How many of you avoid CTB methodology discussion threads entirely?

• I Provide as much advice as it possibly can on the method

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I only reply To tell them their plan is bad or talk them out of it

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I will view the thread but I will never reply

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • I never click on these discussions. They are distressing

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023
I noticed some threads concerning methodology people will seem to avoid while others will cause people to respond quite a bit. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what causes you to respond to some of these threads?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Hounestly, I have had a pretty hard time respond to these threads. But its not about not wanting to help. But I'm struggling with conflicting thought about it. One part of me wants to help as much as possible, but the other part of me is screaming: this is wrong and eats me alive! Please don't get me wrong ♥️, I love this place and wouldn't know what I would do without it. And this is a big struggel, because when the time comes it's very helpful to get the advice needed. ♥️ lots of love.

Reactions: Raindancer, betternever2havbeen, Kit1 and 2 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I give as much advice as I possibly can to be helpful but I be careful not to engage in any conversations with the recipients of my advice in pursuit of offering advice, giving them sources of specific things they need, etc. Last time I did this I became a little too close to someone and their ctb was nearly devastating for me. I won't make that same mistake again.

I also don't like giving advice or sources of specific things to friends. I have also made the mistake of doing that and when it is their times to leave I will feel like shit and I'll go crazy. The stress of losing someone is so overwhelming for me, I have lost everyone in my life and I don't think I'll be able to handle another loss.

Also since there are some problems with sources' availability I now refuse to give them out. Just in case.

Reactions: Kit1, Aim and Praestat_Mori
jinx <3

jinx <3

💮she/her🏳️‍⚧️
Apr 12, 2023
I tend to only click on method threads when I myself am looking for them, which only happens when my anxiety gets really bad and I feel like I need an exit strategy. Otherwise I won't go into any of them, and I never reply or give any insight regardless. Not necessarily for moral reasons or because it distresses me, I just don't feel like saying anything to people in that headspace usually (and because I don't have much knowledge on stuff, hence me looking for it on here in the first place).

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
absolutelyyou

absolutelyyou

peaceful
Jul 26, 2023
I typically only respond when I see posts that seems very impulsive *and* very likely to fail/cause long term harm that would make an unbearable life even worse. I don't want people who want to ctb to be trapped here but I especially don't want that trapped here in more pain they would have been had they not made a particular attempt if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kit1, Aim and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Some people may have conflicts, others may not have enough knowledge about certain methods. I give advice and information according to my best knowledge whenever it's possible as well as links to resources for further information.

Information is what prevents people from failing.

Reactions: Kit1 and Aim
Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023
I give as much advice as I possibly can to be helpful but I be careful not to engage in any conversations with the recipients of my advice in pursuit of offering advice, giving them sources of specific things they need, etc. Last time I did this I became a little too close to someone and their ctb was nearly devastating for me. I won't make that same mistake again.

I also don't like giving advice or sources of specific things to friends. I have also made the mistake of doing that and when it is their times to leave I will feel like shit and I'll go crazy. The stress of losing someone is so overwhelming for me, I have lost everyone in my life and I don't think I'll be able to handle another loss.

Also since there are some problems with sources' availability I now refuse to give them out. Just in case.

Yeah I Think it's one thing to have a philosophical stance That people have a right to catch the bus And it's an entirely other thing to actually carry it out. I think it's pretty telling that even the people in this community who are the most open to it still struggle with it. I don't fault them for that it's a really difficult thing Giving someone the tools that they need to catch the bus.

Even some other people that I've only casually interacted with in the short Half month that I've been around on this website Has affected me when they've departed. I didn't realize how much of a transitionary space this was and I just looked at people being regulars and justice sort of took it for granted that they would be around for a while at least for a few weeks or a month but nothing can be taken for granted.

Either way I respect your decision to not help people with sources or give advice to your friends And I struggle with all the same stuff that you're describing. I do feel a little bit conflicted though Because the same thing that we are struggling with is the same thing that society and prolifers Struggle With in their effort to make sure that suicidal people have no viable options to end their existence. They are always passing the buck on to someone else And having another organization deal with the problems.

I'm sorry I know this is like a really touchy subject and I really hope I'm not offending you with anything that I've said I really don't mean to i'm just giving my honest conflicted thoughts on this topic. I think people have a fundamental human right to catch the bus but I think I don't have the heart to directly help them with it. All I can do is respect their decision And appreciate the time that they spend with us For however long that is.

