N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
The community is very friendly. There a probably some bad actors and bad apples though. But overall I have a very good experience on here. I was in several other online community and two real life self-help groups.

I say the following explicitly not to suck the staff off. But in all honesty the staff treated me way better than on other places. (One could speculate maybe because I am a main contributor that barely posts questionable stuff)
I made pretty bad experience on other places for example where they did not allow me to a certain forum because I failed the application process then they wanted me to send offcial documents to approve my identity. Bitch my ass. This forum I talk about is close to dead. With me they might have had a chance. Hihihi.

I had some anxiety about something I don't want to talk about now but the staff treated my needs way friendlier than on other places. It is ironically because in the media they call us monsters and the rock bottom of human abyss. But the staff of the pro-life place just laughed at my need and ignored it. You get what you deserve.

I think the contrast of how this forum is talked about in the media and how it actually is is for many people striking.

I think though this forum is not a place for everyone. There is a potential that one's mental health deteriorates because of all the suffering and sadness. If this is the case it is the best choice to leave this place and to search for an online community that fits your needs better. Or to go to a professional therapist.

What do you think? I think to go through severe hardship can make oneself more sensitive towards suffering and people in pain. Suicidal thoughts unite us. And we can relate to each other in hating one's own life (usually). The stigma of suicidality and illness also. Moreover I got recommended some of my favorite artists on here.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: wobblycoatrack, katagiri83, Praestat_Mori and 8 others
Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
Really though, the people on here are super nice. I feel way more comfortable here than I do on any of the social media platforms.

Prolly unrelated, but people always come off to me as a bit disingenuous on, say, Reddit (even on the mental health subs), Discord, or YT as compared to here; maybe that is due to the nature of this forum, but who knows...

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, AInilam, EternalShore and 1 other person
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
I think the contrast of how this forum is talked about in the media and how it actually is is for many people striking.
Totally agree with this!! The media talks about this place like it's some sort of satanic death cult, yet being part of the recovery section of this forum has helped me climb out of the worst suicidal period of my life. Just the other day I saw a thread where someone posted about needing someone to talk to because they didn't feel comfortable reaching out to a suicide hotline, and everyone who posted was really supportive and kind. Hell, I don't even want to die anymore at this point, but I'm still on here because it makes me feel less alone with my mental health BS.

I think it's probably true that because the people on here have suffered so much emotionally to get to this point, they're more likely to be empathetic. But that's obviously a broad stroke statement and not true to everyone.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
yeah, we supposedly kill people when we're just welcoming and sweeter to them than the entire world has been to any of us for our entire lives. :/ I suppose that may be why they hate us~

Prolly unrelated, but people always come off to me as a bit disingenuous on, say, Reddit, Discord, or YT as compared to here; maybe that is due to the nature of this forum, but who knows...
yeah, probably, due to the nature of the site~ People everywhere (irl and on other sites) are serial liars, but being able to talk about one's most socially unacceptable desires here without fear of consequence probably allows to be truly ourselves and nice to others. :)

That being said, I've often felt like I couldn't talk about certain things here, and there are definitely many mean people here as well. :( People here can swarm you for sources, be really rude, make fun of others for natalist/Christian religious beliefs, etc.~

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, sadwriter and Sylveon
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I don't have anywhere else to compare it with. I never found the need to look for anywhere else after finding here- I've never been a fan of Facebook or Instagram. But- I agree. I think this is a very unique place. In most part, it's incredibly tolerant and compassionate. I agree- I think it's because so many people here have suffered.

Also- I hesitate to guess that many of us feel a bit like misfits in life- so- maybe we are more welcoming and supportive to one another because we know what it's like to feel left out and ignored and we don't want others to feel like that. I'd say the majority of people here are gentle souls too. There are many people here who are victims of bullying and abuse. There seem to be fewer bullies and people tend to call them out if they show up. I've been (rightly) called out for saying something insenstive in the past. I think we do a good job of regulating one another and most people will stop and reconsider their views if they see they have offended others. (In my experience.)

Still- I do understand what you mean. I don't think this is the best place to be if someone is making real efforts to banish negative thoughts. Especially the 'suicide discussion' section. But that's why I think everyone needs to self regulate. We're adults after all (or- we ought to be to have an account here.) It's up to us to decide where we want to focus our lives and thinking. I think plenty of people have recognised that this place may not be where they need to be right now and either moved over to the recovery section, or left the site.

That's actually something that really annoys me. That these pro-lifers don't give us credit that we're not mindless idiots that have been gullibly sucked into a death cult... Whoever is here deliberately searched for this site for a reason! They found it, likely read some posts and lurked for a while- sometimes even weeks or months before making an account. They obviously did it because the site resonated with their own thinking- ie. they were suicidal before coming here. What's more- they clearly didn't find a better alternative- otherwise- they'd be there rather than here!

So- for all those that criticise the site- do something more constructive! Try and figure out why people come here in the first place- better to try and stop people from becoming suicidal to begin with rather than put up nets at the last hurdle! Ask yourselves- why is this particular site so popular? I'd say a major factor is that it provides a space for free speech and especially- free speech around suicide. Ok- you might not want to provide methods for people elsewhere but- preventing people from even discussing it openly isn't doing anyone any favours! You take this away and you'll be further isolating a group of already very isolated people. So- please don't!

• Hugs
Reactions: katagiri83, Praestat_Mori, noname223 and 1 other person
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I think that not having a down vote button makes sasu feel more friendly

Reactions: wobblycoatrack, noSuffering, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
Pro-lifers (may) care about your life but not about your feelings, they just simply want you to live no matter what and it's toxic.

Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow, wobblycoatrack, Sprite_Geist and 4 others
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Many users here have suffered for years, most of their life even. Sometimes that experience just turns a person into a hateful, bitter shell of their former selves, but it builds empathy in most others. Human beings are wired for connection, and we can relate to each other far more than we can with most other people due to our similar life experiences.

I have friends IRL and generally do not find it too difficult to be friendly with acquaintances, coworkers, and the like, but I have to draw a big, fat line in the sand regarding just what I can tell them. I don't have to do that here.

Reactions: wobblycoatrack, katagiri83, sadwriter and 2 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Pro-lifers (may) care about your life but not about your feelings, they just simply want you to live no matter what and it's toxic.

"Ha! F**k your feelings buttercup! The world doesn't revolve around your emotions!"

"Oh no! Please don't kill yourself! Think of the people you'll hurt! I can't believe you don't care about others emotional well being!"

Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow, FundamentalAspect and socio
wobblycoatrack

wobblycoatrack

Oct 5, 2023
I have friends IRL and generally do not find it too difficult to be friendly with acquaintances, coworkers, and the like, but I have to draw a big, fat line in the sand regarding just what I can tell them. I don't have to do that here.
This is exactly it for me, its cathartic to be able to just talk about the shit you're going through with people who understand and don't know me so there's no emotional attachment to me yk?

also i feel like most of the pro life forums i've been on it the past tend to guilt people. "you've got so much to live for" "think about the people who care about you, they would be devastated if you died" that kinda thing when sometimes you just need to get it all out and have someone say that your feelings are valid and not try and convince you of anything.

Reactions: Celerity and Sprite_Geist