torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Sometimes,including now, I feel a sudden intense and overwhelming feeling of fear that something may happen to me. That I'll get hurt. That someone will hurt me in the most painful way possible. It makes me breakdown and harm myself. Most of the time this fear is directed at my family because they hate me and they could do anything to me. I lock myself every night in my room but it's not enough. I'm really afraid that something might happen to me. How do I get rid of this feeling? Life's really just a torture shitshow.

• Hugs
Reactions: lemmeeleev and BPD Barbie
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
I get that too and been trying to shut it out but it just comes back. I think it's better to feel it and maybe it will go away on its own, even though it's overwhelming, fear is a basic instinct.
It gets messed up in people because our lifestyles have changed so much. Maybe weather the storm and you might find calm at the end instead of hurting yourself more like I did.

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
I get that too and been trying to shut it out but it just comes back. I think it's better to feel it and maybe it will go away on its own, even though it's overwhelming, fear is a basic instinct.
It gets messed up in people because our lifestyles have changed so much. Maybe weather the storm and you might find calm at the end instead of hurting yourself more like I did.
I'm trying to forget it as much as I can but I can't really. I'm tired of having these feelings of fear. I just want to go back to the void

GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
I know yeah. What about facing it, whatevet your fear is. That is what they say . I didn't face mine and now it's bigger. I can't hide from it anymore and I feel stupid for not facing it for what it was.

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
I know yeah. What about facing it, whatevet your fear is. That is what they say . I didn't face mine and now it's bigger. I can't hide from it anymore and I feel stupid for not facing it for what it was.
How to face it tho

GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Well start where you are, you think your family hate you, maybe they don't? I can't know what they're like but if your locking yourself in your room out of fear then maybe it's time to find out. Is it paranoia or have they hurt you before

torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
I think it's paranoia but i'm sure that they could do anything to me too

GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Do you talk to them at all? I mean if they haven't hurt you before... Just because someone Could do something doesn't mean they will

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I used to get this a lot, I was afraid to even leave my own home, but I had some therapy and did some reading. As someone said in a few posts above, the best thing to do is let that fear come, let it completely wash over you, no matter how uncomfortable you feel. Each time it happens you're retraining yourself to know there is nothing to be scared of. The feeling won't hurt you, I promise, it just feels really horrible.

Reactions: GoBack
torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Do you talk to them at all? I mean if they haven't hurt you before... Just because someone Could do something doesn't mean they will
I do but even so , you never know . most unexpected things happen suddenly
I used to get this a lot, I was afraid to even leave my own home, but I had some therapy and did some reading. As someone said in a few posts above, the best thing to do is let that fear come, let it completely wash over you, no matter how uncomfortable you feel. Each time it happens you're retraining yourself to know there is nothing to be scared of. The feeling won't hurt you, I promise, it just feels really horrible.
I'm trying but im just tired of constantly experiencing it. it makes me wanna harm myself

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I do but even so , you never know . most unexpected things happen suddenly

I'm trying but im just tired of constantly experiencing it. it makes me wanna harm myself
Replace the harm with something else, stab a pillow, rip up paper, punch your pillows, do something else to release that energy. You can do it! I know you have it in you to overcome this :heart: Sadly, the more you fight it, the worse it becomes.

Reactions: torturedbylife
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah. Well you'll have good reflexes from being this on edge. Listen to Barbie, wat she said. Your imagination is probably takin over and running wild. Wat do you do to calm down normally

Reactions: torturedbylife and BPD Barbie
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
This is a long approach that may benefit. I'd recommend doing in stages or very short sessions (maybe set a timer when starting for a short amount of time, such as 10 seconds to no more than five minutes, shorter is better when it's intense, which takes off pressure). The point is to reduce feeling overwhelmed, not increase it.

The feelings sound complex, and that's okay. Sometimes they can all want attention at once and lead to anxiety or flooding. These tools in the approach are what I've learned that have helped me manage and gradually overcome my PTSD symptoms, or at least feel more in control and less attacked by them when they arise.

Approaches:

Recognize the emotions/feelings. Don't put value judgments on them, just name them. Notice if you are not able to name them, and don't put value judgment on not being able to name them.

Recognize the physical sensations, maybe list them.

Focus on one physical sensation. Ask what it is trying to communicate. Be curious about it, no judgment.

Focus on one emotion/feeling. Ask what it is trying to communicate. Be curious about it, no judgement.

When feeling overwhelmed, or when the timer is up, do something that brings closure, like breathing, returning to the present, walking around, drinking water, splashing your face with water, sucking on ice cubes or putting them on your skin -- something that helps you shift back into the present. Maybe say thank you to yourself for listening, or thank the feelings for helping you understand. Then give yourself some time to physically and subconsciously process. Then repeat or progress the next time the feelings come up. Eventually if not right away, you may notice the feelings have less of a charge and are more manageable. Or they may get more manageable only to get strong again later, because they have more to tell you and you're more capable of working with them.

• Love
Reactions: torturedbylife and BPD Barbie
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
This is a long approach that may benefit. I'd recommend doing in stages or very short sessions (maybe set a timer when starting for a short amount of time, such as 10 seconds to no more than five minutes, shorter is better when it's intense, which takes off pressure). The point is to reduce feeling overwhelmed, not increase it.

The feelings sound complex, and that's okay. Sometimes they can all want attention at once and lead to anxiety or flooding. These tools in the approach are what I've learned that have helped me manage and gradually overcome my PTSD symptoms, or at least feel more in control and less attacked by them when they arise.

Approaches:

Recognize the emotions/feelings. Don't put value judgments on them, just name them. Notice if you are not able to name them, and don't put value judgment on not being able to name them.

Focus on one physical sensation. Ask what it is trying to communicate. Be curious about it, no judgment.

Focus on one emotion/feeling. Ask what it is trying to communicate. Be curious about it, no judgement.

When feeling overwhelmed, or when the timer is up, do something that brings closure, like breathing, returning to the present, walking around, drinking water, splashing your face with water, sucking on ice cubes or putting them on your skin -- something that helps you shift back into the present. Maybe say thank you to yourself for listening, or thank the feelings for helping you understand. Then give yourself some time to physically and subconsciously process. Then repeat or progress the next time the feelings come up. Eventually if not right away, you may notice the feelings have less of a charge and are more manageable. Or they may get more manageable only to get strong again later, because they have more to tell you and you're more capable of working with them.
This is some of the best advice :heart:

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I forgot to say, you can get creative with this. You can draw the feelings. You can have a journal conversation with them. You can write about them in your non-dominant hand. Whatever makes you feel comfortable and not feel attacked by them. Feelings and emotions are often our best friends when we recognize them and listen to what they can tell us.

Replace the harm with something else, stab a pillow, rip up paper, punch your pillows, do something else to release that energy. You can do it! I know you have it in you to overcome this :heart: Sadly, the more you fight it, the worse it becomes.

Great advice. Don't know if you've tried this, but another good one I came across is to lay on my back on my bed and punch the bed, extending out my arms to the sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: torturedbylife and GoBack
torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020

Approaches:

Thank you for the great advices! I'll try to do that from now on. Hopefully it'll get better.
Yeah. Well you'll have good reflexes from being this on edge. Listen to Barbie, wat she said. Your imagination is probably takin over and running wild. Wat do you do to calm down normally
Normally I listen to music or read or play games

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and GoBack