looking_for_peace

looking_for_peace

Student
Dec 4, 2022
I live in a rural part of New Zealand. We don't have public transportation where I live... it is no exaggeration to say I am stuck in my house. There is nothing nearby, just grass and cows. To get into town, you NEED a vehicle.

So I hope you can see my problem. I wish to do some volunteer work and see a therapist but I would have to rely on my parents when I really do not want to. I'm sick of my house. The kicker is, I actually do have a car but it belongs to my sister now because she has a job and I don't. Even though I bought it, lol... My parents ask why I drink and do nothing all day, as if there is anything else to do. I'm going to try and stop drinking and wake up earlier, but I still don't think it would change much... I'd be on my computer regardless. Could you guys suggest some hobbies? I draw, write, and play video games. I'm hoping to read some more books too.

I'm doing university next year but that is also online because living on campus would be too expensive. Slowly going insane.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, crimson blue and Cathy Ames
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
If you write you could send some short stories to a publisher and see if you could get them published. If you draw, you might find you could do work as a graphic artist remotely.

If you wanted to do some volunteer work at a city, you might be able to arrange that someone else who volunteered with a car who lived nearby might be able to give you a ride.

You could call a local AA group and offer to encourage people by phone not to drink (which might also help you)

• Love
Reactions: katagiri83, Forever Sleep, LivideLamb and 2 others
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
Exercise, take an online course, meditate, learn to cook, grow plants, amateur astronomy...

• Love
Reactions: LivideLamb and Endex
Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
How old are you ? How are you academically ?
Do you have any favorite subjects ?

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
VR is a nice escape if you are stuck inside the house. Walkabout Mini Golf is my fav game.

Reactions: LivideLamb
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
I saw someone mention AA related activity. You can typically find online meetings available for those of us who aren't able to get out of the house. Some of the meetings are set up more personally where you're going to get stuck introducing yourself and speaking which I prefer to avoid, but there are other online meetings where it is just a webcam set up in the middle of a group where you can listen in on it.

Also, if you like listening to music, maybe learning an instrument could be nice? The only bridges to enjoying/getting fulfillment out of this are the cost aspect and the beginning where learning may feel boring if you don't naturally love it. Writing depressing music has helped me to an extent lol so I figured I'd recommend it if you already have any favorite bands or artists that could motivate and inspire you.

Also, doing collages, digital or analog, is something that I was really into for a while. Digital collaging is easy whenever you are too depressed to get out of bed assuming you have a laptop and analog collaging is nice if you happen to feel a little more inspired. Digital collages really only require a very basic level of knowledge for gimp or photoshop. Otherwise, a few magazines, an Exacto blade, and glue make for a cheap hobby.

Reactions: Regen and Cathy Ames
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I live in a rural part of New Zealand. We don't have public transportation where I live... it is no exaggeration to say I am stuck in my house. There is nothing nearby, just grass and cows. To get into town, you NEED a vehicle.

So I hope you can see my problem. I wish to do some volunteer work and see a therapist but I would have to rely on my parents when I really do not want to. I'm sick of my house. The kicker is, I actually do have a car but it belongs to my sister now because she has a job and I don't. Even though I bought it, lol... My parents ask why I drink and do nothing all day, as if there is anything else to do. I'm going to try and stop drinking and wake up earlier, but I still don't think it would change much... I'd be on my computer regardless. Could you guys suggest some hobbies? I draw, write, and play video games. I'm hoping to read some more books too.

I'm doing university next year but that is also online because living on campus would be too expensive. Slowly going insane.
Maybe if your sister has a job you could get a job with similar hours and car pool with her.

Reactions: Regen, ikdwhattothinjof and Endex
Ineedtodie

Ineedtodie

Shame, Avoidance, hopelessness, lonliness, cbt, pm
Nov 9, 2022
I see your deleema. I ' m kind triggered in place with all means of transportation. But I hate this place so god damn much, i deal with body psychosis. And the stigma of being mentally ill. So I find it hard form to move around. Yeah and I' m unemployed. It feels like a prison. No need to mention can't deal with this. My paranoia is getting strong so is my psychosis. My avoidant behavior is very noticible due to my inability to heal or reduce my psychosis dissociation. My people skills is of child not that this important. It feels like a fucking prison. And it's getting not better.

Last edited:
Reactions: looking_for_peace