BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Do Escalators Cure Depression? The Answer Is Here Somewhere!! (maybe...)

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Rust, ilikehamsters and InversedShadow
notwhereIbelong

notwhereIbelong

I'm so tired
Feb 12, 2023
All this time beating ourselves up for a seemingly unsolvable problem... and here it is.
Next time I'm deep in a depressive episode I'll find the nearest set of escalators and just ride them up and down continuously. Will report back.

• Yay!
  • Informative
Reactions: NoPoint2Life, Unbolted0605, ilikehamsters and 2 others
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Enlightened
Apr 15, 2024
I hope my doctor will prescribe me escalators!

• Yay!
Reactions: BoulderSoWhat
ilikehamsters

ilikehamsters

Sleep, sleep is my happy place
Oct 2, 2024
Maybe i should become an escalator technician then!

• Yay!
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Crayon eater
May 9, 2024
escalators > escitalopram
DUH

• Informative
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Enlightened
Apr 15, 2024
K t1gT7yRJpc f0Tm5VOTyKy9Je2AFc9AJJ1UCD19x8

Schindler's lift 😅🤣😂
Makes sense. Escalators give an upLIFTing mood 😆😅🤣

mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
I deeeefinitely thought this was a serious thread and someone had found a way to CTB using escalators. I was ready to believe it.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: ilikehamsters and BoulderSoWhat
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
I deeeefinitely thought this was a serious thread and someone had found a way to CTB using escalators. I was ready to believe it.
If it can happen on accident, it can happen on purpose 🤣🤣🤣 Screenshot 20241007 194510 Google

• Informative
Reactions: mango-meridian
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Ahhh maybe not though, dying ON an escalator isn't the same as dying FROM an escalator. Checkmate I guess🙄

mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
Ahhh maybe not though, dying ON an elevator isn't the same as dying FROM an elevator. Checkmate I guess🙄
What are people doing to die on escalators. Y'all can literally just stand there. Though I will admit when I was a kid I was pretty spooked about the little hop you have to do to get off. 😬

Last edited:
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
I had to correct myself. We can't be mixing up elevators and escalators. Two VERY different things 😅
What are people doing to die on escalators. Y'all can literally just stand there. Though I will admit when I was a kid I was pretty spooked about the little hop you have to do to get off. 😬
Ahhh that must be it! 2 to 3 people a year...they forget about the hop off at the end.

Last edited:
notwhereIbelong

notwhereIbelong

I'm so tired
Feb 12, 2023
Man, Final Destination has traumatized me too much to consider using an escalator as a method, but from the title that my first thought as well

mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
I had to correct myself. We can't be mixing up elevators and escalators. Two VERY different things 😅

Ahhh that must be it! 2 to 3 people a year...they forget about the hop off at the end.
To a kid the hop is quite spooky indeed. But naw it's probably more like older people and people with disabilities who are carrying a bunch of stuff and then fall down. Also it doesn't help that the railing usually moves faster than the stairs.

For a CTB method I was picturing maybe if you let a string get sucked into it then it would get jammed in some gears and continue pulling the string. Then if the string was wrapped around your neck or something maybe it would kill you. Just normal things normal people think about lol. 🤷‍♀️

• Informative
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Come on deep ai, do your work! Screenshot 20241007 201119 Chrome

While escalators themselves are not a direct cure for depression, they can be understood as part of a larger system that influences mental well-being. Here's a scientifically plausible way to frame the role escalators might play in alleviating some symptoms of depression:

1.Physical Activity and Movement
- Gentle Physical Engagement: While escalators do not require significant exertion, the choice to stand on an escalator (as opposed to remaining sedentary) can encourage more movement. Movement, even in small doses, can stimulate the release of endorphins. These "feel-good" hormones can provide a temporary boost in mood.

