deleted

deleted

Wizard
Jul 31, 2020
I've been doing 150 push-ups every day in 6 different ways, diamond style, military, open, closed, with my feet on a bench, clenched fist, and a few squats, abdominal. But I bought a bar to put on my door, and I'm thinking about buying 10kg washers. What do you recommend? My body is ectomorph it's a sacrifice to gain weight, I'm currently 60kg but I'm better than before for sure
(Sorry for some translation errors)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: aSilentVoice, Spiked_Coffee, cassxtho and 3 others
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
I used to do it, but the fact that you have to have a high-protein diet in order to see results was a huge turn-off for me, as I'm too lazy too cook and would rather eat based on convenience, instead of based on protein targets that make me waste my time in the kitchen.

with that said, though, when it comes to recommendations, I'm a fan of the Kettlebell Swing. I still think it is one of the best exercises on Earth.

200.gif

this movement is highly technical and the person needs to know what they are doing.
the guy on the gif is not using his shoulders or arms to lift the weight. instead, it's the firing of the glutes and hamstrings together that push the weight up. his abs also contract at the end of the movement.
it's a posterior chain exercise. in a society in which we do so many things in front of us (computer, phone, study, work), the posterior chain often gets neglected, and some exercises (like push ups and bench press) can even make our posture worse. the Swing, on the other hand, tends to improve people's posture drastically. it's also about conditioning, there's a cardio aspect to it. the way we breath while we're doing it is very important. being good at the swing and doing it often can "transfer" and improve one's performance in other unrelated activities, like soccer, cycling and even sex.

to do the swing, usually people use a kettlebell of a weigth between 18 and 35kg, but I've seen people doing it with a 100kg (220 pound) kettlebell.

it's a great exercise.
if I'd recommend anything, would be the Kettlebell Swing, the Turkish Get Up (TGU), Deadlifts, Goblet Squats, Nordic Curls, Bulgarian Split Squats, Glute Bridges, Pull Ups and some form of Rowing with barbells or Face Pulls with bands.

I also don't see any reason to do more than 30 push ups. if you can do that much, it's because the variation you're using is not challenge enough for you. switching to a harder variation or adding a weight vest can be more effetive than increasing the number of repetitions. hypertrophy exercises are usually done in a rep range between 4 and 30. if you done more than 30 reps and you still haven't reached failure, the weight is too light or the exercise is too easy. not to mention that the training itself actually damages the muscle (temporarily), and we grow while we rest, not while we're doing it.

take a look at the Minimalist's strength workout in this link:
you can also find this workout's translation to portuguese by clicking here.

I also recommend Greg Brookes' free book, youtube channel and free Android app (if you have a kettlebell, obviously).

the kettlebell swing:

Last edited:
Reactions: Laivirt, AscendedBeing, chloramine and 1 other person
Life.Journey.Unknown

Life.Journey.Unknown

I'm not strong enough for life.
Feb 24, 2020
I've been doing 150 push-ups every day in 6 different ways, diamond style, military, open, closed, with my feet on a bench, clenched fist, and a few squats, abdominal. But I bought a bar to put on my door, and I'm thinking about buying 10kg washers. What do you recommend? My body is ectomorph it's a sacrifice to gain weight, I'm currently 60kg but I'm better than before for sure
Yes I do weight training at home. I made my own equipment. I used plastic milk bottles filled with cement mix. It works really well.
Sounds like you're doing well with your bodyweight only exercises. Have you tried doing them slower? Like 5 seconds down, 5 seconds up? That will increase time under tension and build muscle.

Reactions: aSilentVoice, chloramine and deleted
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I used to have a home bench press set-up many years ago. I weigh as little as 55 kgs with no exercise and found myself wanting to hide away as much as possible. Results weren't great and I eventually gave up.

More recently, someone talked me into going to a local gym which happens to have a nonjudgemental atmosphere. I've followed a routine recommended by a personal trainer there and would go every day except for work. I'm spending a lot more money on food, but it's worth it.

The advantage of a proper gym is not only the variety of machines but also the social aspect, sometimes meeting new people, and being held accountable for maintaining progress long-term. My sole goal is to never give up so long as I am alive. This is what has worked for me; your mileage may vary.

Reactions: aSilentVoice, chloramine, AscendedBeing and 1 other person
C

cooldude420

Student
Aug 8, 2021
You can get very far with just bodyweight. Start looking through youtube and start thinking about some gymnastic movements.

Reactions: aSilentVoice and deleted
E

eve2004

DEAD YESTERDAY
Aug 17, 2019
I used to do it, but the fact that you have to have a high-protein diet in order to see results was a huge turn-off for me, as I'm too lazy too cook and would rather eat based on convenience, instead of based on protein targets that make me waste my time in the kitchen.

with that said, though, when it comes to recommendations, I'm a fan of the Kettlebell Swing. I still think it is one of the best exercises on Earth.

