P

painofzed

Student
Dec 15, 2021
So when I think about what is bad in my life, the things that really impact me, having to get up and go to work every day, having a decent paying job but still unable to pay the bills. I feel like all of these are systemic issues that are the end result of a handful of very wealthy and powerful people messing things up for everyone else. We'd all be in the streets protesting if we weren't too depressed to live.

• Love
Reactions: Elmer, LeBroom, Green_leaf and 8 others
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
So when I think about what is bad in my life, the things that really impact me, having to get up and go to work every day, having a decent paying job but still unable to pay the bills. I feel like all of these are systemic issues that are the end result of a handful of very wealthy and powerful people messing things up for everyone else. We'd all be in the streets protesting if we weren't too depressed to live.
Definitely. Late stage capitalism is so depressing, life under it isn't even a way to live

Reactions: drennedrat and Melly
fxndi

fxndi

May 15, 2023
the wealthy gets wealthier while the poor gets more poor...

Reactions: drennedrat, Melly and sserafim
K

k1w1

Experienced
Feb 16, 2022
This epoch has a role in my decision, I am at the tail end of a working life and have seen the economic system's impact on living conditions fluctuate between better and worse several times . I think baby boomers (those who started families in the 50- 60's) had it best; Gen-X were fuel for the machine but we had enormous social mobility. These days I'm certain someone is taking the piss....look at the last PM of the UK & the previous and present POTUS. These men are clowns. I live very economically but like in many Western countries, good luck affording getting old. I'm pissed off & would there be a revolution, I'd be standing at the barricades helping run the place like a Paris Commune.

Reactions: Captive_Mind515
piger

piger

Every waking moment I spiral further into insanity
Dec 11, 2021
In a way, the culture that has sprouted from decades of consumerism, mass media, and technological advancement with horrors of a grimmer future coming about each day brought me here. I hate how it's ruined myself, the people around me and everyone else. It's all an effort for one day everyone to just be complicit and controlled under happy pills and living with the bare minimum and no real self-worth.

Reactions: k1w1 and carac
G

Green_leaf

Nov 5, 2022
Actually suicide could be seen as the latest stage of capitalism.

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I'm not a capitalist but I would like to ask what makes you think that you wouldn't have to work under any other political system?

Personally I see it more as a societal or cultural problem, capitalism has destroyed communities and made us all isolated, lonely and anxious.

Reactions: k1w1
P

painofzed

Student
Dec 15, 2021
I'm not a capitalist but I would like to ask what makes you think that you wouldn't have to work under any other political system?

Personally I see it more as a societal or cultural problem, capitalism has destroyed communities and made us all isolated, lonely and anxious.
Work is not the problem, working more than full time and still being unable to keep up with the bills is.

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Work is not the problem, working more than full time and still being unable to keep up with the bills is.
The only reason I ask is because I think it is possible to opt out of capitalism it just takes a lot of work and determinism. I've seen programs about people who have given up the rat race and become self sufficent but it's damn hard work, you are constantly building and gardening and working but it can be a rewarding life for some. I find the idea quite attractive myself but I think i would struggle to give up all my modern day comforts that I would have to leave behind and I'm not sure I could manage all the labour.

Last edited:
ClownCringe

ClownCringe

Know thy self
Jan 18, 2020
I think it's more that there's a massive divide between how we evolved to live vs our current very unnatural civilisation. Like we've broken the natural mold that shapes healthy humans.

Of course not saying return to living in caves, but there's a balance to be found and this ain't it.

Last edited:
Reactions: k1w1
P

painofzed

Student
Dec 15, 2021
The only reason I ask is because I think it is possible to opt out of capitalism it just takes a lot of work and determinism. I've seen programs about people who have given up the rat race and become self sufficent but it's damn hard work, you are constantly building and gardening and working but it can be a rewarding life for some. I find the idea quite attractive myself but I think i would struggle to give up all my modern day comforts that I would have to leave behind and I'm not sure I could manage all the labou
The only reason I ask is because I think it is possible to opt out of capitalism it just takes a lot of work and determinism. I've seen programs about people who have given up the rat race and become self sufficent but it's damn hard work, you are constantly building and gardening and working but it can be a rewarding life for some. I find the idea quite attractive myself but I think i would struggle to give up all my modern day comforts that I would have to leave behind and I'm not sure I could manage all the labour.
The problem I have with that I guess is the only options aren't capitalism or being 100% self sufficient.