H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
I have a question. Who first coined the term "catch the bus"? And why not "catch the train" or "catch the flight" or just "checking out"? I'm really curious about the history of the term. Thank you.

Reactions: nw7, TheDevilsAngel, Readytogo#Broken and 1 other person
Rhyme

Rhyme

Sleep now and carry on into the black of the night
Jan 18, 2020
I've also heard it called "Cease To Breathe" so that could have something to do with it.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel, Despondent, Sensei and 1 other person
H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
I've also heard it called "Cease To Breathe" so that could have something to do with it.
Interesting. Perhaps the moderators can answer this.

Reactions: TheDevilsAngel
B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
Might be from alt.suicide.holiday, a spiritual successor to SS:

The community has developed its own unique terminology. "Catch the bus" refers to the act of suicide, and the group is described as:

A bus stop where several people have decided to stop and chat before deciding on whether or not to get on the bus. Wikipedia

• Love
Reactions: ithappens, PDAnnie2610, gtrfvr and 12 others
H

HopeDiesLast

self-banned
Dec 28, 2019
I find the term really odd and non-sensical
A bus is a vehicle of mass transportation. And suicide is typically a solitary activity. It's not like we're all taking a party bus together to our final destination (although that does sound like a lot of fun)

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts, TheDevilsAngel, Despondent and 5 others
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
One of the old users here (who is no longer here) actually mentioned that "getting off the train" would be a better phrase than "catching the bus"

Reactions: charlottewilts, TheDevilsAngel, Defenestrator and 4 others
ThatIsTheQuestion

ThatIsTheQuestion

Ghost in Waiting
Aug 4, 2019
Might be from alt.suicide.holiday, a spiritual successor to SS:
It is. ASH was a Usenet board from the early 90s, before the web existed, and a lot of SS concepts date back to them. Some of the language around here is even completely pre-Internet. Like, actual books.

Reactions: Quarky00 and Sensei
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
A bus is a vehicle of mass transportation. And suicide is typically a solitary activity. It's not like we're all taking a party bus together to our final destination (although that does sound like a lot of fun)

It's only nonsensical if you don't know the history of that phrase. To my knowledge it refers to the sense of community of the original ASH newsgroup: it's not so much the bus analogy that is important but the bus stop where people wait for their bus to come. Given that more people take the bus or at least plan on doing so (of course the analogy is not perfect: obviously not many people actually got a real bus stop to contemplate whether or not to actually take the bus) a number of people will usually gather at a bus stop waiting for their bus to arrive. They might even interact with one-another, basically what we're doing here.

Suicide is usually a solitary activity yes (obviously suicide pacts do exist) but this forum and its predecessors do provide a community to those who contemplate suicide, i.e. 'catching the bus'.

On a global or even nationwide scale suicide is a mass phenomenon: according to the UN over 800.000 people kill themselves every year.

• Love
Reactions: gtrfvr, NaNo210, charlottewilts and 4 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I've always read it as 'cease to be' despite knowing it was 'catch the bus'. But we have a lot of acronyms on this site, maybe its a safety thing.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
ASH euphemism = holiday

You "catch the bus" to go on "holiday", we wish you "safe travels" :)

We come every day to the bus stop (SS) , some leave , others remain ..

Yes, some of us are in limbo. Like myself. Forever waiting for Godot, suspended in a state of absurdity.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bonkers, PDAnnie2610, NoDream and 1 other person
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Sorry, I was inaccurate (re-reading ASH files) –
set up in early 1988 to discuss why suicides increase during the holiday seasons; this topic however, quickly ran thin.

Indeed a metaphor for a waiting room (@Epsilon0), after a long journey decided to travel faraway –
a.s.h. is sort of like Death's Bus Stop.

We're all sitting around, waiting for the bus, shooting the shit. Eventually, we all intend to get on (occasionally, one of us does), although it's not exactly an easy thing to do, for various reasons. So while we're waiting, we discuss ways to make it easier, among other things.

But here's the deal: this newsgroup is for people who have already decided that, at some point, we are gonna GET ON THAT BUS. We're not the least bit interested in being talked into getting up off the bench and going home. And we don't care if that seems sad, or pathetic, or whatever.

Reactions: Epsilon0
Roger

Roger

I Liked Ike
May 11, 2019
I have a question. Who first coined the term "catch the bus"? And why not "catch the train" or "catch the flight" or just "checking out"? I'm really curious about the history of the term. Thank you.

The origin, usages, development and corruption of slang words and phrases has been one of my interests for many years.

The term "missed the bus" has been used to refer to failure for at least 80 years. The British Prime Minister at the beginning of WW2, Neville Chamberlain, seemed fond of the term, having used it in private letters in 1938, and in speeches in 1940. "Hitler has missed the bus" he opined, referring to the failure of the Nazis to exploit their military advantages in the late 1930s. Whether he was the original source, or whether he was using a term already current is hard to say, but offhand I know of no earlier recorded example of it being used.

