I'm curious to know, of these 2 choices if you had to pick a method, which one and why? Why not?

• Starvation/Dehydration

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Hanging

Votes: 35 92.1%

• Total voters
Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa, Kyrie Eleison
Sep 22, 2023
Right now I'm inbetween both. Eating lesser and lesser while drinking almost nothing, all the while getting ready to order a rope to begin preparations for hanging.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Right now I'm inbetween both. Eating lesser and lesser while drinking almost nothing, all the while getting ready to order a rope to begin preparations for hanging.
VSED is hard af, but I wouldn't try hanging bc it seems too violent to me

Reactions: Jealous Blackheart and Mea Culpa
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
vsed takes a very long time and almost everyone loses it and drinks water. si will kick in harder and harder the longer a method takes. hanging isnt really one you can stop once youre off the ledge (full, obvs)

Reactions: Mea Culpa
passivethought121

passivethought121

Student
Jun 11, 2023
I pick hanging because personally it's a higher success rate. To starve I'd need to figure out how to dissappear for weeks. To suspend I'd need to pick one of many places and dissappear for a few hours.

nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
Hanging, because it's instant in comparison. And it's roughly 10 seconds of suffering before you pass out compared to days with starvation. Also much more likely to work

Reactions: リンさん and Mea Culpa
abcz

abcz

confused with life
Sep 19, 2023
I read once that one can survive 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Idk how true this is. But also I like candy and don't want to feel thirsty all day one day to have to not drink any water the next day. Also I think there can be amounts of liquid in anything that can cause these days to take longer.

Ig I also am considering hanging myself because it feels relatively easy compared to many of the other methods tbh. I can also do it makeshiftedly with what I have on hand without needing to buy things.

Reactions: Worndown and Mea Culpa
Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Sep 22, 2023
I've tried to ctb with a partial hanging years ago but was found not too long after.

In july I ended up really depressed and stopped eating for 3 days. I could feel my body really begin to hurt from it on the 3rd night. It hurt to walk so much, taking a shower was painful just from the water hitting me, sitting hurt, laying hurt.

I think, had I not been taken to the ward on day 4, I may have ctb soon. However it wasn't exactly intentional, I just lost the will to eat when I got into a depressive episode.

So I definitely see both sides, one takes days and will power to ignore si while the other is quicker and easily accessible. I just like knowing others thoughts and opinions as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Jealous Blackheart and nicotine_goblin
outlook56

outlook56

Sep 24, 2023
1-Hanging if I can, if I can't,
2-I'll dry myself in the desert
Honestly, if sodium nitrite does not arrive, I will choose hanging, and as a last option, dry myself in the desert
In july I ended up really depressed and stopped eating for 3 days. I could feel my body really begin to hurt from it on the 3rd night. It hurt to walk so much, taking a shower was painful just from the water hitting me, sitting hurt, laying hurt.

I think, had I not been taken to the ward on day 4, I may have ctb soon.
There is actually someone on the forum who did a food and water fast and reached day 5 and couldn't endure it ..

Frankly speaking, fasting on food is very long and may reach a30 days + or more..

for fasting on food and water, it may reach 11+ days at room temperature without much activity.

The only way to die quickly is through dehydration at high temperatures. Like the desert 2+ days is enough

Last edited:
Reactions: Jealous Blackheart and Mea Culpa
Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
VSED is for all intents and purposes a non-method. At least hanging doesn't take long and is effective.

Reactions: Mea Culpa, リンさん and Worndown
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Neither of them sound like particularly desirable methods to me, hanging sounds like a barbaric method, I would fear it going wrong or the SI kicking in but of course many people have succeeded with it, I envy them. Starvation just sounds unbearable and torturous to try and succeed with, from what I'm aware this method isn't generally recommended for ctb.

Jealous Blackheart

Jealous Blackheart

A Well Read Demon
Aug 25, 2023
I read once that one can survive 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Idk how true this is. But also I like candy and don't want to feel thirsty all day one day to have to not drink any water the next day. Also I think there can be amounts of liquid in anything that can cause these days to take longer.

Ig I also am considering hanging myself because it feels relatively easy compared to many of the other methods tbh. I can also do it makeshiftedly with what I have on hand without needing to buy things.
The rule of 3's is a myth. Those numbers are grossly conservative and realistically you can survive significantly longer than that. But I wish it were that easy because I'd be gone now if the people who started that lie were honest.

Reactions: abcz, sserafim and Mea Culpa
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

Sep 25, 2023
that rule came about when more people did physical labor just to survive. you will absolutely die in ~3 days from dehydration if youre trying to function normally the entire time

unit 731 killed a lot of people by dehydrating them to death under a lot of different circumstances, some of the results are available to read

e: i should clarify "normally" as a lot of movement, like 5x more than people normally do now in modern living situations

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sserafim and Mea Culpa
Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Sep 22, 2023
Would it be possible for body type to play a role in how long it would take to vsed? I'm of pretty small frame myself and have lost 20 pounds from the severe lack of nutrients. I'm not sure if I'm at the point of malnourished, but my appetite hasn't recovered. Only reason I'm even eating a tiny bit is because I'm being monitored.

lita-lassi

lita-lassi

Sep 25, 2023
Would it be possible for body type to play a role in how long it would take to vsed? I'm of pretty small frame myself and have lost 20 pounds from the severe lack of nutrients. I'm not sure if I'm at the point of malnourished, but my appetite hasn't recovered. Only reason I'm even eating a tiny bit is because I'm being monitored.
yeah ofc a large obese person is going to last longer than a thinner person on average because theyre holding more water and energy in the fat and tissues the body can draw on to survive, thats what fat stores are biologically meant for

• Informative
Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Sep 22, 2023
yeah ofc a large obese person is going to last longer than a thinner person on average because theyre holding more water and energy in the fat and tissues the body can draw on to survive, thats what fat stores are biologically meant for
That's what I thought but wanted a second opinion. Theres so many different factors that can come into play, it really depends on the person themselves it seems.