Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
The worst part about jumping is that jarring feeling that'll come as soon as you're beyond saving. It's painful to anticipate that.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
for sure longer than 10 seconds ^^
i also have the theory that it depends one the emotional state.
for example if u take a skydive without the intention to die, a 10 second fall would maybe feel a bit longer cause its an intense experience, especially the first times.
but if u fall for other reasons, i might significant longer, cause your emotional state is more alert and so your perception is more intense.

for me at least thats something that partly scares me, that maybe this short moment at the end feels much longer than it actually is from the outside.

Reactions: Greenberg
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Well, paratroopers in WWII had a descent time of around 7 seconds. They've pretty much uniformly described it as feeling like minutes, and they can take 10 minutes or more to describe everything they saw, thought, felt, and did in that short time, due to their heightened awareness in the moment.

Not trying to scare you or put you off, it's just something I've read a lot about. My head is full of dumb stuff like that.

• Love
Reactions: Seiniar, BLUE1970, opiatedreamz and 3 others
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
my longest timestretch was a few seconds which i perceived as about 20minutes.
i later observed myself sometimes when i watched movies and discovered that scenes which leave a big impression seemed much longer seeing them the first time than later again. mostly these timestretches were extended by the factor of 3 to 5 (1 sec becomes 3sec etc).
this also explains for me, why time seems to pass faster the older you get. cause your so called "firsts" get fewer and repeated activities transform more to a habit which seems to need less attention.

edit: scared myself already with this, by thinking what if the timestretch is so massive that this final moment lasts subjectivly longer than if you would sit your life out till your natural end. :D

Last edited:
Throwmyselfaway

Throwmyselfaway

Not gone yet but soon
Jan 14, 2020
Years ago, I fell down a two story net on a climbing thing at a theme park. My leg caught in the net and I stopped. I did not hit my head. All I remember is when I was at the top and someone grabbed me and yanked , then I stopped falling.

Also another one I was shoved down a flight of stairs when I was a kid. It was over in a flash.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
It would feel like 10 seconds bruh 10 seconds is 10 seconds

Reactions: Deleted member 14573, depressedsally, BLUE1970 and 1 other person
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
I'd say it feels like less than 10 seconds because I don't think you will have time to actually think about how long you think it could feel.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and BLUE1970
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
I dunno but that's high! Beachy Head is said to be around half that time.

Reactions: depressedsally, Good4Nothing and sadworld
BridgeJumper

BridgeJumper

The Arsonist
Apr 7, 2019
A 15 meter fall (like 1 second?) felt awful for me, vomit inducing and like someone snapped the cord in an elevator.
I cant imagine 10 seconds. Plenty of time to scream and regret (Im the 'do something and regret it last minute kinda person)
And it definitely feels way longer than if I were to watch myself falling from below, its so eerie. Like the time came to a halt

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Could be different for everyone. Who really knows if you fall full of regret I imagine it would be horrendously long racing brain but if it's an excited anticipation of not existing I'd imagine better. That's my take.

Reactions: dropdeadfred
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
Many years ago I fell two stories from the top of a climbing wall onto a very thin looking (but 'life saving') rubber mat. I remember the free-fall more because my mind was completely empty, I was just ultra aware of my body in a physical sense, the rush of air, my surroundings, the noise etc. But there was no fear, no thoughts, no emotions.

The fall itself couldn't have lasted more than a few seconds but it still felt like longer.

The most memorable moment for me was the impact, it winded me badly but I stayed conscious. I remember the deafening thud, a room of about forty something people all fell silent at exactly the same time, nobody daring to speak first in case I was dead or something.

I remember the physical feeling of the impact too, it was just a tremendous pressure all over my back, followed by a beat, followed by wondering why I wasn't in pain, followed by pain.

it was quite a minor fall really, but I remember the experience vividly.

Last edited:
Reactions: dropdeadfred
lonelymountaingirl

lonelymountaingirl

just passing through
Oct 21, 2020
A ten second fall is pretty far.

let's see—9.8m/sec...

98m. That's like 300 feet.

That is a 30-story building.

Yuck, math.

Reactions: Good4Nothing and MrBlue
D

DontGiveAshiit

Student
Nov 1, 2020
I was thinking about jumping, but for me the fear is not during the fall, but rather hitting the ground - Do you immediately die? or at least lose conscious? I definitely dont want to lay there in pain until Im dead

Reactions: GravityUtilizer
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
I was thinking about jumping, but for me the fear is not during the fall, but rather hitting the ground - Do you immediately die? or at least lose conscious? I definitely dont want to lay there in pain until Im dead
That's my fear with jumping. From high enough or lower but you hit your head I'd imagine it's instant lights out (or at least lose consciousness) but I guess ultimately it is still something of a leap of faith, which might be fun, if you were in that sort of 'Fuck it' mood.

I can't shake the idea of Beachy Head myself but when the depression hits me I know I'm always more inclined to find a simpler option.

Reactions: BLUE1970
Time to fly

Time to fly

TTFN - time to fly now
Nov 3, 2020
I went off tower bridge in 88 40 meters and it was over in a flash...maybe one possibly two seconds...didn't have time to register anything apart from the regret once in water that it didn't work

Reactions: BLUE1970
depressedsally

depressedsally

Dead
Nov 6, 2020
I may travel to beachy head I know that area well

Time to fly

Time to fly

TTFN - time to fly now
Nov 3, 2020
BH is where I want to go this time...jealous if you get there before me

depressedsally

depressedsally

Dead
Nov 6, 2020
It's a beautiful place. Tbh am scared of highs so I don't know if I could do it this way but it's a quick way

Time to fly

Time to fly

TTFN - time to fly now
Nov 3, 2020
It's a beautiful place. Tbh am scared of highs so I don't know if I could do it this way but it's a quick way
I can't stand heights but having gone off tower bridge before I know I can do BH with just a look ahead and run for it...just wish I could get there now...

W

Willbegonesoon

M/38
Aug 13, 2020
The worst part about jumping is that jarring feeling that'll come as soon as you're beyond saving. It's painful to anticipate that.
A ten second fall is pretty far.

let's see—9.8m/sec...

98m. That's like 300 feet.

That is a 30-story building.

Yuck, math.
It's way higher:
10 sec freefall, 9.8 m/s^2 acceleration is 490.5 m height.
That's rather a 190 story building.

Reactions: Time to fly