• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
It's nice to kill time when I'm lonely but I wonder if anyone feels like they've actually helped?

Reactions: Celerity
Smelly_ballz

Smelly_ballz

No hope in heaven, No fear of hell
Oct 30, 2023
I could never get myself to open up. I won't tell a room full of unknown faces what is going on in my head. I won't even tell faces I do know (mostly bc I will get sent away lol).
In movies after a character attempts, they go to group therapy, then feel better, but that's is not how it is for most ppl. It might help you, but I think it takes a specific person to be able to get thru it.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I could never get myself to open up. I won't tell a room full of unknown faces what is going on in my head. I won't even tell faces I do know (mostly bc I will get sent away lol).
That's interesting, I saw some facebook ad (that's probably based on biased research) that people are more likely to open up to strangers than close friends. I don't really have a problem opening up to strangers usually, with a few exceptions that are kinda random and uncorrelated I think.
In movies after a character attempts, they go to group therapy, then feel better, but that's is not how it is for most ppl. It might help you, but I think it takes a specific person to be able to get thru it.
I did 5 weeks of partial hospitalization (6 hours/day 5 days/week group therapy) followed by 3 weeks of intensive outpatient (3 hours/day 3 days/week group therapy) with the same group of people. I think I felt better* for a while because it was the first time in my life I felt like I had friends who really got it. And there were fun artsy activities to take your mind off things. Hanging out was technically against group rules and probably good reason. I still keep in touch with some individually, they're good people but the group dynamic was a mess for reasons you can probably guess. Could've been worse, but I think we all just knew it wasn't meant to last.

*Better did not equal not suicidal though, we had to report ideations every morning and everyone was lowkey concerned about me because mine never went away after all that time.

Virtual once/week (if that) support group though? Meh. Throw in 12 step formalities in there? Oof.

Smelly_ballz

Smelly_ballz

No hope in heaven, No fear of hell
Oct 30, 2023
That's interesting, I saw some facebook ad (that's probably based on biased research) that people are more likely to open up to strangers than close friends. I don't really have a problem opening up to strangers usually, with a few exceptions that are kinda random and uncorrelated I think.

I did 5 weeks of partial hospitalization (6 hours/day 5 days/week group therapy) followed by 3 weeks of intensive outpatient (3 hours/day 3 days/week group therapy) with the same group of people. I think I felt better* for a while because it was the first time in my life I felt like I had friends who really got it. And there were fun artsy activities to take your mind off things. Hanging out was technically against group rules and probably good reason. I still keep in touch with some individually, they're good people but the group dynamic was a mess for reasons you can probably guess. Could've been worse, but I think we all just knew it wasn't meant to last.

*Better did not equal not suicidal though, we had to report ideations every morning and everyone was lowkey concerned about me because mine never went away after all that time.

Virtual once/week (if that) support group though? Meh. Throw in 12 step formalities in there? Oof.
I was almost able to do partial hospitalization, but I didn't have a ride or time. We had group therapy in the hospital when I was fully hospitalized. We also had activities like that.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I was almost able to do partial hospitalization, but I didn't have a ride or time. We had group therapy in the hospital when I was fully hospitalized. We also had activities like that.
You didn't miss out on much. I on the other hand missed out on a year of grad school though for just 2 months of treatment lol. The remaining 10 months (well, 8, another 2 were later spent in residential) were painfully (that word feels like an understatement) boring.

G

godsseepiestsoldier

Oct 22, 2023
Big problems with opening up (im a lil better about it on here but still) but mainly no one rlly understands me at them which just makes me feel worse than before i went. Opening up even the smallest amount to ppl you thought could relate or ppl who consider themselves pretty socially outcast or different rejecting you just feels shitty like ur so wrong it will never matter. Dont go to any support groups anymore thankfully lol.

Reactions: DyingToDie123
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I benefited from them, but it may be hard to find one that works for you. I joined a Adult Children of Alcoholics (& Dysfunctional Families) group, ACoA. Mine was moderated by a therapist. The degree of religiosity and adherence to the program probably varies the experience between groups quite a bit. As an atheist, I had to do a lot of mental gymnastics around the "higher power" concept, but I don't think it really hampered my usage of the rest of the material.

In the post-COVID era, I suspect that online-only groups have become even more common. Having done both, I would not recommend them. In-person is still the best way by far.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I benefited from them, but it may be hard to find one that works for you. I joined a Adult Children of Alcoholics (& Dysfunctional Families) group, ACoA. Mine was moderated by a therapist.
I'm glad you benefitted! I heard good things about this one when I was in residential treatment (we had to go to online support groups 4 nights a week). They actually forced me into this one my first week and I was pretty bitter because I don't really identify as coming from an Alcoholic or dysfunctional family. I mean, they're not perfect, but I didn't resonate with much of anything on the laundry list of issues that they gave.
The degree of religiosity and adherence to the program probably varies the experience between groups quite a bit. As an atheist, I had to do a lot of mental gymnastics around the "higher power" concept, but I don't think it really hampered my usage of the rest of the material.
I've had this experience to some extent too with 12 steps. There's an EDA meeting for Atheists and Agnostics that I really liked as it changed the language to be more inclusive. I wish there was more of that.
In the post-COVID era, I suspect that online-only groups have become even more common. Having done both, I would not recommend them. In-person is still the best way by far.
Interesting! I've essentially only done online.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I'm glad you benefitted! I heard good things about this one when I was in residential treatment (we had to go to online support groups 4 nights a week). They actually forced me into this one my first week and I was pretty bitter because I don't really identify as coming from an Alcoholic or dysfunctional family. I mean, they're not perfect, but I didn't resonate with much of anything on the laundry list of issues that they gave.

I've had this experience to some extent too with 12 steps. There's an EDA meeting for Atheists and Agnostics that I really liked as it changed the language to be more inclusive. I wish there was more of that.

Interesting! I've essentially only done online.
If you didn't resonate with any of the laundry list, then I don't recommend ACoA.

I have definitely preferred online though. That might be your issue. Eye contact is a really big thing, and I also find that people tend to hold themselves differently when they're being recorded. I feel like you get a more genuine show of emotion in-person, and it is easier to read them and feel empathy.

• Love
Reactions: DyingToDie123