ur head whenever we call u monster HAHAHA bc thts wht u are'.. i dont wanna be a monster anymore i dont wanna be anything i hate myself sm ):

• Hugs
Reactions: auniqueusername669, Weeping Garbage Can, demuic and 1 other person
UglyDuck666

UglyDuck666

Nov 14, 2020
i hate school.. i ve always been bullied for my appearence they used to call me monster and i would turn my head and they d say 'u turn ur head whenever we call u monster HAHAHA bc thts wht u are'.. i dont wanna be a monster anymore i dont wanna be anything i hate myself sm ):
You're not a monster. Those little bastards- They are. Beasts, whos listen only the lower instincs and can destroy somones life, because of their cruel nature.

I hate school, but back those days- Class and teachers was not my only problem. The worst thing about this shit was fact: I just wanted to have some place to escape and... Another kick from reality

• Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk, auniqueusername669, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I am past pre- and post-university and have worked for some 20 odd years after I graduated from college/university.

I actually enjoyed school (at the university level). It engaged my mind and kept my view outwards instead of inwards (a good thing for me as I was badly abused at home). It kept me from dwelling on the abusive situation at home, so it was an escape for me. So I do not think it contributed much to my wanting to end things.

I did have some terrible professors, and that was definitely stressful, but nothing like what I had gone through at home.

Alla that being said, I suspect times may be different now - with the soaring cost of a 2nd education and the work loads required, it may be very different than it was when I was in college/university.

Reactions: _Minsk
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
i always hated having to go to school and sit through class. i couldn't pay attention for shit and hated waking up early. it was a pain in the ass but i never wanted to kill myself over it.

• Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk, auniqueusername669 and violetsaturn
violetsaturn

violetsaturn

Oct 28, 2020
School wasn't necessarily my "trigger" for mental illness but it definitely made things so much worse. In 7th grade I finally understood how fucked up my family was and it hit me like a truck. It had been going on for years before that, but you tend to block out things as a kid or you just weren't old enough to fully comprehend something that happened. But once 7th grade came around I finally put the pieces together.
I stopped participating in school (I didn't do homework or study) and my math grade dropped. My other classes didn't require any studying or effort but math has always been like a foreign language to me. Still is today, in college.
As I sunk deeper into my depression my grades continued to sink as well. So no, school is not where my depression started, but I lost what little effort I had left in me once I hit freshman year. Once you hit rock bottom and lose any ability to care about ANYTHING, adding school into the mix is like kicking a dead horse.
I feel the weight of my missing assignments and low grades like they're an elephant on my chest, but at the same time I just can't bring myself to do anything about it.

• Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk, auniqueusername669, UglyDuck666 and 1 other person
Nicebuddimtim

Nicebuddimtim

Ghost
Jun 28, 2020
I messed up school because of feeling suicidal but nobody helped they just gave me in trouble I had few friends and it just Mildred who I am today and I can count my friends on one hand.

Reactions: _Minsk