• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I don't get it. Do they follow the one from their area even if they suck, and then what if they move? Do they switch allegiances? It's all so ridiculous

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Not a sports fan, but I imagine people choose whichever team is closest to wherever they live because it's easier to feel pride that way or maybe they follow the athletes themselves...

waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
They mostly follow what their family has been following for years and never switch after they started being a fan once. It's just the most idiotic thing in the world to me.
It's basically a bit like being a racist...which also only depends on where you were born.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Not a sports fan, but I imagine people choose whichever team is closest to wherever they live because it's easier to feel pride that way or maybe they follow the athletes themselves...
It's all so ridiculous. Normies
They mostly follow what their family has been following for years and never switch after they started being a fan once. It's just the most idiotic thing in the world to me.
It's basically a bit like being a racist...which also only depends on where you were born.
And religion lol

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
For me , and I think this is true for many , its family influence .
My Grandfather ,Dad ,Uncles supported and support one ,and only one , football (soccer) team which is local to where we as a family have always lived. So you follow the pattern and I grew up supporting them too. The allegiance never changes no matter how good or bad they are/do. Wherever I might be in the world I would still support that one team ,and no one else , I grew up supporting all my life.
Hope that helps to maybe answer your question.
To me it feels perfectly normal and natural.
I am from U.K just in case you are wondering.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
For me , and I think this is true for many , its family influence .
My Grandfather ,Dad ,Uncles supported and support one ,and only one , football (soccer) team which is local to where we as a family have always lived. So you follow the pattern and I grew up supporting them too. The allegiance never changes no matter how good or bad they are/do. Wherever I might be in the world I would still support that one team ,and no one else , I grew up supporting all my life.
Hope that helps to maybe answer your question.
I am from U.K just in case you are wondering.
Sounds like religion. I hate being human

S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
Yeah I think it's a cultural thing. I suppose if you wanted to be social you'd go to your local sports bar and ask about and then fit in with them.

ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
from what I've seen picking a team is kind of a family tradition, you just go for the one your relatives support. much like religion tbh. at least, that seems to be what the majority of people do.

Reactions: Kramer
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Following a sports team is like following a religion. "Oh my god! Did you hear what Kobe said? He's like the greatest!!11" When he died, people acted like their messiah died.
I just meant I'm not religious because I don't go to church or think about God much.
But yes, I do understand your point about allegiances/sports.
In general I don't take sport that seriously but I'm just happy to stick with my one team.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Yeah I think it's a cultural thing. I suppose if you wanted to be social you'd go to your local sports bar and ask about and then fit in with them.
Fitting in lol
from what I've seen picking a team is kind of a family tradition, you just go for the one your relatives support. much like religion tbh. at least, that seems to be what the majority of people do.
Why are some of us not like the majority?

Reactions: ecmnesia
ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
don't know.

but sometimes i do get the impression that i just like to piss off people by choosing something completely random to indulge it. guess i just like to be the black ship. sad but it gives me some sense of identity. at least those things usually prove themselves to be the right choice for me. or could it be that i just want to believe them to be?

don't know.

All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
I'd love you to expand on this post.
I get why following the same team is idiotic to you.
But the bit like being a racist I'm intrigued by what on earth do you mean?
I chose to follow my local football team due to family doing so and living near the stadium.
I think it's a hugely beneficial thing to do attending games with friends especially travelling around the country to away games is a fantastic way to form bonds and friendships that can last a lifetime.
Also choosing to follow your country to away games is a great experience
It's pretty well documented that the current banning of people from stadiums in the UK is affecting peoples mental health as routines, meeting friends, the adrenaline rush of celebrating a goal are being badly missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: greebo6
Eternal Pessimist

Eternal Pessimist

Student
Oct 16, 2019
I think what team you support is just a matter of where you were born. I don't follow a local team, but I do follow the national teams of my country in the sports that I'm interested in. I'm not patriotic otherwise but I do get into the national team games and often feel very invested in the results. Even if I moved abroad I would probably still cheer for this country's teams because they are the ones I grew up watching and have a lot of good (and bad) memories about.

Reactions: All washed up
Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
To me it only makes sense if it's the team of your city and not a big one, only that way you can see it as something close you.

When the soccer team of my town went from the 6th division to the 5th people went crazy and occupied the streets lol

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
My family is all from the same ice hockey team. Except me who doesn't like sports lol

• Love
Reactions: Jumper Geo
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
The team I hugely support is not from my country. I began to support it when I was a kid and I think the reason was because some family and relatives support it. From my country I support the national team but for the local teams I don't care that much.

All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
The team I hugely support is not from my country. I began to support it when I was a kid and I think the reason was because some family and relatives support it. From my country I support the national team but for the local teams I don't care that much.
When i was in your country everybody supported Manchester United or Arsenal, lol

Reactions: death137
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
When i was in your country everybody supported Manchester United or Arsenal, lol
Yeah most do but there also other teams supporters. 12 or 13 years ago my brother knew someone who supported Bolton lol.

Me and my siblings are Arsenal supporter. My deceased father was originally Arsenal but later changed to Chelsea. I love him so for some time I became Chelsea supporter but in secret lol. After some time I reverted back to Arsenal.

Which team do you support? When did you come to my country?