HollowDrop

HollowDrop

ah
Oct 4, 2023
Specifically impulsive thoughts about harming yourself. Do you have ways that help you snap out of them or distract yourself until it passes?

I sometimes get impulsive thoughts about hurting myself with knives, imagining grabbing them and shanking them into a part of my body. I'm sensitive to physical pain though so I haven't acted out on those thoughts yet aside from cutting my wrist/arm. I don't have real ways to stop myself most of the time, I'm curious to hear other people's experiences and if you are able to fight similar self harm thoughts and urges.

Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
I have those thoughts mostly really late at night. What i like to do is just literally sprint around the neighbourhood until i literally can't and i almost have to puke. That gives a rush of adrenaline and distracts me from the thoughts.

Reactions: HollowDrop
HerLastWords

HerLastWords

Let the waves take your pain away
Oct 2, 2023
I have some ways of dealing with it. The first one doesn't work very well but I can't help myself, I don't recommend it tho. That is basically hitting some part of my body, arm, leg, etc. The other way is closing my eyes and count numbers until I'm calmed down, I also go and eat a snack to distract myself while listening to music.

D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
I highly recommend you check out the work of jerry marzinsky. He has decades of experience helping people with invasive thoughts and voices.

Livingvsdying25

Livingvsdying25

Enlightened
Dec 8, 2019
Honestly these days I just sit with em. I tell myself they are just thoughts and thoughts don't/ don't have to equal action.

I try to just... not move as much as I can but that might also just be a trauma response keeping me from moving. Im not 100% sure.

Otherwise ig for me these thoughts don't feel that worth acting on in the sense of if rather CTB if ima even bother self harming.... so ig a kinda way of rationalizing?

Next is watchin vids on YouTube or reading to distract.

Most of this probs wasn't helpful srry.

MelancholyDolly

MelancholyDolly

Lolita ♡ I am a human doll
Oct 28, 2023
I often get impulsive thoughts like that throughout the day, so I counter it by trying to do something even more impulsive. I'll just straight up leave with no explanation and not come back until I feel like I've cooled down. Screaming, or breaking things works for me to, it's really weird but I'm okay with being seen as a little nuts as long as I feel okay.

• Love
cryvinglightning

cryvinglightning

it gets worse before it gets better.
Oct 27, 2023
usually i cut, lol. and if i can't for any reason i'll just write them down in my notes app.