nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
Weird situation but hear me out.

I live with my ex but this was still a problem when we were together. Sometimes if I'm just walking past him, he'll grope my chest or grab my butt or something. I have to be careful of what I wear and how I sit to reduce the chances of him thinking to touch me. He gets upset sometimes if I say that I don't want to be touched. When I've tried to talk to him about it, he usually attacks my tone or says something to the effect of "what you want always changes. How am I supposed to know what it is today?" Or he just forgets. I've told him twice recently that I've been feeling a little edgy and flashback-y about being touched, and he nods and says it's alright but doesn't actually change his behavior.

I'm not touch-averse in general, I just don't want to be sexually touched and grabbed at without permission. I imagine a lot of people don't. He has no problem sticking his hand down my pants or up my shirt whenever he thinks to. It's actually a funny joke to him. He'll stop me in my tracks to reach around and grab my chest (arms wrapped around me so I can't move, which is incredibly uncomfortable and almost triggering for me) or if I'm washing dishes, he'll come up behind me and start rubbing his crotch against my back, all while laughing or making exaggerated moaning sounds. It's a joke. It's also a way for him to relieve or express his sexual urges, but he tries to pass it off as "I was just messing around" as if that makes a difference to me.

Making matters worse is that I have a history of being sexually abused in the home and he does a lot of the same stuff my abuser did. If I try to tell him this, sometimes he becomes offended that I would even compare him to that person. Again, usually my "tone" is wrong but I think the only answer that'll actually please him is to just let it happen. Even then, if I let him touch me and I freeze up or get tense, on the rare occasion he notices, he asks why I'm scowling or he'll just scoff or roll his eyes, let me go, and give a "God, sorry." Sometimes I have to just go into my room and cry, but I can't do it loudly or for too long or else he'll notice and ask what's wrong. I tell him "usual stuff" or "nothing new" because I know there's a decent chance he'll get mad if I say it's because of how he touched me.

Moving out isn't an option (ironically, the only other place I could go is my mother's house, where my original abuser still lives) and I don't think he's interested in sitting down and having a talk about it. It usually comes down to "I take such good care of you and this is how you repay me?" He doesn't really address what I say and usually falls back on saying that my tone, body language, or word usage was too harsh. "It's okay if you don't want to be touched just don't act like an ungrateful bitch about it." I live in his home and eat his food and use his water and I understand that doesn't put me in a position to be making demands, but I was hoping being here wouldn't mean waiving my right to give or refuse physical consent. If I'd known that was part of the deal beforehand, I don't think I would have moved in with him. So I guess this is an "Am I the asshole?" thing too.

I've been trying to recall what it was like when I was a kid and how I'd dissociate during the abuse then, but I'm apparently not nearly as good at it as I used to be. I do my best to zone out and think about other things or repeat mantras like "put up with it" or "it'll be over soon" in my head, but I still can't tolerate it very well. Sometimes if I squirm away he's okay with it or it's just part of the joke, but I never know if this is the time he'll get hurt and mad over it, so I try not to.

It feels fucking awful to know that nothing has really changed from when I was a child and once again, I'm just a prop someone uses to satisfy their sexual desires. I'm kind of gross and ugly so I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing as an adult, but apparently I don't even have to leave the house to be harassed and used by a man. If this is how little my wants and needs matter, that's just another reason I'd rather not be alive.

so idk I guess part of me is wondering if anyone who has any experience putting up with unpleasant physical sensations (sexual or otherwise) could talk about how they deal with it.

(phew this ended up a lot longer than I intended)

• Aww..
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Apathy's Girl, Circles, ascetic_ and 7 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
That sounds horrible. It seems like the boundaries of your co-existence aren't clearly defined, so you will probably have to sit down with him and talk about it irrespective of how he feels.

It doesn't matter whether he takes good care of you or not. If you don't want to be touched, that's the end of the matter. If he's aware that you're not comfortable with it, it's abuse/assault, plain and simple.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, Zzzzz, nerve and 6 others
odradek

odradek

Mage
Sep 16, 2021
I'm so sorry you have to live with this, it must be unbearable on top of being wrong and unfair.

