FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
Philip Nitschke has created a machine consisting of a 3D-printed detachable capsule mounted on a stand that contains a canister of liquid nitrogen to die by suicide through inert gas. People have been signing up to use the device.

Rescently in Switzerland people have been arrested for helping a US citizen die using the pod. "Assisted dying is legally protected in some circumstances in Switzerland, it is strictly regulated and the Sarco pod has encountered opposition" The Swiss authorities are opposed to the device because it can be operated without medical oversight and there are concerns a person can manufacture the device themselves if they have a 3D printer and acess to poisonous gasses

How did this US citizen get help accessing a Pod.

Reactions: Hunter2005, ijustwishtodie and TheEndForMe
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
On their official website of The Last Resort there is an application tab to send a request, but it'll only be considered for those over 50 like anything Exit-International related.

• Informative
Reactions: opheliaoveragain and _AllCatsAreGrey_
FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
On their official website of The Last Resort there is an application tab to send a request, but it'll only be considered for those over 50 like anything Exit-International related.
@wCvML2 over 50s what the fuck. Oh my god. What is it with Philip Nitschke and elderly people ? Does he want their pensions and life savings or something? He loves this demographic top much

• Yay!
Reactions: Bear1234, ijustwishtodie, permanently tired and 1 other person
reallysleepy

reallysleepy

She/her
Oct 25, 2023
I think that you also have to have an illness that can't be cured and that it physically kind of destroys your life. Like a really bad cancer or that illness that makes your muscles stop working one by one.
Like, for what I've read (I'm not expert in this) if you are 50 and mentally ill it's not enough to access those assisted suicide services.

• Informative
Reactions: Tommen Baratheon
J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
@wCvML2 over 50s what the fuck. Oh my god. What is it with Philip Nitschke and elderly people ? Does he want their pensions and life savings or something? He loves this demographic top much
I guess you have to start somewhere?, 50 is just an arbitrary number. I do look forward to the day when age is relative.

singingcrow

singingcrow

Jul 7, 2024
I think that you also have to have an illness that can't be cured and that it physically kind of destroys your life. Like a really bad cancer or that illness that makes your muscles stop working one by one.
Like, for what I've read (I'm not expert in this) if you are 50 and mentally ill it's not enough to access those assisted suicide services.
its a shame being mentally ill doesn't qualify

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I doubt we'll be seeing it on Amazon/Ebay anytime soon...

I get the impression Nitschke and Exit International are very much about keeping assisted suicude gate kept for the over 50's and terminally/chronically ill. How to be eligible? Suffer for thr next 30 odd years and then contract something debilitating.

Reactions: uglyugly and ijustwishtodie
uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
It's my understanding from reading some of the Swiss requirements that an American can go there to die, but it is an expensive and long process. Maybe I am reading wrong because who knows if 1% or less of the shit we read online is the truth any more.

Well, at least I am over 50 so I suppose I'd qualify for a pod. You know what would happen? I'd go there to ctb and be so overwhelmed with the natural beauty of the Swiss alps and countryside that I'd change my mind. Talk about a wasted opportunity. Then I'd get deported back to the US, be broke and lost my chance. Figures.

Reactions: Jarni
mashiroll

mashiroll

Jan 5, 2024
Philip Nitschke has created a machine consisting of a 3D-printed detachable capsule mounted on a stand that contains a canister of liquid nitrogen to die by suicide through inert gas. People have been signing up to use the device.

Rescently in Switzerland people have been arrested for helping a US citizen die using the pod. "Assisted dying is legally protected in some circumstances in Switzerland, it is strictly regulated and the Sarco pod has encountered opposition" The Swiss authorities are opposed to the device because it can be operated without medical oversight and there are concerns a person can manufacture the device themselves if they have a 3D printer and acess to poisonous gasses

How did this US citizen get help accessing a Pod.
i think the patient already was suffering with a chronic illness. its a very long and expensive process from what i know. unless you're an elderly slowly dying with some money to throw then it seems pretty pointless to try getting a hold of

Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
its a shame being mentally ill doesn't qualify
I think simply being mental ill doesn't qualify anywhere in the world. In Belgium we have euthanasia because of 'ondraaglijk pyschisch lijden' (unbearable mental suffering), but this can also be meant for people who have cancer. If you don't have a physical illness then an incurable mental disorder (schizophrenia, bipolar, ...) is required. But simply having a mental disorder isn't enough.

blue

blue

Jul 21, 2019
It's my understanding from reading some of the Swiss requirements that an American can go there to die, but it is an expensive and long process. Maybe I am reading wrong because who knows if 1% or less of the shit we read online is the truth any more.

Well, at least I am over 50 so I suppose I'd qualify for a pod. You know what would happen? I'd go there to ctb and be so overwhelmed with the natural beauty of the Swiss alps and countryside that I'd change my mind. Talk about a wasted opportunity. Then I'd get deported back to the US, be broke and lost my chance. Figures.
I listened to a woman from the US explain how she was able to take her husband there to die in a podcast. He had dementia. It was a lot of work and effort to get this for him.