G

ghulam_e_khuda

Nov 24, 2020
I committed a really stupid crime, and I have lost everything in life because of it. However, the people who were affected by the crime have not formally filed charges against me yet.

I used to use imageboard websites, such as 4chan. People on such websites tend to be somewhat morally bankrupt, and I got desensitised to all the vulgarity on those websites after using them for so many years.

I was in a WhatsApp group with two female classmates with whom I was working on a college project. I posted a screenshot from the WhatsApp group on an imageboard and made a sexual joke about something one of the women had said. I forgot to scratch out the names of those women from the screenshot, so you can imagine what happened next. The imageboard people searched their names and found their social media, and then proceeded to send them rape threats and harass them in different ways.

I really did not mean to cause any harm to those women. It's just a stupid mistake that escalated into a disaster. For some reason those two women have not pressed legal charges yet, probably out of the consideration that I have autism spectrum disorder. But regardless, I have lost everything I could lose in life. I have brought tremendous dishonour to my family, and I don't think I can ever recover from this episode.

I tried reading about the laws in my country, and I figured that what I did could get me a maximum sentence of two years in prison. However I spoke to some people online and asked for their opinion, and they said I should be in prison for at least ten years. What do you think?

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: LigottiFan19, Xiaomi and sadworld
X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
Let this be a lesson to everybody. Also, have you tried speaking to a lawyer?

Reactions: Dizzylady80, Soul and Sensei
P

Pravesh

Student
Oct 19, 2020
relax, i dont think its as bad as youre making it out to be. You made a mistake learn from it and dont do it again. Apologize profusely to those women .

Reactions: Brink, stygal, Life_and_Death and 3 others
Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
It's truly unfortunate, but I doubt anything will come out of it.

One thing you shouldn't do for any reason is to ask the trolls online to stop, this will just feed them. They'll get bored after a few hours probably.

Also how are they gonna know it was you who posted the pics? 4chan is an anonimous board

Reactions: Gnip, Sensei and Skathon
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
The imageboard people searched their names and found their social media, and then proceeded to send them rape threats and harass them in different ways.

What did you think would happen besides perpetrate more violence against women? Let's hope they don't become suicidal because of this or worse.

But regardless, I have lost everything I could lose in life. I have brought tremendous dishonour to my family, and I don't think I can ever recover from this episode.

Do you suppose these women's lives will recover from *your* actions? I wonder what if the honour of their families have been tarnished? They have to live with this for the rest of their lives like you do.

I tried reading about the laws in my country, and I figured that what I did could get me a maximum sentence of two years in prison. However I spoke to some people online and asked for their opinion, and they said I should be in prison for at least ten years. What do you think?

You can't even know the total consequences of how your wrong-doings are going to affect these women in the future.

What do *you* think you deserve?

I dare you to answer.

Reactions: Dizzylady80, Soul, Ghost2211 and 2 others
G

ghulam_e_khuda

Nov 24, 2020
What did you think would happen besides perpetrate more violence against women? Let's hope they don't become suicidal because of this or worse.

Do you suppose these women's lives will recover from *your* actions? I wonder what if the honour of their families have been tarnished? They have to live with this for the rest of their lives like you do.

You can't even know the total consequences of how your wrong-doings are going to affect these women in the future.

What do *you* think you deserve?

I dare you to answer.
From what I understand about the situation is that those people stopped harassing those women after the first two days. However, now that you ask what I think I deserve, I guess because we live in a society in which the comfort and safety of women is put on the highest pedestal possible, I'd say I deserve life imprisonment. But I'm going to kill myself before I get imprisoned anyway.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brink and marcusuk63
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
From what I understand about the situation is that those people stopped harassing those women after the first two days. However, now that you ask what I think I deserve, I guess because we live in a society in which the comfort and safety of women is put on the highest pedestal possible, I'd say I deserve life imprisonment. But I'm going to kill myself before I get imprisoned anyway.

Imagine "consequences" being a thing.

Forgive yourself and hope they forgive you.

Reactions: Dizzylady80
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
It doesn't sound jail-worthy to me. All you did was copy something they said online and made a joke about it? A sincere apology and decent regret should suffice.

Reactions: Brink and Skathon
G

ghulam_e_khuda

Nov 24, 2020
What did you post specifically?
nudes?
One of those girls said "This assignment is a pain in the ass." So I wrote in broken English in reference to a one of the "bobs and vegana" memes, "Should I put massage to your ass?" and asked in the post if that would be a suitable reply. The names of the girls were visible in the screenshot, which led to the imageboard people googling their names and discovering their social media.

G

ghulam_e_khuda

Nov 24, 2020
I don't see the crime in that
In my country (India) what I did is punishable by two years of jail time. But most of the women whose opinion I have asked said I deserve at least ten years. You don't think I should be in jail probably because you're male. But women's sentiments should be given utmost priority, and if a woman says I deserve the death sentence, that's what I'll accept.
Imagine "consequences" being a thing.

