MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
I called out of work this morning due to going through a real rough patch currently. I'm really not in the position to afford to be able to right now but I just kind of broke down when I was trying to get ready for work. I've had situations like this before but the thing is when I get real bad like this it can lead to me missing large chunks of work, not just a few days. My current, fairly long time employer has been surprisingly understanding about it in the past (I think I've put myself in a position to be very difficult to actually replace, that's the only reason I can think of that they've tolerated it) but that could always change and even if it doesn't fact is if I don't go in I don't get any of that necessary evil known as money.

Whenever I ask others for advice on this I get the usual "Suck it up" or "Get off your lazy ass" talk which is admittedly fair but not particularly helpful, so I figured I'd ask here since I figure you guys here have a better understanding of what is currently going on in my head than they do.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and littlelungs
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Sometimes you have to take a "mental health day". It's better than showing up and getting fired for poor performance or a bad attitude.

I try to listen to podcasts about neutral topics or pick up a coffee or treat on the way to work to cheer me up and keep my mind as clear as possible. I'm sorry I don't have much more to offer than that. I hate my job too, and they hate me.

• Hugs
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Sometimes you have to take a "mental health day". It's better than showing up and getting fired for poor performance or a bad attitude.

Yeah, I definitely agree. When I go in feeling especially grim I pretty much do the bare minimum then GTFO as soon as I can which I think actually looks worse honestly.

I appreciate the advice. I'll probably try the podcast idea. My workplace is actually pretty lax towards earbuds unless the big bosses are there so I might take advantage of that and maybe find some podcasts to help keep me more distracted during any kind of downtime I have at work too.

Reactions: Celerity
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Sometimes you have to take a "mental health day"
I feel like I need a mental health year or two....and still get paid the same as if I was working.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: goingoutinstyle and MellowAvenue
Largeletters

Largeletters

Alone
Jan 21, 2020
This is why I haven't gotten a job, despite being of age and everybody getting on my ass about it. I know I'd be a horrible worker, not because I'm lazy but because half the time I can barely get up and start my day. I'm sorry you're going through this, though

• Hugs
Reactions: goingoutinstyle, BluesRunTheGame and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
I feel like I need a mental health year or two....and still get paid the same as if I was working.
I feel like I missed my chance at this and regret it. Last year my workplace did 2 waves of layoff due to COVID, one involuntary and one voluntary. I nearly took the voluntary layoff but let myself be talked out of by my supervisor. Because work slowed down big time and hours got cut for a few months I actually probably would have made more taking the layoff for a time. Oh if only.

This is why I haven't gotten a job, despite being of age and everybody getting on my ass about it. I know I'd be a horrible worker, not because I'm lazy but because half the time I can barely get up and start my day. I'm sorry you're going through this, though

Yeah, I can understand that. It was kind of why I held off getting a job for so long but for whatever this is worth when I finally did get one it did help me for a time. I was an A+ worker for a year and a half I'd say but then I guess I'll say life kind of caught back up to me and now I've had good and bad stretches and am hoping I'm not falling back into a bad one.

• Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters
restforeternity

restforeternity

Student
Feb 17, 2019
I drag a joint in the morning on my way to work.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, Largeletters, NewYorkGarbage and 2 others
N

NewYorkGarbage

Aug 3, 2021
I drag a joint in the morning on my way to work.
and then a few throughout the day, and a couple at night
200.gif

i know this thread is a bit old, sorry for bringing it back. i actually really enjoy the opportunity to work, and thankfully i have a job i enjoy right now. it's the quiet after work i cant stand

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Largeletters
Jumping_realms

Jumping_realms

★☆★ ☠️★☆★
Jul 4, 2021
I simply say fuck it and don't.

• Love
Reactions: newave3