• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

FakeNews

Student
Apr 30, 2018
I've been reading the posts on the site and noticed something that is different from most other internet sites I visit: posts are insightful, articulate, and there is a civility in the exchange of thoughts and ideas.

I assume the correlation is to the overarching topic (I might be mistaken.) But, I wonder, is there potentially causation? And, if so, which is the independent variable?

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for making this little corner of the net a little more enjoyable than most.

Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018
We respect the deeply personal nature of the problems expressed here, and understand the inanity of trying to fix other people's personal, existential shit.

The only other thing to do is listen and talk as equals. Something most are too uncomfortable, or otherwise unwilling, to do.

F

FakeNews

Student
Apr 30, 2018
It makes me think that the world would be a better place if more people seriously considered suicide. Ironic, eh? But then again, if more people considered it, then the world would be better, which would lead to less people considering it. Hmmm. Now that seems like something out of a Joseph Heller novel or MC Escher drawing.....

El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
We respect the deeply personal nature of the problems expressed here, and understand the inanity of trying to fix other people's personal, existential shit.

The only other thing to do is listen and talk as equals. Something most are too uncomfortable, or otherwise unwilling, to do.

That's a good point. Personally, my reason for wanting self-deliverance is serious chronic health issues. Before I became ill, my life was great. So I have to admit that I don't have much common ground with people who want to go due to "depression" (which I realize is a problematic word). But despite not really understanding them, I can accept that their pain is real and just as severe as my own, just in a different way.

I used to really believe in the power of empathy. I used to believe that if everyone just tried hard enough to understand each other, humanity could create a better world. But not anymore. Now I realize that we can never know what it's like to be another person.

El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
It makes me think that the world would be a better place if more people seriously considered suicide. Ironic, eh? But then again, if more people considered it, then the world would be better, which would lead to less people considering it. Hmmm. Now that seems like something out of a Joseph Heller novel or MC Escher drawing.....

G.I. Gurdjieff was a spiritual teacher from the early 20th century. He had an interesting idea. He believed that the only thing that could save humanity would be if everyone "grew" an extra "organ" that would constantly tell us, "You are going to die someday. You are going to die someday." He felt that accepting the inevitability of death was the only solution for creating awakened humans.

F

FakeNews

Student
Apr 30, 2018
Interesting concept to keep the focus on the present and what we know we can affect.

I think that religions focusing on the afterlife are counterproductive to a meaningful life and healthy society.

Last edited: