Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Women I meet and want to get to know will ask that and I don't like lying but I don't want to reveal my situation - disability because ocd. I have good qualities. I'm smart, creative, well read, speak well, dress well, have a good BMI, but according to society, I'm a loser because I don't have a job 😔

• Love
Reactions: youshallrideeternal and NumbItAll
D

DeIetedUser4739

Apr 21, 2024
I used to always be honest and say I don't work, I haven't officially worked for over a decade now.

Reactions: Ambivalent1
D

DeIetedUser4739

Apr 21, 2024
Sometimes the subject would get changed and they'd ask something else or I'd ask what do you do?

Other times a common follow up question was usually: Are you looking for work? or, are you studying?, I'd say I'm going to study something or that I worked with my brother sometimes (which I didn't).

Covid helped because from then until now I just told everyone I wasn't vaccinated and every workplace requires it.

H

HoFFnaRR

May 29, 2024
You must overcome the discomfort, awkwardness and pain of what others think, and the need to try and impress. You are hugely valued because you exist, no more required. Society spews garbage, we believe.

• Love
Reactions: Heartaches, DefinitelyReady and Ambivalent1
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Accentuate the Positive
Sep 19, 2023
Did you study anything/have a degree? Then it becomes "my specialty is [X field]" or something like that.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
You must overcome the discomfort, awkwardness and pain of what others think, and the need to try and impress. You are hugely valued because you exist, no more required. Society spews garbage, we believe.
Beautiful 🥹
Did you study anything/have a degree? Then it becomes "my specialty is [X field]" or something like that.
But you're making up a job by doing that or giving the impression you have one.

H

HoFFnaRR

May 29, 2024
You must overcome the discomfort, awkwardness and pain of what others think, and the need to try and impress. You are hugely valued because you exist, no more required. Society spews garbage, we believe
Beautiful 🥹

But you're making up a job by doing that or giving the impression you have one.

Last edited:
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
You must overcome the discomfort, awkwardness and pain of what others think, and the need to try and impress. You are hugely valued because you exist, no more required. Society spews garbage, we believe
Why did you remove what you wrote?
Sometimes the subject would get changed and they'd ask something else or I'd ask what do you do?

Other times a common follow up question was usually: Are you looking for work? or, are you studying?, I'd say I'm going to study something or that I worked with my brother sometimes (which I didn't).

Covid helped because from then until now I just told everyone I wasn't vaccinated and every workplace requires it.
Good tips

Reactions: DeIetedUser4739
H

HoFFnaRR

May 29, 2024
Why did you remove what you wrote?

Good tips
Sorry, mistake...here goes
🙂 watch 'status anxiety' by Alain du button(spell) and the N.D.E. of Dr eben Alexander , both on YouTube, can help some 🙏

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Sorry, mistake...here goes
🙂 watch 'status anxiety' by Alain du button(spell) and the N.D.E. of Dr eben Alexander , both on YouTube, can help some 🙏
Oh I thought it was the book. Thank God there's a video lol

sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Experienced
Dec 14, 2023
IME things like that can be used to your advantage because it's an excellent way to ward off assholes. If they have an issue with disabled people, you'll find out in an instant by telling them and won't end up waisting time and emotional involvement on them. It's like a little insurance.

• Love
Reactions: jar-baby, Crash_Bash_Dash, soulsing and 3 others
SuicidalOrganism

SuicidalOrganism

Experienced
May 31, 2023
Remote/Freelancing software development

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
IME things like that can be used to your advantage because it's an excellent way to ward off assholes. If they have an issue with disabled people, you'll find out in an instant by telling them and won't end up waisting time and emotional involvement on them. It's like a little insurance.
It seems everyone I've met then is an asshole lol
Remote/Freelancing software development
But then you need the money to back that claim up. Women would accept the answer and then expect dates, if they're interested, and then you have to figure out what to do since disability doesnt pay much.

K

Kavka

Jun 11, 2024
If you're interested in really getting to know someone with the possibility of building up a (romantic) relationship, I think it's best to not lie about it. Otherwise, someone might start to like a fake version of you and you'll have to own up to it eventually. This just seems like a waste of energy and setting everyone up for disappointment.

Although it's not always necessary to put all your cards on the table when you first meet someone. It's easier said than done, but maybe you can try to frame it in the most positive way. For example, "I'm working on some mental health issues first, but I'd really like to work in x or study y."

Or if that's not your ambition, maybe you could mention something you're interested in or are working on, e.g. "and in the meantime, I'm learning to play the piano / learning Esperanto / reading Ulysses."