Reactions: Kit1 and Praestat_Mori
Aim

Aim

🤍
Sep 12, 2023
Some people may have conflicts, others may not have enough knowledge about certain methods. I give advice and information according to my best knowledge whenever it's possible as well as links to resources for further information.

This is very true! ♥️

アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
Yeah I Think it's one thing to have a philosophical stance That people have a right to catch the bus And it's an entirely other thing to actually carry it out. I think it's pretty telling that even the people in this community who are the most open to it still struggle with it. I don't fault them for that it's a really difficult thing Giving someone the tools that they need to catch the bus.

Even some other people that I've only casually interacted with in the short Half month that I've been around on this website Has affected me when they've departed. I didn't realize how much of a transitionary space this was and I just looked at people being regulars and justice sort of took it for granted that they would be around for a while at least for a few weeks or a month but nothing can be taken for granted.

Either way I respect your decision to not help people with sources or give advice to your friends And I struggle with all the same stuff that you're describing. I do feel a little bit conflicted though Because the same thing that we are struggling with is the same thing that society and prolifers Struggle With in their effort to make sure that suicidal people have no viable options to end their existence. They are always passing the buck on to someone else And having another organization deal with the problems.

I'm sorry I know this is like a really touchy subject and I really hope I'm not offending you with anything that I've said I really don't mean to i'm just giving my honest conflicted thoughts on this topic. I think people have a fundamental human right to catch the bus but I think I don't have the heart to directly help them with it. All I can do is respect their decision And appreciate the time that they spend with us For however long that is.
You haven't offended me. I understand this is a touchy subject and I understand why you have conflicted thoughts concerning this topic. I can also share my thoughts about this.

In regards to what you said about pro-lifers, they do indeed do the same as we do, refuse to give sources of things preventing people from being able to ctb and I don't think there's any way to justify why they do it other than pure selfishness but if you think about it, us not giving out sources could also be labeled as selfish actions since we're thinking about ourselves over others.

And about the fundamental human right, I totally agree with that. Everyone should be provided the right to die a dignified death and I'm sure everyone has the heart to do such a thing to themselves; end their lives; but of course we don't have the heart to help anyone else with doing so. It is human behavior and I guess because of this, selfishness is a built in thing that we have and we have acquired the ability to be selfish through millennia of evolution.

But the difference between us and pro-lifers is that we understand people's situations and we don't necessarily prevent them from both obtaining the means of ending their suffering and we don't prevent them from carrying out their deliverance, although I know for a fact if you have formed a strong bond with someone you'd definitely want to prevent them from ctb. It's human BUT we aren't as cruel as pro-lifers so there is a difference, if you understand what I mean.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
Whether I respond depends on what the method is, how bad it is, what others have said, etc. I hate being a discouraging negative nelly but I don't want anyone to go through something that's only going to put them in pain.

Edit: OH reading the comments I see we're talking about the not crazy methods here too LOL. I'll leave some things sometimes, but usually nothing that isn't already easily findable, and I try to keep it vague. I definitely have a lot of fear about being accused of assisting with suicide, but it doesn't seem like the cops care much.

• Hugs
Reactions: Aim and Praestat_Mori
D

Deleted member 65988

I've been involved a quite a few discussions around methods but I've since decided not to anymore after a few times of users messaging me for help with their sn regimen. I DO NOT take any pride in helping users adjust their regimens to ctb because it's ultimately very sad that they have to see things out that way but I tried to be as transparent as possible. Usually, I do respond to threads due to the same repetitive questions popping up but I think there's sufficient information on this forum for quite a few methods now.

B

betternever2havbeen

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I think I've only been actively involved in them as the one asking questions, not providing info myself. If it's something like a jumping or train thread there's usually plenty of people on it telling OP it's a bad idea already. Usually offer to talk to someone before they do anything, or ask them more about their life. Sometimes you just don't know what to say, it can be really hard.

AboutTom

AboutTom

Being born is not a gift but the result of a crime
Feb 9, 2023
I like these threads but i have to be super careful in what i say, bc even tho i fully support bodily autonomy, im paranoid about getting into legal trouble for being too supportive of people making choises for themselves.

Reactions: Aim
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't get why talking one out of it is an option for the poll. Sorry but there's the "recovery" section for those who want that kind of "help", people come here to escape from pro-life people, it's a pro-choice forum anyway to respect people's decisions, it's not meant for those who are against the right to die.

In my case I'm not knowledgable about suicide methods to even reply to those questions asked and it's horrible how we cannot just easily die in peace and have to research suicide methods in the first place. I despise this hellish anti-suicide society, it's too difficult to die.