charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
i can physically feel my brain turning into silly putty lately...

anhedonia prevents me from reading books for the most part, i suck at crosswords, suck at sudoku and any puzzles/riddles really.

is there anything simple i can do to help it. i struggled coming to my house today, could barely remember directions. there's a picture that's been hanging in my flat for years now but it looked newly hung up to me. i struggle remembering words.

if you have any tips please do share, they are greatly appreciated. thank you so much

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Sensei and Epsilon0
HelensNepenthe

HelensNepenthe

Thoughtful poster
Jan 17, 2019
"Method of Loci"; Anyone can do it. There's a book by based on loci by Dominic O'Brien "How to Develop a Perfect Memory". The metholodogy is almost similar to card counting but it works better.

Reactions: Sensei, charlottewilts and Ame
Dystopic_Momento

Dystopic_Momento

Dec 8, 2019
If you have a smartphone with data using google maps or an equivalent app to get home is actually helpful. They have a "walking" option.

Old school, writing yourself a map with lines, names of roads, and little pictures of landmarks.

Catch: you have to keep track of a paper or a phone and you have to remember to use it.

Some memory experts say you can imagine a room of the house and picture an imaginary paper with what you need to do written on each area so when you imagine walking into it you can "remember" but it was too convoluted for me.

Mnemonics work, though. Tie each thing you have to remember with other things. Or "mental hooks" (imagine each new piece of information you have to remember as a coat that you put on a "hook" with the previous information).

The newness of an old picture and forgetting words tells me the stuff I just mentioned might not help. New bad medications have done that to me before, as has extreme stress and problems caused by a TBI.

For just working on memory (and not actually remembering soomething you need to do) search: "Spot the difference". There are free games online and also just pictures. They're tedious and boring and can be frustrating, but you have to remember what's on one side in order to see the difference on the other.

Reactions: Sensei and charlottewilts
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
"Method of Loci"; Anyone can do it. There's a book by based on loci by Dominic O'Brien "How to Develop a Perfect Memory". The metholodogy is almost similar to card counting but it works better.

oh, that's really interesting! i've been using this technique for a long time without knowing the name.

For just working on memory (and not actually remembering soomething you need to do) search: "Spot the difference". There are free games online and also just pictures. They're tedious and boring and can be frustrating, but you have to remember what's on one side in order to see the difference on the other.
i do love those! they were my favourite as a kid. i'll look up some, thank you. as for the other suggestions, they're helpful, but i'm not at the Alzheimer stage yet (at least i hope not?!) i found a cheap, neat game of tangrams in a local store. i think i'll try that out too, i was good at them as a kid.

Reactions: Dystopic_Momento and Sensei
aiuto

aiuto

None
Jun 28, 2019
If you have some friends, try agreeing with one of them to both watch the same movie in order to discuss it in the next day.
This should "force" you to get the habit of more effectively notice details and to explain them in a comprehensible way.

Reactions: Sensei and charlottewilts
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
How do I get rid of mine?

Reactions: charlottewilts
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
Are you getting enough sleep?. I heard not getting enough sleep causes memory problems, and can cause anhedonia. I'm a insomniac, and there is times when I feel forgetful. I never heard of the word anhedonia until now. Lack of pleasure in activities you usually like. It could be depression, or Insomnia that triggers it.

Last edited:
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
You have friends here, don't you? Maybe you could ask someone to see the same movie and then you can chat about it?

damn i mean i have people i talk to but i wouldn't want to bother anyone with that... it's not like i'll be needing my memory that long anyways, so i'm just looking for quick solutions i can do on my own to ameliorate it a little while i'm still here

How do I get rid of mine?

benzos+alcohol every day, idk how well it'll work for you since i started at 15 while my brain was still developing. but it would certainly do the trick temporarily.

Are you getting enough sleep?. I heard not getting enough sleep causes memory problems, and can cause anhedonia. I'm a insomniac, and there is times when I feel forgetful. I never heard of the word anhedonia until now. Lack of pleasure in activities you usually like. It could be depression, or Insomnia that triggers it.

i oversleep most of the time actually, since i love dreaming a lot. i think i've read somewhere that excessive sleeping can be detrimental as well...

Reactions: Mr2005
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
damn i mean i have people i talk to but i wouldn't want to bother anyone with that...

Come on! People are happy to help each other here. You know this by now. If nothing else, it could be fun.

it's not like i'll be needing my memory that long anyways, so i'm just looking for quick solutions i can do on my own to ameliorate it a little while i'm still here

Maybe it'll make you feel better? Maybe you'll change your mind about dying and need it later on? You don't have nothing to lose by trying, have you?

• Love