I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
Since I haven't managed to shuffle off my mortal coil this month, it looks like I need to get a haircut. That's, like, my second most unfavorite normal-human activity. They always want to know which implements I want them to use and how long to make various parts and I don't know can you just make it shorter? And can we talk about "product"? Do people really like their hair crunchy? Ugh.

I know this is the stupidest thing in the world, but I've seriously had to get up and leave from two different barbers recently, and I'm too embarrassed to go back.

• Hugs
Reactions: tiger b, R_N, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
I've noticed that "foreign" barbers tend to try and make less smalltalk with me, which can be nice if you're not in the mood for talking. They're also usually quicker and cheaper. Only downside is that they don't always cut the best lol.
But i suppose it differs for men and women aswell.

Reactions: I Can't Say
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
I've noticed that "foreign" barbers tend to try and make less smalltalk with me, which can be nice if you're not in the mood for talking. They're also usually quicker and cheaper. Only downside is that they don't always cut the best lol.
I actually have a story about this, but I've decided I'm not going to tell it because it proves I'm racist. So you'll just have to imagine my racist haircut story. I'm sorry, but my parents are racist, and I went to a segregated school. They didn't call it segregated, they had a euphemism, but we were kept apart. The guy who set up the system was secretly a member of the KKK, but the evidence of that has been disappeared. The Klan are everywhere in this country, and they hate all minorities, and they won't be in secret for much longer, I expect.

This thread just took a weird turn, didn't it?

• Yay!
Reactions: tiger b and Enlighten
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
Idc if you're racist lol, i'm white.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Let it grow! I haven't seen a hairdresser since several years and it's fine.

Reactions: I Can't Say
SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
I bought an hair clipper from the web and I do my own hair since then. It's been years.
A bit difficult if you want a 'trendy' hairstyle but if you just need something basic it's very much doable.

Reactions: rationaltake, Praestat_Mori, tiger b and 2 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I despise small talk now. I was ok with it when I had a "normal" life. Now not so much especially when people ask personal questions.

I am a guy and I started giving myself haircuts since last year. My hair is not that short so it doesn't look bad and I am getting used to it. I use a trimmer and scissors.

I also fix my own shit when I can. Self taught thanks to internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, tiger b and I Can't Say
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
i dont think it's stupid, definitely not the stupidest thing in the world, i totally understand. i havent gone to get a hair cut in at least six years, i hate them so much i just gave up trying and realised id rather have a shit haircut i did myself than have to go through that whole process. also saves some money too which is a bonus i guess lol. if it helps you at all, i always used to bring a picture of what i wanted and made sure i had a front, side and back angle so i could just show the barber and ask them to do it exactly like the picture. i never understood the different lengths or names for types of haircut so it would freak me out trying to explain it myself. the only thing is you still have to sit through the brain rotting small talk. either way i wish you the best.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and I Can't Say
TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
The only reason I don't despise getting my hair trimmed is because I go to the same stylist every time, and she is such a lovely person. She already knows what I generally want done to my hair, even if I decide to switch things up a little from time to time.

Sometimes she'll turn on some great music and work on my hair while we listen silently. Other times, one or both of us is/are chatty, and that can be fun as well.

Additionally, every stylist's chair/workspace is in its very own room within the salon, and I really appreciate the privacy and the lack of interfering noises.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you can find someone tolerable and stick with them every time, maybe getting your hair cut could be slightly less uncomfortable? I dunno ❤️

I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
I know it's easier said than done, but if you can find someone tolerable and stick with them every time, maybe getting your hair cut could be slightly less uncomfortable? I dunno ❤️
Had a cool guy for a while, but he retired. What can you do? Thx

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
Shit, I've had that happen as well. Ugh

Finding my current stylist after that previous one had retired was an annoying process. I just had to hope for the best (yeah right) with each random stylist I tried (for over a year), until I finally encountered the one I now see.

Yeah, like I said: easier said than done, I know. 😐

R

rileywatson

Oct 19, 2023
I haven't gotten a proper haircut in years. I just let it grow, occasionally scissoring split ends and such. Proper hair care is still important though, don't wash your hair too much or too little, use separate shampoo and conditioner, etc.

If you do actually need a proper haircut, I enjoyed getting them from people I knew. The last stylist I had was also my cousin, and she was pretty chill. If you know anybody, even tangentially, it can make the interaction less awkward.