TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I've read news articles and stories regarding various people with severe physical disabilities that are unable (or have an extremely difficult time) to ctb, especially after a horrible accident, a traumatic encounter/incident, and/or event that left them crippled. The doctors and courts do not allow them to die and they themselves don't have the ability to die either (except through natural causes). Now of course, not every case is the same and not all people with SCI (Spinal Cord Injuries) are completely paralyzed as there are different varying degrees of paralysis (paraplegia, quadriplegia) and some could move their arms or legs.

Some stories for example:
A man in Wisconsin begs to die, but the hospital refuses.
Here is another one, but outside of the US.

With that said, I am wondering how (assuming they are in most of the areas around the world where euthanasia/assisted suicide is illegal or not legalized) would these people find peace or ctb? While I know that the patient could voluntarily stop eating and drinking (VSED), I can't think of someone who has lost all uses of his/her limbs be able to reliably ctb? Are there any methods for the person to 'reliably' ctb without resorting to either passive death (natural causes and/or starvation/dehydration), or is the person really shit out of luck, at the mercy of the pro-lifers, doctors, healthcare professionals, and the government?

This is one of my fears IRL where I become too severely disabled to the point where even I could not physically ctb. It is a very scary situation to be in, to be alive and want to die yet unable to carry out the attempt to actually die. Then on top of that, no assistance from doctors or government to help put the person down and end their suffering.

Note: I am not physically disabled at the moment and do have full function of all my limbs. I am merely asking this hypothetical question so that in the event I face this I would have some idea of my options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jen Erik, Voldmort, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
It's a very curious question actually because I know a person who is quadriplegic and has rarely suffered from suicidal thoughts. He's a lot older than me and my mother cares for him, so it's not like I've discussed this stuff with him but it did make me wonder. He said to her "I might as well just kill myself" and it got me wondering how he might go about that, his injury caused paralysis from like the neck down excluding his arms. He can move his arms but not fingers or basically anything else. Imagining myself in such a situation I think until the right to die is respected you would have to pin all your hopes on meeting a person that be understanding enough to help you.

Reactions: nzdarkshark and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Hm, that's interesting. I suppose with the arms, one could roll the wheelchair to a dangerous place like incoming traffic, a cliff, or a body of water (lake, river, streams). As far as others with even more limited mobility than him, then I'm not sure in short of starvation :(

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
This is one of my fears IRL where I become too severely disabled to the point where even I could not physically ctb.
It's a shitty feeling to have. I obsess over it and I feel like it makes me want to rush and ctb before it happens. (I'm not presently disabled either.)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals