• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

Jojogu

Feb 2, 2021
An inquest has been held into the tragic death of Hollie Tennent as her family criticised the care she received

A young Hull woman took her own life just over a week after she was discharged from the mental health crisis team, an inquest has heard.

Hollie Tennent had significant mental health problems and had previously attempted suicide four times from June 2022 until she tragically took her life aged just 20 on August 22 last year.

Her family previously spoke out, saying they feel more could have been done to help her. More details of the care Hollie received were heard at the inquest.

In a statement read out at the inquest in Hull, Hollie's mum Joanne Tennent said: "I feel angry and upset Hollie didn't get the support she needed from the mental health team. There was no consistency in her treatment and it wasn't working for her."

Joanne said her daughter was an independent child. She was very active and took part in gymnastics, dancing and swimming. She also fell in love with horse riding and took part in competitions while she was also a talented singer.

Hollie had no mental health issues growing up but, after taking on an apprenticeship at a leisure centre she began to suffer anxiety.

She wanted to go to university to study to become a paramedic but she began to struggle with her mental health and lost confidence. She worked for a while as a healthcare assistant but was not entirely happy in her work.

She began taking medication for her anxiety but her family noticed a change in behaviour and she sometimes made irrational decisions. Her mental health suffered a further setback when she broke up with her boyfriend in April 2022.

In June Hollie made an attempt on her own life and was referred to the mental health assessment team and then to the Let's Talk service. She was eventually placed in the care of the home-based crisis team which is one level below being sectioned after attempting to take her life again on July 14.

Just a week later Hollie became very distressed and wanted to leave the house, Her mum rang the crisis team but they said they should let her leave. Hollie did leave and was found the next day drunk and apparently having made another attempt to take her own life.

Hollie's family were very critical of the service. They felt she was unable to strike up a rapport as she dealt with different staff members each time.

In her statement, mum Joanne said: "Hollie felt let down by the team and did not feel they cared enough. She did not have faith in the team and felt it was all just a box ticking exercise.

"The staff were different each time. She was made to feel like she was not trying hard enough to get well and it made her feel like a failure."

Hollie remained with the crisis team but made a further attempt on her life on August 9. Despite this, Hollie was discharged from the crisis team just five days later on August 14. Her medication was changed and she was referred to the community mental health team.

In the days before her death Hollie seemed to be improving but she was found at a relative's home in Sproatley, where she had been staying for the weekend, lifeless in the bedroom on August 22.

A postmortem examination confirmed Hollie had died due to hanging and toxicology results found there was no alcohol and only therapeutic levels of prescribed medication in her system.

Mental health nurse and senior clinical lead Sian Johnson, who works for the Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust, outlined and explained the treatment Hollie received.

She had no direct role in Hollie's care but has been tasked with looking into the case and seeing what lessons can be learned. She told the inquest improvements have been made within the crisis team following Hollie's death and a few other cases.

She said: "The home-based crisis team is only there for intensive support for a short period of time to help people through a particular crisis.

"But we recognise that people aren't seeing the same staff member each time. They work shifts so cannot necessarily see the same each time. We appreciate this means the person can be retelling the same story each time.

"We understand staff need to create relationships with patients. We are now looking to achieve some level of consistency to try and ensure they can see the same staff member as much as possible. But it can be difficult as we cover such a large geographical area."

Assistant coroner Sarah Middleton questioned Ms Johnson over why Hollie was not sectioned when she was found drunk on July 21 having apparently attempted to take her own life and having done two previous times recently.

Ms Johnson said the police found Hollie and did not feel the need to detain her under their own emergency powers. She said the use of such powers can be very distressing and it can be better to ensure the person has some control over their own life.

However, Hollie's condition did escalate and she was eventually taken to Miranda House. She was assessed and monitored at the Avondale ward. Her medication was changed which seemed to improve her sleeping pattern.

Hollie made a further attempt on her life on August 9 and told mental health staff she could not explain why she had done it. However, just five days later she was discharged from the crisis team.

Ms Johnson said: "There are always ups and downs in mental health. The crisis team never keeps people for long, usually between three to six weeks. If we kept everyone we would be overwhelmed and collapse. I do accept Hollie's discharge from the crisis team could have been softer and not so sudden."

Questions were also raised over whether Hollie's apparent improvement in the days before she died may have been down to the fact she had made the decision to take her own life.

But Ms Johnson said: "It is difficult to predict when someone may take their own life. Sometimes people do put their affairs in order but it is not always so obvious. When we see people improve we tend to accept they are actually improving.

"I am here to make the service better and I will identify any lessons we can learn. I would urge any family members who want to be involved in this process to get in touch."

Hollie's family previously paid tribute to her. Mum Joanne told BBC Look North in January: "Hollie was such a fun-loving person. From a very young age, she enjoyed singing, dancing and taking part in activities with her friends."

Her older sister, Alicia Tennent, also recalled Hollie as being spirited and full of fun. "She always wanted to come out with me and my friends when she wasn't even allowed to go out. She was pinching my clothes and things like that, just as younger sisters do."

In January, Hollie's loved ones came together to hold a 24-hour netball game at Waudby Centre in east Hull to raise money for MIND and Dove House Hospice.

Assistant Coroner Mrs Middleton will deliver her findings of fact and conclusion next week

Hull Live

アホペンギン

アホペンギン

I told you.
Jul 10, 2023
Its sad how the mental healthcare system fails people in such a way, Hollie seemed like she was a very delightful person to be around, I feel sorry for her family.

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
had significant mental health problems and had previously attempted suicide four times

Her family previously spoke out, saying they feel more could have been done to help her.

This is incredibly sad but after four previous attempts, I'm not sure what sort of help can be offered at that point. Once you've cycled through the gamut of medications available, then cookie cutter therapies, and nothing works, you're deemed treatment resistant and no further help is really put forward because the staff aren't sure what to do. There really is a lack of understanding when it comes to long-term suicidal people's problems.

It seems like she had made her mind up quite a long time ago as nothing was improving her condition. As mentioned in the article, the mental health system revolves around temporary crises- sections and acute crisis teams, it's in the name- and is not fit for chronic or long term issues. Yet, can we really assign blame or have these constant inquests when the person in question has been determined to ctb for long periods of time, with multiple failed attempts (which is the highest predictor of a person going through with it in the future)

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's sad but obviously nobody could eliminate the true reasons why Hollie wanted to die. At least she is relieved from her suffering and hopefully she found peace!

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
She's finally at peace, she's lucky.

I think it extremely unfair to blame medical staff all the time like these reports and the media do.

Once someone wants to CTB, you can't do anything except lock up or pump full of pills. Neither option anyone wants.

We cannot be helped, but I guess a lot of people think they want help.

The media should be honest and just yell people there is no help, bit it's not the fault of the doctors and nurses, it's because there is literally nothing they can do.

T

Tulip<3

Student
Aug 16, 2023
Rest in peace Hollie. I am sorry to her loved ones who are grieving her loss, I know they must be heartbroken.

I also hope Hollie is at peace now, and free from her pain. Clearly she was in significant, long-term distress and that is very hard to live with. Some people choose to keep living and find meaning, others choose to go and as much as I wish everyone could be happy and free from pain, that's not the reality for some.

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
A badly injured or sick animal would get better treatment than many of these people.

If you're a human and you can't be fixed, you just get abandoned and ignored in many cases. Forced to take your own life, while terrified and alone… just another statistic in a cruel uncaring society!

dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
Its like she went thru something traumatic but can't remember exactly what. An example would be given a roofie and getting raped. When the victim wakes up, he or she can't intellectually remember what happened but they can feel something terrible happened. The stress can unhinge some people as they vacillate between denial, grief, never being sure etc.

sorrowful

sorrowful

My exhaustion knows no end
Feb 13, 2023
Treatment does not always work for people. I hope that she is at peace now.

