NorseHel

NorseHel

Tinnitus Enjoyer
Mar 28, 2022
So this might be a bit of an unhealthy way to see things, and I'm going to get on my high horse for a little bit, but I suppose I want to get it off my chest.

With my health slowly deteriorating and taking away some of my freedom, I've been getting annoyed lately at seeing people who are, by all appearances (which I realize can be deceiving), healthy, and using that good health to make fools of themselves at best, and actively worsen other people's lives at worst. What I'm really talking about I guess is anyone who's an asshole in any shape or form, which by itself is enough to annoy anyone. But nowadays I see someone being an asshole, or hurting other people, and I think "really? you were given a healthy life and this is what you're focusing your energy on?"

Saying it out loud... it's plain to see that this is just jealousy. Someone being an asshole doesn't make them less worthy of good health, and it's not like I'm some saint who, if only I'd had the chance, would make the world a better place. Hell, all things considered I'm still doing quite well physically, and there's plenty people much worse off than me who would probably feel I don't have enough appreciation for what I have.

All this to say:
it just... feels unfair, and that's a cliché, but it's true. If I by some miracle all my health issues went away tomorrow, I can't say I'd go out and live life to the fullest, because let's face it, I'd still be lazy and have anxiety. But I'd certainly appreciate what I'd been given a hell of a lot more.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cantbereal, come to dust, ColorlessTrees and 20 others
Riddle

Riddle

Student
Mar 25, 2022
Health is the crown only the sick can see

I understand where you are coming from, I get jealous/bitter towards healthy people as well. However it is the old saying you do not know what you have until its gone. It is hard to blame them for not having the same appreciation for good health as somebody that has had it taken from them. And in terms of doing good things, I think that is probably a separate discussion about human behavior in general

If anybody is interested there is a good book written by a man who became paralyzed from the chest down and eventually committed suicide, hopefully it is allowed for me to link it

One of the arguments he made to help people realize what he lost was a hypothetical that asked "how much would have to pay you to lose the function of your body from the waist down." 50-60 million dollars? More? Well that is the equivalent of what he lost and what he has to face every morning upon waking up

I think you have to assume you can't pass the money down or something because eventually I would probably take the money to help set up generational wealth for my family and support the community type of thing but you get the idea

• Love
Reactions: Celerity, WhatPowerIs, houseofleaves and 8 others
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I understand exactly what you mean. I hope they are not taking their good health for granted (they likely are) because as they say, sometimes "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" and it's very true in this situation. It's hard not to see it and feel like they are pretty damn lucky and probably don't even appreciate it.

Reactions: PreussenBlueJay, houseofleaves, Mixo and 2 others
S

silent staring void

Student
Jan 22, 2020
walt

walt

Mar 15, 2022
I really respect this opinion, just don't get too carried away with it.. It's okay to grieve over what you could have been despite your health conditions, I'm sure everyone does it since we always want more than what we have. I just get worried when I hear people do this as well as me because it can create a feedback loop, where you enable yourself to become what you feel like you have no other choice but to become. Depends of course on what we're talking about here but I understand you. I've done it a bit before, but I bet you have more of a reason to than I do.

I definitely think that a lot of healthy people, especially people without serious or mild mental illnesses, take their lives for granted. I'm really glad you're focusing on criticizing the nasty people though, seen a lot of others who just attack normal people for no reason because they feel the need to. I am sick of those people too. Sick of people wasting their time for needless conflict. Overall, I respect your opinion, and I hope you can stay positive amongst all this, to the best of your abilities :)

• Love
Reactions: PreussenBlueJay, lobster salad, hungry_ghost and 1 other person
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
The thing is if you had been born healthy, normally attractive ect you might have responded the same way due to various social pressures ect. It's being outcast from society that makes you reconsider everything.

Reactions: walt and lobster salad
NorseHel

NorseHel

Tinnitus Enjoyer
Mar 28, 2022
The thing is if you had been born healthy, normally attractive ect you might have responded the same way due to various social pressures ect. It's being outcast from society that makes you reconsider everything.
Oh, absolutely. I'm not criticizing anyone who has their health and their happiness, and I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone, even the assholes. Like others have said, you don't know what you've got until it's gone. It's easy to grow jaded and bitter at the unfairness of it all, and that's not who I want to be. Just trying to place these feelings and put them into words.

