• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Has anyone here ever protested (in person), ran for local office, or even just had a conversation with someone who held different political beliefs?

I personally think helping democracy to function and advocating what they believe in can give people a higher purpose in life.

For me I'm a pretty liberal person, but I'll occasionally attend a protest or speak with conservatives about politics. I might not really be changing anyones opinions or making a huge difference, but I find it mildly enjoyable to feel like I am a part of a larger movement for good. I also know many people on both sides, including myself, have been affected by government policy. For some, understandably, any discussion may seem futile at this point. Even while typing this I have to choose my words carefully.

I'm interested to see how other people on here interact with local politics, and if they find it as a source of fulfillment or a source of anxiety and dread.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: soulkitty
L

leadhoncho

Apr 15, 2024
Has anyone here ever protested (in person), ran for local office, or even just had a conversation with someone who held different political beliefs?

I personally think helping democracy to function and advocating what they believe in can give people a higher purpose in life.

For me I'm a pretty liberal person, but I'll occasionally attend a protest or speak with conservatives about politics. I might not really be changing anyones opinions or making a huge difference, but I find it mildly enjoyable to feel like I am a part of a larger movement for good. I also know many people on both sides, including myself, have been affected by government policy. For some, understandably, any discussion may seem futile at this point. Even while typing this I have to choose my words carefully.

I'm interested to see how other people on here interact with local politics, and if they find it as a source of fulfillment or a source of anxiety and dread.
I've gone to local (don't know if 1 hour drive counts as local but whatever) protests for things recently. I honestly envy people who find politics a source of fulfillment, the more attention I pay to these things the more suicidal I get LOL. Lots of insane people emerging from all sides.

Reactions: Blurry_Buildings
etherealgoddess

etherealgoddess

perseverance is inevitable success
Dec 8, 2022

I don't engage in it. I know I'd feel too anxious thinking about an entire realm of things that are out of my control and am not super interested in keeping updated with anyway. I can use my energy to better improve humanity by doing things I am good at like things related to psychology and teaching.

M

marsupial

Apr 9, 2024
I volunteer(ed), which offered some joy/satisfaction. The problem is/was that I wonder whether my contribution, a raindrop in a planet sized bucket, was worth anything really.