I'm just going to be blunt here. What your ex is doing is wrong. He has no right to put his hands on you, especially if you've asked him not to. If it upsets him to compare him to your abuser I would keep doing that because he is being abusive. Maybe ask him why this upsets him so much and he might engage in some introspection, reconsider his actions.

You shouldn't have to deal with this given your history. One would hope he'd be more understanding. Stand your ground and set your boundaries because you are not the wrong one in this situation. I know how difficult that can be. I wish you a speedy resolution because no one should have to live like that.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, nerve, Circles and 4 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
If he is indeed you ex (that is- you DON'T have sex with him anymore, ever) he has no right to touch you.
I would talk. If he doesn't listen, I would yell. And if that don't work, I would slap him.

• Hugs
Reactions: nerve and Circles
AppleTreeDog

AppleTreeDog

Nov 20, 2021
If he is indeed you ex (that is- you DON'T have sex with him anymore, ever) he has no right to touch you.
I would talk. If he doesn't listen, I would yell. And if that don't work, I would slap him.

Just want to add onto this that even if you're dating or married or whatever kind of relationship you have, NO ONE has any right to touch you without your consent.

OP: What he's doing is not okay in any way. It doesn't matter that he "takes care of you" that doesn't make you obligated to endure his abuse. It makes it so much worse that he knows about your traumatic past and still does this — from this info I'd guess he wouldn't be responsive to a sit-down talk about it anyway, since he isn't acting like he cares about your feelings at all.

I'm so sorry you're going through this and are trapped in this living situation. I wish I could offer you advice on how to keep yourself safe from this guy. All I can do is just validate your feelings and hopefully convince you that in no way are you an asshole here. Your ex is absolutely being a sexually and emotionally abusive asshole.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: nerve, Josuyo, Circles and 3 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Just want to add onto this that even if you're dating or married or whatever kind of relationship you have, NO ONE has any right to touch you without your consent
Right. Agreed. I was merely saying that if a sexual relationship does exist, touching can be excused as a way of initiating sex. I'm coming off quite as insensitive here but it's true.
And irrelevant. Whatever the nature of the relationship, she should articulate her opinions on this matter as clearly as she can. And make it so that there's no excuse.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: nerve and AppleTreeDog
MeltedJello

MeltedJello

My brain is a liquid mess.
Aug 18, 2021
This is a really tough & messed up situation to be in, and I'm sorry you have to experience this quite often. That guy is an asshole imo, so I hope you can find a way to fight back & to get him to stop. Nothing I say can really help you, but I do wish you peace and hopefully better days.

• Hugs
Reactions: nerve and demuic
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Weird situation but hear me out.

I live with my ex but this was still a problem when we were together. Sometimes if I'm just walking past him, he'll grope my chest or grab my butt or something. I have to be careful of what I wear and how I sit to reduce the chances of him thinking to touch me. He gets upset sometimes if I say that I don't want to be touched. When I've tried to talk to him about it, he usually attacks my tone or says something to the effect of "what you want always changes. How am I supposed to know what it is today?" Or he just forgets. I've told him twice recently that I've been feeling a little edgy and flashback-y about being touched, and he nods and says it's alright but doesn't actually change his behavior.

I'm not touch-averse in general, I just don't want to be sexually touched and grabbed at without permission. I imagine a lot of people don't. He has no problem sticking his hand down my pants or up my shirt whenever he thinks to. It's actually a funny joke to him. He'll stop me in my tracks to reach around and grab my chest (arms wrapped around me so I can't move, which is incredibly uncomfortable and almost triggering for me) or if I'm washing dishes, he'll come up behind me and start rubbing his crotch against my back, all while laughing or making exaggerated moaning sounds. It's a joke. It's also a way for him to relieve or express his sexual urges, but he tries to pass it off as "I was just messing around" as if that makes a difference to me.