Forgive yourself and hope they forgive you.
I'm not looking for forgiveness from those women. I just wanted my life back, but since that's not possible, I'll just end it soon. I have felt sorry enough and wasted way too much energy in trying to fix the situation.

Last edited:
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
I was in a WhatsApp group with two female classmates with whom I was working on a college project. I posted a screenshot from the WhatsApp group on an imageboard and made a sexual joke about something one of the women had said.

It doesn't sound jail-worthy to me. All you did was copy something they said online and made a joke about it? A sincere apology and decent regret should suffice.

Did I mis-read the OP or is this a case of reading comprehension?
Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Dizzylady80 and TooConscious
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Looks like the women in question are on a reverse witch hunt for you on purpose, but what you did was accidental because you forgot to cross the names out. India has one of the highest cases of rape in the world and that women are mostly a target, it's no wonder that their livelihoods are threatened now and in the future if someone were to come across the images again. Do you have a pending trial with the magistrate?

Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
In my country (India) what I did is punishable by two years of jail time. But most of the women whose opinion I have asked said I deserve at least ten years. You don't think I should be in jail probably because you're male. But women's sentiments should be given utmost priority, and if a woman says I deserve the death sentence, that's what I'll accept.
On what basis do women opinions matter more? The law should be equal for everyone and decided by who is in charge, not by some random vigilantes.

Accept only what the state tells you, but again that will probably be nothing as I've already said. I would just be silent about it and hopefully it will pass away

Reactions: Skathon and TooConscious
Weather

Weather

Student
Oct 18, 2020
As a legally educated woman (in the U.S., not in India), I don't think you would face much by way of legal consequences here -- of course, men generally face little legal consequence for harassing women in the U.S. (despite what some whiners want folks to believe). While what you did is really lousy, you were not the one making threats nor, as far as what you've said, did you encourage anyone to look into these women's personal information. Because of the extreme prevalence of violence against women in India, I don't know if that means that they treat these kinds of actions even more lightly or if they take them more seriously. If you are contrite, I would image you could plea it down to no time anyway. But again, I don't know about the Indian legal system.

That said, don't make jokes at others' expense or use their images without consent (with or without names). Particularly women to a group who is known for harassing and threatening women. Learn from this experience rather than throwing your hands up in the air and saying you deserve life in prison. That's ridiculous. Just do better.

Reactions: Dizzylady80, Brink, TooConscious and 3 others
LigottiFan19

LigottiFan19

Nov 21, 2020
What you did is extraordinarily dumb, and extraordinarily human.

You can apologize to the girls. You can take responsibility. You can learn from this and be more careful with other people's identities.

That's really it. I understand feeling mortified and humiliated, but the way out is through - own it, apologise, move forward.

Reactions: Brink, TooConscious, Apathy79 and 4 others
G

ghulam_e_khuda

Nov 24, 2020
Looks like the women in question are on a reverse witch hunt for you on purpose, but what you did was accidental because you forgot to cross the names out. India has one of the highest cases of rape in the world and that women are mostly a target, it's no wonder that their livelihoods are threatened now and in the future if someone were to come across the images again. Do you have a pending trial with the magistrate?
>India has one of the highest cases of rape in the world

As a legally educated woman (in the U.S., not in India), I don't think you would face much by way of legal consequences here -- of course, men generally face little legal consequence for harassing women in the U.S. (despite what some whiners want folks to believe). While what you did is really lousy, you were not the one making threats nor, as far as what you've said, did you encourage anyone to look into these women's personal information. Because of the extreme prevalence of violence against women in India, I don't know if that means that they treat these kinds of actions even more lightly or if they take them more seriously. If you are contrite, I would image you could plea it down to no time anyway. But again, I don't know about the Indian legal system.

That said, don't make jokes at others' expense or use their images without consent (with or without names). Particularly women to a group who is known for harassing and threatening women. Learn from this experience rather than throwing your hands up in the air and saying you deserve life in prison. That's ridiculous. Just do better.
>Because of the extreme prevalence of violence against women in India

I was just waiting for someone to judge me for being Indian. Have either of you ever actually researched about the statistics of global prevalence of rape per capita? Don't talk about things you don't understand.

• Wow
Reactions: Weather
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
LOL, you want our help or not? I guess not, you're on your own buddy.

Reactions: Dizzylady80, TooConscious, Ghost2211 and 1 other person
Weather

Weather

Student
Oct 18, 2020

I was just waiting for someone to judge me for being Indian. Have either of you ever actually researched about the statistics of global prevalence of rape per capita? Don't talk about things you don't understand.

Really? So, a woman weighs in -- which you claimed to want/value -- and you attack? Perhaps you aren't as innocent as you want us to believe.

Regardless, I'm not judging you for being Indian -- I was saying that perhaps courts treat it differently there because of the prevalence (either seeing it as less serious because there was no violence, or more serious because they want to combat the root of the problem more harshly). I know a number of women from India and they are the ones who alerted me to the issues of sexual violence there. The fact other countries also have this problem doesn't mean it's not a problem there too.

