• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
hi, I wanted to ask some advice from anyone who's either experienced paranoid delusions or has been close to anyone who has. I've had ppl in my life experience this and I had no idea how to respond to it. I don't want to invalidate them and make them think I'm just another person out to get them but I also don't want to fuel their delusions. So I've just stayed away. I think it's the right thing to do if I could potentially make things worse. But if anyone has input on this I would love to hear it. Thank you

also if you don't want to talk about it on a public forum, feel free to pm me

Last edited:
M

mellie5

Mar 26, 2023
Hello -

paranoid delusions (being sure that someone is spying, the neighbour has installed cameras etc.) are a common sign of schizophrenia, which is an illness like many others.

In the same way that you are not expected to operate on someone with a broken knee, you are not expected to know how to deal with schizophrenia, so try not to feel bad because you stay away from them because they affect you.

It's difficult not to either directly contradict their delusions or validate and encourage them. Ideally people with schizophrenia should try talking to a doctor. A common problem is that they don't take the medicine because they feel well so they think they don't need it or they don't take it because they think the doctor is poisoning them, so it gets worse and worse.

You can try telling them that the symptoms are very real - for them, the reality is that there are nanocameras in the wall, but some medicine can help them focus more and be able to deal with the situation better.

In any case, don't feel guilty by staying away from them, schizophrenia is a serious disease and people need years of training to be able to handle it.

There are ofc nuances, such as a paranoid personality disorder (not schizophrenia), overwhelming ideas (which are not yet a delusion) or just being weird with weird ideas.

Hope to have been a little helpful :-)

• Love
Reactions: guayabas
Ki_Nam

Ki_Nam

Slow brain turdle
Mar 23, 2023
Not too long after I accused my neighbors of spying and has installed cameras, I see this. Maybe I am schizo.

• Hugs
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Life is a mirror, but "whose" mirror?
Mar 23, 2023
Not too long after I accused my neighbors of spying and has installed cameras, I see this. Maybe I am schizo.
One of the symptoms is hearing things wrong. Also hearing things that only you can hear.

You may hear or suspect that others are constantly talking bad things behind your back.

For example just while ago I went on vacation and heard someone yelling "kill yourself" from behind the wall.

This can lead to psychotic thinking, such as that other people have formed a conspiracy, they read your mind in secrecy, or that they aren't even "real people".

Getting more information and talking about the matter should help. Also some sort of medication is suggested, because in the long run, schizophrenia has been studied to weaken the human brain.

Last edited:
M

mellie5

Mar 26, 2023
One of the symptoms is hearing things wrong. Also hearing things that only you can hear.

You may hear or suspect that others are constantly talking bad things behind your back.

For example just while ago I went on vacation and heard someone yelling "kill yourself" from behind the wall.

This can lead to psychotic thinking, such as that other people have formed a conspiracy, they read your mind in secrecy, or that they aren't even "real people".

Getting more information and talking about the matter should help. Also some sort of medication is suggested, because in the long run, schizophrenia has been studied to weaken the human brain.
also yk there are passive symptoms of schizophrenia, but hearing voices telling you what to do is a classic one.

Medication usually comes in cheaper daily tablets which the patient can forget to take etc. or in more expensive injections that work even for 3 months. Sometimes people have to take medication all their lives, just like those with high cholesterol or diabetes, it shouldn't be stigmatised. If with the medicine one functions normally then it should be seen as something quite usual.

• Love
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
also yk there are passive symptoms of schizophrenia, but hearing voices telling you what to do is a classic one.

Medication usually comes in cheaper daily tablets which the patient can forget to take etc. or in more expensive injections that work even for 3 months. Sometimes people have to take medication all their lives, just like those with high cholesterol or diabetes, it shouldn't be stigmatised. If with the medicine one functions normally then it should be seen as something quite usual.
agreed <3 thx for your input

L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
I have 2 schizophrenic friends who have dealt with paranoia. It's going to depend on what their level of "insight" is. It's still possible to have delusions while still being "with it" so that they're amenable to talking and reasoning it out. If they have no insight then trying to reason it out is of course futile. In either case, there's a fine balance to strike between validating their thoughts and not fuel their paranoia. Calling their thoughts "crazy" or "nonsense" isn't helpful of course and will just agitate them. It's important to be gentle.

• Love
Reactions: guayabas and Noise
Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
I don't have schizophrenia but I do have delusions. Paranoid ones or ones that make me think that someone is planting ideas on my head. I am logical enough to have a feeling that they are delusions and nothing more but not everyone is the same. I don't have frequent or strong delusions but enough to make me carry a weapon with me at all times.
As for advice, I suggest being extremely patient with them as their delusions may seem illogical but it is very real to them. Telling them things like," I think that man wants to kill you," Or ,"Stop acting so crazy, stop with your nonsense," certainly won't help. Tell them their delusions are valid and get them the help they need. Therapy wouldn't help so I suggest medications. Anyways, I wish you the best.

• Love
S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
Depends on how strong is their delusion, if they have some doubts themselves. You can ask about what they are paranoid about/idk just bring it up somehow, agree with them on their paranoia or at least consider it, then you can bring up some kind of counter point that they might not have thought about.

Galileo3630

Galileo3630

Tsundere
Mar 22, 2023
It's great that you're looking for advice on how to support your friends who may be experiencing paranoid delusions. It's important to approach the situation with compassion, empathy, and understanding. It's important to avoid dismissing or invalidating their experiences, while also not fueling their delusions.

One way to support them is to simply listen to them without judgment, and validate their feelings by acknowledging that their experiences are real for them. It's also important to encourage them to seek professional help from a therapist or doctor who is trained to treat mental health conditions. You can also offer to accompany them to appointments or help them find resources in their area.

Additionally, it's important to take care of yourself and set boundaries if necessary. If your friend's delusions are becoming too difficult for you to handle, it's okay to step back and take a break for your own well-being.

Overall, the most important thing is to approach the situation with empathy and compassion, and encourage your friend to seek professional help.

• Love