Making matters worse is that I have a history of being sexually abused in the home and he does a lot of the same stuff my abuser did. If I try to tell him this, sometimes he becomes offended that I would even compare him to that person. Again, usually my "tone" is wrong but I think the only answer that'll actually please him is to just let it happen. Even then, if I let him touch me and I freeze up or get tense, on the rare occasion he notices, he asks why I'm scowling or he'll just scoff or roll his eyes, let me go, and give a "God, sorry." Sometimes I have to just go into my room and cry, but I can't do it loudly or for too long or else he'll notice and ask what's wrong. I tell him "usual stuff" or "nothing new" because I know there's a decent chance he'll get mad if I say it's because of how he touched me.

Moving out isn't an option (ironically, the only other place I could go is my mother's house, where my original abuser still lives) and I don't think he's interested in sitting down and having a talk about it. It usually comes down to "I take such good care of you and this is how you repay me?" He doesn't really address what I say and usually falls back on saying that my tone, body language, or word usage was too harsh. "It's okay if you don't want to be touched just don't act like an ungrateful bitch about it." I live in his home and eat his food and use his water and I understand that doesn't put me in a position to be making demands, but I was hoping being here wouldn't mean waiving my right to give or refuse physical consent. If I'd known that was part of the deal beforehand, I don't think I would have moved in with him. So I guess this is an "Am I the asshole?" thing too.

I've been trying to recall what it was like when I was a kid and how I'd dissociate during the abuse then, but I'm apparently not nearly as good at it as I used to be. I do my best to zone out and think about other things or repeat mantras like "put up with it" or "it'll be over soon" in my head, but I still can't tolerate it very well. Sometimes if I squirm away he's okay with it or it's just part of the joke, but I never know if this is the time he'll get hurt and mad over it, so I try not to.

It feels fucking awful to know that nothing has really changed from when I was a child and once again, I'm just a prop someone uses to satisfy their sexual desires. I'm kind of gross and ugly so I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing as an adult, but apparently I don't even have to leave the house to be harassed and used by a man. If this is how little my wants and needs matter, that's just another reason I'd rather not be alive.

so idk I guess part of me is wondering if anyone who has any experience putting up with unpleasant physical sensations (sexual or otherwise) could talk about how they deal with it.

(phew this ended up a lot longer than I intended)
Unwanted touch is assault!

This is gaslighting when he says you're supposed to "accept it" or blames you for feeling angry/upset about his actions!

Your post sounds exactly like something I would write word for word.

People lie and say there's always "choices" or a "way out" but there isn't!

Disassociating from the body by disappearing in your head still isn't an escape. This is the cruelty of existence itself.

• Hugs
Reactions: nerve, Josuyo, Circles and 3 others
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
It is a tough situation. We can discuss wrong or right all day, but the reality is if he isn't willing to listen to and respect your wishes (I assume you have had a nice detailed discussion with him) then you do need to start seeking other living arrangements. Sure you could slap him, yell at him, call the cops and such, but do you feel any of that will improve the situation or environment? Do you think enduring it is going to be sustainable or healthy? I don't have the wisdom or knowledge to give you a grand answer or solution. There may be churches in your area willing to assist for a while, other government programs or female roommates you can find to move in with. Everything points towards leaving, in my mind. Try your best to look at your options and resources available in your area.

• Hugs
Reactions: nerve
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
We don't actually know this guy but the way you describe his reaction to your protests, combined with his touching, makes it seem like he just lacks respect and decency towards others. A healthy reaction is to apologize and stop doing the behavior when someone explicitly says they don't consent. His reaction to make it an attack on him when you brought up past abuse makes him sound very unwell. This word gets overused in this age of mental health awareness, but I'd even call it narcissistic of him.

I'm sorry you're living like this. I hope you find a way to live somewhere else eventually.

• Hugs
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
Sorry you're in this awful situation. Is there any possibility of going to a refuge for people experiencing domestic abuse? Apologies if this is not a welcome suggestion. And maybe not a viable one either.

• Hugs
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Sorry you're in this awful situation. Is there any possibility of going to a refuge for people experiencing domestic abuse? Apologies if this is not a welcome suggestion. And maybe not a viable one either.
Unfortunately most services are already full.

ascetic_

ascetic_

Metaphysically Homeless
Aug 28, 2021
I live in his home and eat his food and use his water and I understand that doesn't put me in a position to be making demands, but I was hoping being here wouldn't mean waiving my right to give or refuse physical consent.
Exactly. Just because someone is doing you a favor does not give them to right to pursue you sexually. That's insane.