Reactions: Dizzylady80, Skathon, Ghost2211 and 1 other person
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020

I had some degree of sympathy till this. You put their lives and safety at risk. It doesn't matter where you're from. You posted their info to one of the worst place to post it. This isn't about autism. I know a lot of autistic people, and am very involved in the autistic world, and none of them would do something that inappropriate. That's just your personality. That said, no I don't think you deserve to go to jail since things died down and no serious harm came to them. If anything had happened to them you would deserve to burn for unleashing the dogs on the.

Reactions: Dizzylady80, Symbiote and sadworld
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Reactions: TooConscious
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I really did not mean to cause any harm to those women. It's just a stupid mistake that escalated into a disaster. For some reason those two women have not pressed legal charges yet, probably out of the consideration that I have autism spectrum disorder. But regardless, I have lost everything I could lose in life. I have brought tremendous dishonour to my family, and I don't think I can ever recover from this episode.

However, now that you ask what I think I deserve, I guess because we live in a society in which the comfort and safety of women is put on the highest pedestal possible, I'd say I deserve life imprisonment.

One of those girls said "This assignment is a pain in the ass." So I wrote in broken English in reference to a one of the "bobs and vegana" memes, "Should I put massage to your ass?" and asked in the post if that would be a suitable reply. The names of the girls were visible in the screenshot, which led to the imageboard people googling their names and discovering their social media.

But most of the women whose opinion I have asked said I deserve at least ten years. You don't think I should be in jail probably because you're male. But women's sentiments should be given utmost priority, and if a woman says I deserve the death sentence, that's what I'll accept.

I was just waiting for someone to judge me for being Indian.

Ow. My brain. Ow.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dizzylady80, TooConscious, Soul and 4 others
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
It depends if you are genuinely ashamed and sorry or just sorry that you got caught. And aren't just writing here to show your lawyer hoping it will help in court.

I had some degree of sympathy till this. You put their lives and safety at risk. It doesn't matter where you're from. You posted their info to one of the worst place to post it. This isn't about autism. I know a lot of autistic people, and am very involved in the autistic world, and none of them would do something that inappropriate. That's just your personality. That said, no I don't think you deserve to go to jail since things died down and no serious harm came to them. If anything had happened to them you would deserve to burn for unleashing the dogs on the.
Doesn't really make sense to me so because by chance nothing happened (they all got lucky) this means he now doesn't deserve punishment because of luck?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzylady80
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Over9000 years

Reactions: TooConscious
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Doesn't really make sense to me so because by chance nothing happened (they all got lucky) this means he now doesn't deserve punishment because of luck?
For anything to come of it The women would have to push the issue, and they chose not to. If they don't feel that it's worth legally pursuing that's the end of that issue. Personally I'm not a big fan of walking into a police station and being like hey I did crimes punish me.

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
For anything to come of it The women would have to push the issue, and they chose not to.

Consider the reasons they may not do so.
They live in India.
The shame is real and lasting.
I was in a WhatsApp group with two female classmates with whom I was working on a college project. I posted a screenshot from the WhatsApp group on an imageboard and made a sexual joke about something one of the women had said. I forgot to scratch out the names of those women from the screenshot, so you can imagine what happened next. The imageboard people searched their names and found their social media, and then proceeded to send them rape threats and harass them in different ways.

Imagine having the misfortune of having to work with a classmate who will betray you to the point of rape threats and harassment from strangers for who knows how long...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzylady80 and GoodPersonEffed
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Consider the reasons they may not do so.
They live in India.
The shame is real and lasting.
I get that and I agree but unfortunately that is the way the legal system works. There's been plenty of things that of happened to me that I haven't reported for similar reasons. Yay life.

• Hugs
Reactions: Gnip
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
I got desensitised to all the vulgarity on those websites after using them for so many years.
No you did not as you actually care about causing harm.
some people online and asked for their opinion, and they said I should be in prison for at least ten years.
Why would you trust people on the internet?
Op you will be fine and should not worry about anything.
It is cute you are taking this sooo serious!
What did you even do wrong?

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
I get that and I agree but unfortunately that is the way the legal system works. There's been plenty of things that of happened to me that I haven't reported for similar reasons. Yay life.

It's the public shaming, threats of rape and violence from complete strangers completely unwarranted that is the issue. These women will be punished in India indefinitely because of this guy's stupidity and lack of empathy.
No you did not as you actually care about causing harm.

Yeah, post hoc.
When he got caught he started to care. After his life was affected he started to care.
Watch the irony levels.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
It's the public shaming, threats of rape and violence from complete strangers completely unwarranted that is the issue. These women will be punished in India indefinitely because of this guy's stupidity and lack of empathy.
I am not defending this guy, so there's that. What exactly do you want to happen in the situation? If the women don't go forward then the legal system will not take action. If you want someone that did a crime to walk in and turn themselves in I really don't know anyone that would do that.