• Hugs
Reactions: GrumpyFrog, LittleJem and Sakura94
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Completely justified jealousy which is communicated in a way that really nullified the jealousy and downgradedit to sorrow/mourning. I'm with you i think for it to qualify as actual jealousy it may have to be coveting with intent or something akin to that. Making observations of the impact of your observations of others ignorance to their privelege is maybe just catharsis or purely observation. I dunno. Just know how you feel really.

Reactions: NorseHel
tiredplant777

tiredplant777

Student
Jul 23, 2021
So this might be a bit of an unhealthy way to see things, and I'm going to get on my high horse for a little bit, but I suppose I want to get it off my chest.

With my health slowly deteriorating and taking away some of my freedom, I've been getting annoyed lately at seeing people who are, by all appearances (which I realize can be deceiving), healthy, and using that good health to make fools of themselves at best, and actively worsen other people's lives at worst. What I'm really talking about I guess is anyone who's an asshole in any shape or form, which by itself is enough to annoy anyone. But nowadays I see someone being an asshole, or hurting other people, and I think "really? you were given a healthy life and this is what you're focusing your energy on?"

Saying it out loud... it's plain to see that this is just jealousy. Someone being an asshole doesn't make them less worthy of good health, and it's not like I'm some saint who, if only I'd had the chance, would make the world a better place. Hell, all things considered I'm still doing quite well physically, and there's plenty people much worse off than me who would probably feel I don't have enough appreciation for what I have.

All this to say:
it just... feels unfair, and that's a cliché, but it's true. If I by some miracle all my health issues went away tomorrow, I can't say I'd go out and live life to the fullest, because let's face it, I'd still be lazy and have anxiety. But I'd certainly appreciate what I'd been given a hell of a lot more.
I actually feel this is a wise way of looking at things. Being an asshole is a waste and it's sad to see people who have so much behave like that and take their health for granted. My health issues are mild. They don't effect my mobility or anything, as long as I take the right supplements and eat right I'm mostly okay. But when I had a physical breakdown causing this stuff to get worse and make me learn how to manage it, it really changed me. I hope it's okay for me to say that I don't feel that this is primarily a jealousy thing, but a way of perceiving reality that is made more clear by what you are experiencing yourself. You have the perspective many don't, and if most people had this perspective they would seriously change their lives and how they behave imo. It is genuinely so unfair. I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this with your health.

• Love
Reactions: NorseHel
C

cleveland2011

Feb 12, 2022
I'm currently in a mental institution- I'm pretty sure I'm terminally ill. It may take 2 to 3 to 5 to 10 years to kill me. But I believe I know what is going on. I have not received official diagnosis, but several with high degrees in alternative health world agree with me. That it's very likely I'm screwed knowing the circumstances. And the symptom set currently is beyond bad. Like severe in many ways neurologically. But I can walk talk eat sleep drive- I'm lucky I have these but I'm very sure they will leave me in time.

It's hard looking at some of these people. Several are fucked up here. From difficult conditions that are very unfair. Others I believe are fucked up by the medications I believe. Others have issues that don't make sense to me (like hearing voices) but I'm sure they aren't lying about it.

Everyone here has problems. It's very clear. People just don't realize the extent of their problems and how minor they are. And how minor they could be if they just wisened up.

My problem is inescapable. I'm so upset. I want to be anyone else here besides the crazy old ladies that are flat out delusional. I know if you took this disease away from me, I would be living incredibly. I said it in group talk today- NOTHING is holding me back in this world, BUT the disease. And now because of that EVERYTHING is missing from my life.

So yes… I'm so Fucking jealous of the healthy. The relatively healthy. People that have problems but aren't anywhere near mine in complexity and finality.

My life is over. I can't get fixed. Most people here can. They all have the power that I just don't have. It's so Fucking unfair.

• Hugs
Reactions: Efilismislife, LittleJem, NorseHel and 1 other person
houseofleaves

houseofleaves

and this with thee remains.
Jan 14, 2022
So yes… I'm so Fucking jealous of the healthy. The relatively healthy. People that have problems but aren't anywhere near mine in complexity and finality.
If only i could donate my life to you. If only i could 😭

• Love
Reactions: cleveland2011 and NorseHel

3xfipC74AYz

Oct 18, 2022
Chronic health issues/pain is excrutiating

Reactions: WhatPowerIs
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Without good health things can get really bad, really fast! Blessings to all here.

Reactions: WhatPowerIs