I think it's better to focus on finding people that you're compatible with and who like you for who you are (and vice versa). It's not easy though to be honest and show your vulnerabilities and it's something I struggle with as well.

Reactions: Crash_Bash_Dash, DefinitelyReady and Ambivalent1
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
It's so upsetting how this matters so much, like it's not enough to be a good companion, you have to be a provider as well (even if you expect nothing in return). It sucks being looked at as an ATM.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
It's so upsetting how this matters so much, like it's not enough to be a good companion, you have to be a provider as well (even if you expect nothing in return). It sucks being looked at as an ATM.
Yes it is upsetting, especially since women work nowadays
If you're interested in really getting to know someone with the possibility of building up a (romantic) relationship, I think it's best to not lie about it. Otherwise, someone might start to like a fake version of you and you'll have to own up to it eventually. This just seems like a waste of energy and setting everyone up for disappointment.

Although it's not always necessary to put all your cards on the table when you first meet someone. It's easier said than done, but maybe you can try to frame it in the most positive way. For example, "I'm working on some mental health issues first, but I'd really like to work in x or study y."

Or if that's not your ambition, maybe you could mention something you're interested in or are working on, e.g. "and in the meantime, I'm learning to play the piano / learning Esperanto / reading Ulysses."

I think it's better to focus on finding people that you're compatible with and who like you for who you are (and vice versa). It's not easy though to be honest and show your vulnerabilities and it's something I struggle with as well.
Good advice 👍

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I'd keep it a bit lighthearted and not immediately jump into the gravity of the real issues you're facing. For example if you get a pet, you can call yourself a stay at home dad. Once you get to know the person a little more, you can open up over time and let them in at a level you feel is appropriate. Lots of people are on disability. It really shouldn't define you or make you feel any less about yourself.

Reactions: Ambivalent1 and KarmaBus
KarmaBus

KarmaBus

Student
Apr 15, 2023
Don't be ashamed of being on disability. They don't give that status out easily (at least in US) so you must have qualified properly. I think the right kind of woman would be accepting to something along the lines of…I had a career/studied (whatever you did previously) but it wasn't a good fit, so I'm currently taking a break to focus on maintaining my health while discovering my next move/something more meaningful/better suited to me.
Good luck 🍀

• Love
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
You manage a disability budget to help a disabled person

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Every woman rejects me when I tell them. I gain nothing from being direct about it.

I'd keep it a bit lighthearted and not immediately jump into the gravity of the real issues you're facing. For example if you get a pet, you can call yourself a stay at home dad. Once you get to know the person a little more, you can open up over time and let them in at a level you feel is appropriate. Lots of people are on disability. It really shouldn't define you or make you feel any less about yourself.
How about "I'm not working right now."? If they ask why, then say "it's complicated" and leave it at that?

cait_sith

cait_sith

Brain rotted, often missing word
Apr 8, 2024
"I work for the United Nations"
"Really?"
"Yes, I have been U.N.-employed for all of my adult life"

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Crash_Bash_Dash and Kavka
nightlygem

nightlygem

La Joya
Sep 27, 2023
my first thought was "I'm a stay-at-home mom" lol. just for shits and giggles.
my real advice is to just be honest. those who care about your job are probably just wanting to find someone who's "financially stable" so they can find someone to support their own poor choices. hard to find someone who isn't after the love and the money, but they're out there.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
my first thought was "I'm a stay-at-home mom" lol. just for shits and giggles.
my real advice is to just be honest. those who care about your job are probably just wanting to find someone who's "financially stable" so they can find someone to support their own poor choices. hard to find someone who isn't after the love and the money, but they're out there.
Or they want to build a life with someone and you not having a job throws a wrench into their dream.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
...did you read my comment? This seems like a misreply...
According to you, I'm sifting through people by being honest, but all women are being sifted out. That's not good and doesn't allow me to have what I want.

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I always tell . It will come out anyway

Reactions: jar-baby, Skathon and Ambivalent1
sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Experienced
Dec 14, 2023
According to you, I'm sifting through people by being honest, but all women are being sifted out. That's not good and doesn't allow me to have what I want.
Why would you want to be with someone who won't accept you for who you are though?

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I always tell . It will come out anyway
That's always been my thinking. You can't hide something like that for long, and then they discover you're a liar and you lose them anyway lol
Why would you want to be with someone who won't accept you for who you are though?
When that applies to every woman I've gone for, then I'm the one left unhappy and alone.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Find a foreign lady who desperately wants to immigrate to the USA and see if she'd be interested in a green card marriage. Depending on where she's from she might even be impressed that you get money for free from the government without having to do anything in return.

I thought of doing this too but I'm too lazy for it.