SHThrowAway213

SHThrowAway213

That's the hell I live with
Apr 19, 2018
I am planning to kill myself, but I have a flat with my ex which we are in the process of selling.
I want to make a will to make sure the money from the flat sale goes to my family and not my ex.
I can't die without leaving a will because me and my ex are still married and the money from the flat sale will go to him.
But the problem with making a will is you need 2 witnesses, and I have no friends so it is going to have to be my family.
The only problem with this is they know about my history of mental health issues and might get concerned.
Any advice?

MrAsclepius

MrAsclepius

Грустная Сука
Jul 31, 2020
You should be upfront about not wanting the money to go to your ex. I'm sure they would agree with you at least on that part and be more open to signing a will. As far as explaining why you would need it any time soon, if your ex is violent you could use that to help them make a decision. Overall, ensure that they understand it's only a precaution and (maybe) something you've thought over a lot and have decided to do.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I'm sorry if I misunderstand something, but is it possible to hold off selling of the flat and CTB until you and your ex are no longer married? I think it could make things a lot easier, although the advice to be upfront about the will is also great.
Good luck!

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
I'm a big advocate for people having Wills as it saves considerable hassle for your family down the road. Even someone young and with no intention of CTBing should have one in case they die accidentally.

The fact you have a major asset (your flat) and it's complicated because it's co-owned with your ex is reason enough to have a Will.You could say you realized because of the situation with your ex that you should have done this long ago. Make it sound pro forma, just covering yourself business-wise, which might reduce suspicions.

Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
Ours were witnessed and signed by people at the solicitors office.

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

Just Passing Through
Oct 10, 2019
Yes, solicitors as witnesses don't have to be friends? Can legal offices and other businesses provide your witnesses?

SHThrowAway213

SHThrowAway213

That's the hell I live with
Apr 19, 2018
I'm sorry if I misunderstand something, but is it possible to hold off selling of the flat and CTB until you and your ex are no longer married? I think it could make things a lot easier, although the advice to be upfront about the will is also great.
Good luck!
He is refusing to sign the divorce papers.
I can't hold off.

A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
Just tell them it's the responsible thing to do. We don't know the future. Every adult should have a will.