After the German invasion and occupation of Norway, when German forces decisively trounced the British and French armies the phrase came back to haunt him, and in a May 1940 speech in the House of Commons he was taunted with it by Opposition MPs. When the Leader of the Opposition, Clement Attlee stood to make his reply to the Prime Minister's statement, he said something like, "The Prime Minister has talked about Hitler missing the bus. But he and his Ministers have missed all the busses since 1931. They missed all the peace busses, but caught the war bus." (Caveat: I may not have the exact words.)

So at this stage (7 May 1940) we have the term "catching the bus" as a euphemism for success, verified by Hansard, the British Parliamentary official record of proceedings in Parliament.

Naturally, in the normal manner of the development of vernacular language, the terms "missing/catching the bus" became regular slang usage for failure/success. At some point somebody has used it in the context of succeeding in an attempt at suicide, and, well, it's caught on here.

Reactions: Gnip, Kira, charlottewilts and 2 others
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
Lol! I'll bring the coolaid, all we need is some cyanide and some benzos! Yikes! My sense of humour is obviously gotten quite dark today.

• Hugs
Reactions: gtrfvr, Jean Améry and Quarky00
C

ctbUniquectb

Pariah
Jan 7, 2020
I've always read it as 'cease to be' despite knowing it was 'catch the bus'. But we have a lot of acronyms on this site, maybe its a safety thing.
there's also close the book, better stated as close the books for those with business backgrounds. I'm a big big fan of this version since most of us aren't just taking a hop from lover's leap. There are things to do before you final confirmation of matching debits and credits on the balance sheet

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and BPD Barbie
H

hadenough

Student
Aug 24, 2019
I heard it comes from Beachy Head, where people would "catch the bus" from town to the cliff tops/

WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Nov 4, 2019
ASH euphemism = holiday

You "catch the bus" to go on "holiday", we wish you "safe travels" :)

We come every day to the bus stop (SS) , some leave , others remain ..

"In reality: I won't be "catching" some bus, but more accurately I will in fact get off the train (at a subjective reference frame of choice). The train of which has been in ceaseless motion & decay along a path to its final destination (death), ever since the very beginning of my ephemeral & finite Homo sapiens experience."

• Love
Reactions: Quarky00
Thereisnothing

Thereisnothing

Enlightened
Jan 4, 2020
I assumed along the lines of it being called catch the bus, as suicide is a journey I suppose, like you get on a bus to go somewhere. Always feels its a little silly phrase for it mind.

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
@WhyIsLife56 , well said.
I feel the same, but more like derailing the train to crash.

• Hugs
Reactions: WhyIsLife56
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Nov 4, 2019
@WhyIsLife56 , well said.
I feel the same, but more like derailing the train to crash.
It was someone else's quote not mine, which I agree to. I'm glad I found the quote in time :)

• Hugs
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
Well I just look at it as going on a new adventure. So you are catching a bus to take you on a new magical mystery tour (which involves a bus, so.......)

Reactions: Jean Améry
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
The origin, usages, development and corruption of slang words and phrases has been one of my interests for many years.

The term "missed the bus" has been used to refer to failure for at least 80 years. The British Prime Minister at the beginning of WW2, Neville Chamberlain, seemed fond of the term, having used it in private letters in 1938, and in speeches in 1940. "Hitler has missed the bus" he opined, referring to the failure of the Nazis to exploit their military advantages in the late 1930s. Whether he was the original source, or whether he was using a term already current is hard to say, but offhand I know of no earlier recorded example of it being used.

After the German invasion and occupation of Norway, when German forces decisively trounced the British and French armies the phrase came back to haunt him, and in a May 1940 speech in the House of Commons he was taunted with it by Opposition MPs. When the Leader of the Opposition, Clement Attlee stood to make his reply to the Prime Minister's statement, he said something like, "The Prime Minister has talked about Hitler missing the bus. But he and his Ministers have missed all the busses since 1931. They missed all the peace busses, but caught the war bus." (Caveat: I may not have the exact words.)

So at this stage (7 May 1940) we have the term "catching the bus" as a euphemism for success, verified by Hansard, the British Parliamentary official record of proceedings in Parliament.

Naturally, in the normal manner of the development of vernacular language, the terms "missing/catching the bus" became regular slang usage for failure/success. At some point somebody has used it in the context of succeeding in an attempt at suicide, and, well, it's caught on here.

Interesting explanation. Thanks.

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
I did look into the saying and indeed did find the same explanation as Hadenough. Eastbourne is the nearest town to Beachy Head and loners were labelled as "catching their bus" when seen waiting for the local bus out to Beachy Head which has long been a favourite place for people to jump to their deaths from the cliffs there.

Reactions: Kira, NaNo210, charlottewilts and 2 others
Merith

Merith

Oct 24, 2019
I always thought it meant "cross the bridge"; as in the "bridge between the earth and the afterlife, lol

• Wow
Reactions: jgm63
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I always thought it meant "cross the bridge"; as in the "bridge between the earth and the afterlife, lol
I gave you a "false" WOW ! response there, just for dramatic effect :sunglasses: :heart:
No offence meant, just a bit of fun..... :sunglasses:

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Somewhere on this website is another actual reason listed it was about a movie about suicide and the actor in the movie was deliberating each day whether or not to catch the bus. Oh it was an actual bus possibly lead to a jumping location, there is even a poster for the movie in that thread. I can't find it now but it was an old thread.