Unattainable666

Unattainable666

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2023
I live in the US in a state where mental health is a joke. It is impossible to find a decent therapist either online or in person (I've tried both). The folflowing is a list of my experiences here: (1) I went online to find a therapist - she was probably in her early 20s, no real experience, had a child who constantly interrupted our sessions. Then one day I was online waiting for her and she never came on - later that night she sent me an email telling me her child was sick and she couldn't get on (little late for that). (2) I found another therapist who spoke to me for less than 3 minutes and told me "You need to be inpatient." WTF!!!!! You've spoken to me for 3 minutes and come up with that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My anxiety went off the chart (she made my mental health so much worse) - I would lose my job, my apartment, my cat. I told her what I thought of her (yes I left no word out). (3) I found another therapist who I saw in person for about 4 months. I thought things were going pretty well ... until ... she asked me what would push me "over the edge." I told her if I lost my cat or my job. About a month after this, I lost my job. I called her for 5 days, left messages, begged to talk to her. Nothing - not even fucking crickets. So I filed a grievance against her with the State. The stat I live in is run by a bunch of ignorant bastards who are worthless and need to be well anyway So this part of the government (let's call them the assholes - no wait an asshole has a purpose these idiots have no purpose - so okay lets call them worthless . They never called me I had to call them constantly to get a response on what was happening. Finally a hearing was set up - I was NOT allowed to attend nor give testimony. It was just this idiiot therapist and the state. So they found that she had done nothing wrong Seriously??????????????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was devastated. There is no way in hell I would ever waste my money to se ea therapist again. NEVER All they want is your money they don't give a shit as to whether you get better or not . Oh, btw this all happened within a year.

P

pinemarten

Aug 18, 2023
In her statement, mum Joanne said: "Hollie felt let down by the team and did not feel they cared enough. She did not have faith in the team and felt it was all just a box ticking exercise.

My sentiments exactly regarding all NHS mental health care, at all levels, across all practitioners. They are obliged to have "mental health services" in place because of the millions suffering under the weight of severe suffering, but the practices themselves are nothing but lip service.

Fundamentally I don't believe even with infinite money there would be enough resources to provide an adequate service. The NHS cannot prescribe patients someone who genuinely cares about them. They can't prescribe surrogates to fill the absence of loving parents, caring friends or romantic partners. And they never will be able to. No matter how many times you get passed from pillar to post, no matter how many different referrals and waiting lists you endure, there is no secret "top-tier" with the actual care waiting for you. Not as a detained suicidal inpatient. Not as a "stable" outpatient. It's just another 50 minute appointment with someone who doesn't give a shit. Not because they're a bad person but because it's human nature, it's their job and they have their own life to be getting on with without making room in their heart and mind for every mentally-ill patient that appears before them. The problem is too big, too wide in scope, for human society as it stands.

Perhaps the most irritating part of all this is that the people in your life who haven't been through the rigamarole of mental health "care" actually do fully buy-in to the idea that these mental health services work. So there is no end to the nagging and suggesting that you "keep trying" and keep going back to square one with the GP to be referred to the care-in-the-community people for more of the same garbage then perhaps another referral up the tree to be seen by some psychiatrist or psychologist in another 18 months for more of their garbage too.

It's terrible that a young person had to die this way, that their life went so wrong that this is where it ended. I hope her parents don't think for a second that their daughter didn't try because it sounds for all the world like she did. These services are just a joke.

jussrav

jussrav

Experienced
Sep 9, 2023
Rest in peace Hollie. I am sorry to her loved ones who are grieving her loss, I know they must be heartbroken.

I also hope Hollie is at peace now, and free from her pain. Clearly she was in significant, long-term distress and that is very hard to live with. Some people choose to keep living and find meaning, others choose to go and as much as I wish everyone could be happy and free from pain, that's not the reality for some.
You are right the suffering just continues with no end in sight. Once you get yourself into a low position then I dont think there is any getting out.

Reactions: hopeisdead