2. Accessibility and Social Connection
- Encouraged Mobility: Escalators are often found in public spaces, which can make various destinations more accessible. This can facilitate social interaction—visiting friends, going to community events, or simply being around other people. Social interaction has been shown to have a significant positive impact on mood and can act as a buffer against depression.

3. Ease of Access to Natural Light
- Pathway to Natural Environments: Escalators can lead to areas with natural light—such as the outdoors or windows with sunlight exposure. Regular exposure to natural light has been linked to improved mood and is often used in treatments for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

4. Mindfulness and Distraction
- Mindful Movement: The process of using an escalator can be a moment of mindful engagement, where a person can take a break from stressors and be present at the moment. Techniques such as mindfulness have been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Distraction: Using an escalator can serve as a distraction from negative thoughts. The act of moving through a space can redirect focus, providing a mental break from ruminating thoughts associated with depression.

5. Routine and Structure
- Incorporating into Daily Life: Regular use of escalators can be part of a daily routine, which can provide structure. Establishing and maintaining routines can be beneficial for individuals experiencing depression, helping to create a sense of normalcy.

6. Environmental Aesthetics
- Pleasant Environments: Many escalators are located in visually appealing areas (such as shopping malls, museums, or parks). Engaging with aesthetically pleasing environments can enhance mood and promote positive feelings.

Conclusion
While escalators themselves are not a solution for depression, their role in promoting physical activity, facilitating social connections, providing access to natural light, and contributing to routine can all play a part in a comprehensive approach to enhancing mental well-being. For those struggling with depression, a multifaceted approach that includes therapy, physical activity, social engagement, and possibly medication is typically required, and elements like escalators can be small but meaningful contributors to overall mental health.

• Yay!
Reactions: mango-meridian
mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
Come on deep ai, do your work!View attachment 152022

While escalators themselves are not a direct cure for depression, they can be understood as part of a larger system that influences mental well-being. Here's a scientifically plausible way to frame the role escalators might play in alleviating some symptoms of depression:

1.Physical Activity and Movement
- Gentle Physical Engagement: While escalators do not require significant exertion, the choice to stand on an escalator (as opposed to remaining sedentary) can encourage more movement. Movement, even in small doses, can stimulate the release of endorphins. These "feel-good" hormones can provide a temporary boost in mood.

2. Accessibility and Social Connection
- Encouraged Mobility: Escalators are often found in public spaces, which can make various destinations more accessible. This can facilitate social interaction—visiting friends, going to community events, or simply being around other people. Social interaction has been shown to have a significant positive impact on mood and can act as a buffer against depression.

3. Ease of Access to Natural Light
- Pathway to Natural Environments: Escalators can lead to areas with natural light—such as the outdoors or windows with sunlight exposure. Regular exposure to natural light has been linked to improved mood and is often used in treatments for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

4. Mindfulness and Distraction
- Mindful Movement: The process of using an escalator can be a moment of mindful engagement, where a person can take a break from stressors and be present at the moment. Techniques such as mindfulness have been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Distraction: Using an escalator can serve as a distraction from negative thoughts. The act of moving through a space can redirect focus, providing a mental break from ruminating thoughts associated with depression.

5. Routine and Structure
- Incorporating into Daily Life: Regular use of escalators can be part of a daily routine, which can provide structure. Establishing and maintaining routines can be beneficial for individuals experiencing depression, helping to create a sense of normalcy.

6. Environmental Aesthetics
- Pleasant Environments: Many escalators are located in visually appealing areas (such as shopping malls, museums, or parks). Engaging with aesthetically pleasing environments can enhance mood and promote positive feelings.

Conclusion
While escalators themselves are not a solution for depression, their role in promoting physical activity, facilitating social connections, providing access to natural light, and contributing to routine can all play a part in a comprehensive approach to enhancing mental well-being. For those struggling with depression, a multifaceted approach that includes therapy, physical activity, social engagement, and possibly medication is typically required, and elements like escalators can be small but meaningful contributors to overall mental health.
Proof AI aint that smart. Won't give us the real answers. 😒