200.gif

this movement is highly technical and the person needs to know what they are doing.
the guy on the gif is not using his shoulders or arms to lift the weight. instead, it's the firing of the glutes and hamstrings together that push the weight up. his abs also contract at the end of the movement.
it's a posterior chain exercise. in a society in which we do so many things in front of us (computer, phone, study, work), the posterior chain often gets neglected, and some exercises (like push ups and bench press) can even make our posture worse. the Swing, on the other hand, tends to improve people's posture drastically. it's also about conditioning, there's a cardio aspect to it. the way we breath while we're doing it is very important. being good at the swing and doing it often can "transfer" and improve one's performance in other unrelated activities, like soccer, cycling and even sex.

to do the swing, usually people use a kettlebell of a weigth between 18 and 35kg, but I've seen people doing it with a 100kg (220 pound) kettlebell.

it's a great exercise.
if I'd recommend anything, would be the Kettlebell Swing, the Turkish Get Up (TGU), Deadlifts, Goblet Squats, Nordic Curls, Bulgarian Split Squats, Glute Bridges, Pull Ups and some form of Rowing with barbells or Face Pulls with bands.

I also don't see any reason to do more than 30 push ups. if you can do that much, it's because the variation you're using is not challenge enough for you. switching to a harder variation or adding a weight vest can be more effetive than increasing the number of repetitions. hypertrophy exercises are usually done in a rep range between 4 and 30. if you done more than 30 reps and you still haven't reached failure, the weight is too light or the exercise is too easy. not to mention that the training itself actually damages the muscle (temporarily), and we grow while we rest, not while we're doing it.

take a look at the Minimalist's strength workout in this link:
you can also find this workout's translation to portuguese by clicking here.

I also recommend Greg Brookes' free book, youtube channel and free Android app (if you have a kettlebell, obviously).

the kettlebell swing:
View attachment 95074

I see your point about 30 push-ups being enough, but doing 150 is far more mentally distracting than a quick 30... Weighted push-ups and weighted chin-ups/pull-ups are good for in the gym but some of us are not going to the gym anymore... Weight vests don't work for everyone, especially not for people with short arms!! Plates are ideal if you have but most do not. A lot of parks now have simple "work out" equipment for adults now.

You don't need to eat a high protein diet. I was pretty strong on a low protein (laziness) vegan diet.

Last edited:
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
You don't need to eat a high protein diet. I was pretty strong on a low protein (laziness) vegan diet.
I believe that you were strong. in olympics we see a lot of athetles that are thin and super strong at the same time. strength and hypertrophy (size) are different things.

hypertrophy has to do with the muscle growing in size. for that, we need some protein. protein is basically nitrogen and some other minerals, we have to get that from our food, as our body can't make it and it won't take it away from other tissues to make the muscle grow.

basically, if your muscle is really growing, it's because you are eating enough protein.

although the swelling (pump) that we get from the training can last for many days, making it hard to know if the muscle is actually growing.

Reactions: aSilentVoice
E

eve2004

DEAD YESTERDAY
Aug 17, 2019
I believe that you were strong. in olympics we see a lot of athetles that are thin and super strong at the same time. strength and hypertrophy (size) are different things.

hypertrophy has to do with the muscle growing in size. for that, we need some protein. protein is basically nitrogen and some other minerals, we have to get that from our food, as our body can't make it and it won't take it away from other tissues to make the muscle grow.

basically, if your muscle is really growing, it's because you are eating enough protein.

although the swelling (pump) that we get from the training can last for many days, making it hard to know if the muscle is actually growing.
I was not skinny! I built muscle mass on a protein-poor vegan diet. I really think you can build muscle mass without the daily recommended amount of protein, if you're getting enough overall calories. You need to both do regular strength training and eat enough calories. I wasn't eating any typical source of protein, just whatever happens to be in fruits and vegetables already, which is more than most people would think... My doctor doesn't know how I survive on what I eat and can physically perform. Neither do I, to be honest.

C

cooldude420

Student
Aug 8, 2021
Post what you find on youtube. It might be helpful to others and me

Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I used to, but I lost my multi-gym in the move. I have a bad back too lol. Watching out of interest.

AscendedBeing

AscendedBeing

Feb 15, 2023
Just picked up the hobby again and I gotta say man do i miss the feeling afterwards. It takes a LOT of effort to actually see results. As others have stated you gotta have a high protein diet which is very expensive for some along with doing everything in a routine. Currently I just do the basics I've got a few sets of dumbbells hand grips and then work with what non equipment exercises I know along with cardio.

cassxtho

cassxtho

Deftones Fan
Nov 8, 2022
I have an injury so I can't do a lot of muscle-building stuff. But I do pilates before I go to the gym in the morning, and it stimulates my muscles enough that they don't disappear lol. If you're looking for stuff you can do at home I recommend it a lot, even if its a warmup before you do anything else.

Reactions: aSilentVoice