S

suicidal257

Nov 24, 2020
I use gmail account made with a fake name (besides my primary one), but I am still concerned Google will hand data over to my relatives. They say they will do so.

I have lots of stuff there I don't want to be known. I've deleted those mails but new ones can appear and also I'm not even sure if Google doesn't store the deleted ones and give them away.

Damn it. They shouldn't hand over any e-mail which hasn't been designated as such.

I should have never used their services to begin with.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager and death137
mirko

mirko

ah
Nov 19, 2020
They first need to make a request to Google, if Google approves it then they would need a court order from the USA regardless of the contry they are from.

Last edited:
Reactions: death137
S

suicidal257

Nov 24, 2020
They first need to make a request to Google, if Google approves it then they would need a court order from the USA regardless of the contry they are from.
I'm aware of it, but since the request form doesn't have that much details, wouldn't the order be "automatic"?

mirko

mirko

ah
Nov 19, 2020
I'm aware of it, but since the request form doesn't have that much details, wouldn't the order be "automatic"?
Then they have to get a court order, which I presume would take a long time.
I suggest you delete all your google emails and start using others mail providers like protonmail

Another thing you could do is set up another fake account which will be the one that will inherit you data. Your relatives will not be able to know if this is still your account or not

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
No offense, but are you sure you aren't overthinking this? Who knows about this email account? Your family? Is it just a secret throwaway? Is it attached to your main email? Does it lead back to you at all?

They aren't just going to hand over your info. First, a request has to be made. Google isn't going to even know anything happened to you on their own, and they aren't going to just hand over info just because. They don't know you even exist. You're one of millions of people who use their service. Unless you're committing crimes that need investigated, you aren't on anyone's radar.

You can just stop using the account. Probably even totally delete it, although I've never tried that. I usually just make them and stop logging in after awhile. I can't count how many email accounts I've forgotten and abandoned over the years. Nobody is going to even think about them. It's not suspicious.

Maybe my main account might be targeted, but I don't even think it would occur to anyone to try. I can't think of a single time when someone I knew died and their accounts were accessed. Family sees old email addresses and get sad, but nobody ever thought to try and access the accounts. The closest that happened was when my cousin was killed, her family asked for her Facebook to be preserved so people could continue to read and post there.

Reactions: profoundexperience, Wakawaka and Disco Biscuit
S

suicidal257

Nov 24, 2020
Okay, I trust what you say, I will still exercise maximum caution and move away from those accounts and I will also delete thm to make extra sure that they cannot be accessed.

Reactions: k75
T

turin

Nov 4, 2020
why on earth would they do that? can you elaborate why?

Reactions: Wakawaka and profoundexperience