N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have holidays and I try to distract me from ruminating abour my daily sorrows. I am not sure whether anyone is interested in this topic. There are many people from UK in this forum. I like soccer but no as much as in the past. I am sort of a Bayern Munich fan and followed the Kane drama. I was against that transfer. Paying more than 100 Million is insane for a 30 year old striker with a contract that only lasted 1 year.

I think it is probably no good deal for anyone. I heard the media saying the exact opposite. I am not that much into soccer anymore but here is my reasoning. Bayern should have invested the money one year prior into buying Haarland. I really considered it svery tupid not to try to get him. They said it would have blown their salary budget. Though I think this step would have been way more reasonable than to pay more than 100 million for Kane who is way too old. Haarland is the future. I think the fitness of Kane is not as good as the one of Lewandowski. Acquiring Kane for such an amount of money seems to be pretty naive. In general not to acquire a proper alternative player after selling Lewandowski was naive as fuck.

I see the development of Bayern Munich very pessimistic. I don't deny that he will probably score many goals this season. But the managers of Bayern Munich seem to be very short-sighted. Though some of them were fired after the last season.

Soccer becomes more and more perverted for me. Money scores goals and wins trophies as we see with Man City. The English clubs are concerning the money way more advanced than the rest of the world. Maybe except of the Saudis who now want to imitate their Qatary enemies with their attempt of sports washing. I am glad that I don't pay for pay TV since a long time. The prices are insane and the salaries become more insane too. English soccer is in many instances for German soccer a gaze into the future. We more and more adapt English standards which means that fans get exploited more and more while investors and consultants make all the money. While promoting questionable businesses like sports bet for baiting fans into losing their money while believing the myth the industry tells us. Soccer would be true emotions, excitement and true love. Well this kind of soccer is dead since a long time ago at least in the professional soccer leagues where it is all about money, fame and how to get attention on social media. I read many clubs are very interested in things like NFTs and it disgusts me when I have to read something like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Teikoku, Green Destiny and my endless blue
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I hate football and I never understood the appeal. To me it is boring as hell. Plus those footballer players are vastly overpaid and many of them have no real passion for the team they are playing for. It is all a money racket.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Downdraft, Teikoku and whywere
my endless blue

my endless blue

maybe in the next life, right?
Apr 22, 2023
Well, I think 100 million euros for a 30yo player is kinda crazy... I know it's Harry Freaking Kane but still...

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I wish I could get into soccer but there's so many leagues that I can't follow what for what. Not being in the UK or Europe doesn't help that. I have watched some soccer related channel on Youtube and did watch a lot of the recent World Cup. Just recently heard the story of a player named Victor Osihmen who I think grew up in a literal dump in Nigeria but was able to make it big time after many trial and errors in different Euro leagues. Just helped Naples win a huge Championship I think.

Teikoku

Teikoku

Experienced
Mar 18, 2023
Football lost its appeal for me a long time ago. It's mainly to do with the money aspect, there's no way I can take it seriously when you have those astronomical player salaries that threaten to bankrupt clubs. I also really dislike when they move from grounds which they had for years and then the new ground is a nasty architectural blob which there is no emotional attachment to. Even the name of the stadium will be a brand name. Also as mentioned above there is a real lack of passion in the game, caused by the massive flow of money. At least cricket hasn't changed too much.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I live in the U.S. where our football (NFL) has players making beyond obscene amounts of money for "playing" a game. We also have baseball, basketball, hockey and lacrosse. I 100% agree with @Lost Magic as far as it is a huge money-making machine and nothing more. The average family in the U.S. cannot attend a lot of pro sports games as the pricing is out of reach. Take the price of the tickets, parking fees, drinks and snacks and so go not the monthly family budget but the entire years family budget.

I have not traveled outside of the U.S., so I do not know pricing of sports in other countries, but if it is anything like here, YIKES!

Just like the state in the U.S. where I live, public tax dollars were spent putting up billion-dollar stadiums and the average taxpayer cannot afford to go to the games.

It is all about money and power and nothing for the common person to attend and enjoy.

Walter

Reactions: Teikoku