This guy is an abuser himself, and taking full advantage of your current predicament.

Are you working at all? It'll get you out of the house during the day (or night) and on your way to getting a place of your own.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic and nerve
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Get a taser and fry that guy or anyone else doing the same.

• Hugs
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
Thank you all for your input :,) I got spooked by all the notifications and had to step away from the site for the weekend so please don't think I was ignoring you or didn't care that you took the time to reply because I really do!! Sometimes I forget just how fucked up this situation is so it's a massive relief to have people tell me that I'm not crazy and this isn't right.

Just to clarify maybe (and I promise I'm just trying to paint an objective picture here and not be overly negative): I've basically accepted I'm going to die here. I'm on disability for a few health conditions so I do have an income, just not nearly enough to live on my own. These health issues make driving not an option, I live in a rural area with no public transportation, and I don't know anyone here. I've talked with the women's shelter here a few times and I could always call them again, but I just don't really care enough. I've been let down by too many systems/people/organizations to actually trust these people when they say they'll help. I'm in the local mental health system and whenever I ask my case worker about help getting out of this situation, she kind of shrugs and tells me it's a rural county and there aren't many resources. Staying here with my ex is absolutely 100% a choice I've voluntarily made. I have other options. None of them are great, but they exist. My main concern here is keeping a permanent address (so I can have my ctb stuff shipped to me) and having a relatively safe, quiet, warm place to vegetate and rot until I ctb.

I know he doesn't care. I know nothing I say or do will make him examine his actions. I know his ego is more important to him than my safety or comfort. I know he has narcissistic traits he'll probably never address. I know that if I retaliate physically, he'll just hit me or choke me or smother me with his body weight or whatever he feels like doing that day. I know this is just going to get worse and he's probably going to kill me if I don't get around to it first. It's not fair, but it's my reality. If I just keep my head down and don't complain too much and put up with him touching me, I'm good.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: odradek, rationaltake, MeltedJello and 2 others
AppleTreeDog

AppleTreeDog

Nov 20, 2021
Thank you all for your input :,) I got spooked by all the notifications and had to step away from the site for the weekend so please don't think I was ignoring you or didn't care that you took the time to reply because I really do!! Sometimes I forget just how fucked up this situation is so it's a massive relief to have people tell me that I'm not crazy and this isn't right.

Just to clarify maybe (and I promise I'm just trying to paint an objective picture here and not be overly negative): I've basically accepted I'm going to die here. I'm on disability for a few health conditions so I do have an income, just not nearly enough to live on my own. These health issues make driving not an option, I live in a rural area with no public transportation, and I don't know anyone here. I've talked with the women's shelter here a few times and I could always call them again, but I just don't really care enough. I've been let down by too many systems/people/organizations to actually trust these people when they say they'll help. I'm in the local mental health system and whenever I ask my case worker about help getting out of this situation, she kind of shrugs and tells me it's a rural county and there aren't many resources. Staying here with my ex is absolutely 100% a choice I've voluntarily made. I have other options. None of them are great, but they exist. My main concern here is keeping a permanent address (so I can have my ctb stuff shipped to me) and having a relatively safe, quiet, warm place to vegetate and rot until I ctb.

I know he doesn't care. I know nothing I say or do will make him examine his actions. I know his ego is more important to him than my safety or comfort. I know he has narcissistic traits he'll probably never address. I know that if I retaliate physically, he'll just hit me or choke me or smother me with his body weight or whatever he feels like doing that day. I know this is just going to get worse and he's probably going to kill me if I don't get around to it first. It's not fair, but it's my reality. If I just keep my head down and don't complain too much and put up with him touching me, I'm good.

I'm so sorry to hear how you're stuck in your situation and how much the systems/organizations meant to help have let you down. I honestly wish for a better life for you but I can completely understand why you choose to stay. I'm glad at least this thread could offer a bit of relief that you're not crazy and I believe that you deserve so much better. I'd been thinking about you so it's really nice to hear your reply đź–¤

• Hugs
Reactions: odradek and rationaltake