vkore

vkore

Feb 27, 2023
i've been depressed for 10 years, and genuinely feel like no matter what happens in my life or how hard i try, i'll never get better.

how do you guys feel about recovery when your depression has become chronic? do you have any experiences or opinions on it?

• Hugs
Reactions: Joarga, Lostandlooking, po1sentree and 2 others
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
In my personal situation I've made backward progress. Every time I think I've hit rock bottom I find out it can get lower and lower every time. What I thought was rock bottom 10 years ago was a good day anymore. I tried every available treatment. So many meds, every talk therapy program, ECT, lifestyle changes like exercise and meditation and positive music, etc. You name it if it was covered by my insurance or something I could do myself I've tried it. I've given up. Nothing ever touched it for more than a few months before it stopped working.

I can't speak for anyone else, everyone's experience is different and some people genuinely do respond to treatment. But I genuinely believe that I am a hopeless case.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Lostandlooking, po1sentree and 2 others
vkore

vkore

Feb 27, 2023
In my personal situation I've made backward progress. Every time I think I've hit rock bottom I find out it can get lower and lower every time. What I thought was rock bottom 10 years ago was a good day anymore. I tried every available treatment. So many meds, every talk therapy program, ECT, lifestyle changes like exercise and meditation and positive music, etc. You name it if it was covered by my insurance or something I could do myself I've tried it. I've given up. Nothing ever touched it for more than a few months before it stopped working.

I can't speak for anyone else, everyone's experience is different and some people genuinely do respond to treatment. But I genuinely believe that I am a hopeless case.
that's pretty much my experience as well. tried everything. nothing worked. and life keeps going worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter and po1sentree
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
Here listen to this. It is a disease but you can negate it with exercise, meditation, doing purposeful things etc. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: po1sentree and divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
Ive tried every treatment available , some people just cant be helped

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter, po1sentree, Priestess and 1 other person
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Personally, I've stopped looking at it as "needing to get better" and now instead look at it as "keeping suffering as minimal as possible."

For me, this shifted my focus to just getting through one day at a time. Not thinking about yesterday, or tomorrow. Just today.

This doesn't mean I've dismissed the idea of "getting better" -- it just means I don't worry about it anymore. If treatment happens to make things better, great. But I've let go of the idea of "better". This seems to have relieved a lot of that pressure that I used to put on myself, and it has allowed me to let go of some of the guilt and shame.

It's still very, very hard, and I still deal with a lot of guilt and shame... and I'm not sure what my future looks like... But otherwise, I did find some relief in this shift in mindset.

Now, some people might construe this as "giving up." But for me, I call it "surviving."

I don't know if this is the right thing to do. I don't know if it's right for me, or if it's right for anyone else. For all I know, I could reach a crisis point again and get totally derailed at some point. But this is what I'm doing right now.

• Hugs
Reactions: badtothebone, Lostandlooking, po1sentree and 3 others
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
Here listen to this. It is a disease but you can negate it with exercise, meditation, doing purposeful things etc. Good luck

That shit never worked on me. I know I'm telling myself something I don't believe so it doesn't do anything at all to make me feel more gratitude or like I'm truly reframing my thoughts. I know I'm lying through my teeth. And faking it until I make it doesn't work either. I can tell myself the same lies over and over for months and never once do my true thoughts and believes and moods start to shift. Exercise, meditation, and purposeful activities are like one bandaid on 15 bullet holes. Medication, therapy, ECT, they might bump it up to a measly two bandaids.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, po1sentree and lachrymost
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
It's more about being aware, and not necessarily doing anything about it. Pretty fkin hard I know, but there is truth to it. Well wishes

Reactions: divinemistress36
willitpass

willitpass

Mar 10, 2020
It's more about being aware, and not necessarily doing anything about it. Pretty fkin hard I know, but there is truth to it. Well wishes
I'm more than aware. I can tell you every thought process I'm prone to. I can tell you when I'm self sabotaging. I can tell you when I'm spiralling. I can tell you when I feel uncomfortable with happiness. I can notice when things are doing better. I have been so aware that even from the age of 13 I was being commended by therapists for how insightful I was. A lack of awareness about how I'm feeling and what I'm doing and why I'm doing it have honestly done nothing but make my situation worse. I am so aware that I can't seem to change my ways because placebo effects don't work on me. Some people just genuinely cannot be helped.

• Hugs
Reactions: badtothebone and divinemistress36
Escape Artist

Escape Artist

Jun 3, 2019

Interesting, but Sam Harris says in this video that he's giving advice to people "within the normal range of psychological suffering."

I think that might mean mild or even moderate depression, but that is CLEARLY not what the OP is describing.

Reactions: divinemistress36, lachrymost, Hollowman and 1 other person
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
I got a pistol and a box of hollow points,best I can do.

Reactions: badtothebone
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
Interesting, but Sam Harris says in this video that he's giving advice to people "within the normal range of psychological suffering."

I think that might mean mild or even moderate depression, but that is CLEARLY not what the OP is describing.
I mean he does, but is it answer I have no idea. Because I agree society is clueless beyond the normal range of anything

maniac116

maniac116

My own worst enemy🌹💔
Aug 10, 2024
I was actually started on venlafaxine a few weeks ago & although I'm still not "normal" (who is?) I'm feeling pretty good now. I have had major depressive disorder for most of my life🌹💔

• Hugs
Reactions: badtothebone, divinemistress36 and po1sentree
-nobodyknows-

-nobodyknows-

Experienced
Jun 16, 2024
Unfortunately not. The closest I got was with ECT, but I couldn't live a normal life and keep doing that…

• Hugs
Reactions: badtothebone and po1sentree
ringo99

ringo99

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2023
Been severely depressed since my teens. I can't really confide in anyone as I found out the hard way and therapy is too expensive. The universe is basically telling me to ctb and I'm glad to oblige. Hopefully 96% pure SN is enough to get the job done

• Hugs
Reactions: po1sentree
Felodese

Felodese

Experienced
Mar 31, 2024
Lifelong depression, so no, no progress.
I've had periods where I was slightly less depressed. Been getting worse over the last few years. Now I am sinking fast as all my options/chances at help or treatment are proving useless.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking and po1sentree
maniac116

maniac116

My own worst enemy🌹💔
Aug 10, 2024
Been severely depressed since my teens. I can't really confide in anyone as I found out the hard way and therapy is too expensive. The universe is basically telling me to ctb and I'm glad to oblige. Hopefully 96% pure SN is enough to get the job done
SN at 95% or more is effective🌹💔

Reactions: ringo99