disillusionment

disillusionment

Oct 22, 2020
Anyone else grow up being very sensitive and emotional in a family where everyone claims to not have emotions, or can't feel the full range of emotions, or understand others' emotions at all?

1) My brother thinks our mom is a sociopath, I'm not entirely sure about that but she doesn't understand others' emotions, doesn't care about hurting others emotionally, lies compulsively, and generally treats people (and animals) as background characters in her own fantasy life, or objects to use and throw away when they're not serving a purpose. I don't think she does it on purpose or knows what she's doing. She was absent for much of my life, lived in another province. our father had custody but we saw her for maybe two weeks once a year sometimes, except sometimes she'd float back into our lives, say it was for good, but then leave once again even though we cried and begged her to stay.

2) My father claims he is "unemotional" and "logical", says he doesn't have emotions, although he was prone to fits of rage where he would abuse me. But generally, he doesn't understand others emotions and mocks others for having them. I've seen him cry over the death of pets, so he's not entirely unemotional, but he claims he is. He thinks emotions are illogical and thinks you can just turn them off.

3) My brother just recently told me he is autistic. Nobody knew this growing up. He says he can't understand facial expressions, doesn't really feel emotions, he looks at everything like nothing matters. He looks at everything in what he says is a logical way, completely detached from emotions. He says that if someone is upset or crying or yelling he really doesn't understand it. Growing up, he was pretty cruel to me, and I guess he didn't understand how his actions affected others.

My father would laugh at me when I cried and mock me, pretending to cry himself. Or he'd tell me I'm on my period and that I need to hold off on being upset until next week, and then If I'm still upset I can cry. When I started self harming, he made it a joke, saying "Maybe we should cut ourselves together." He didn't ask why I was doing it, ask whats wrong, or try to help me in any way. My mom would make fun of me too. I remember one time when I was 12 I was beaten up badly at school by a much older, larger girl, and I had never even spoken to her once. She simply didn't like my face. We sat at the dining table after, and my brother, my mother, and her boyfriend all laughed and made fun of me for getting beaten up by her. I was bullied constantly from grade 4 and up and not once did my family ever care.

I was always super sensitive, probably because I had terrible self esteem (being rejected by peers, bullied, abused and told things like "you're worthless" and "your mother left because she doesn't love you" can do that to a kid). My brother thinks that I was just too sensitive and that if I wasn't, I would have turned out fine. But I don't know how to change that, any more than my family members know how to change. I guess it would involve building up my self-esteem, but I have no clue how to.

Lately I'm scared I'm becoming like my mother, and if she really is a sociopath, that terrifies me and I don't want to be like that. I have some of the traits but not all. I take after my father in loving animals and not connecting with people. But I have some of my mom's traits. I do have empathy though. I feel like sometimes I really do just turn it off. Or I have limited empathy.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere, TooConscious, Journeytoletgo and 2 others
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
You're parents sound really mean etc. That must have been really hard to deal with. It sounds like you don't live with them anymore. That's good if so. My mom is a narcissist I think. She shows no empathy even at my lowest. My dad used to respond...helped me out from a bad situation, but since leaving his house after being there almost a year he doesn't respond if I complain about anything.

Your examples of them being cruel and abusive to you makes me so mad that there are awful people getting to live while others (like myself) suffer and endure severe isolation.

I think you can control not becoming like your mom.

Reactions: mk01, TooConscious and disillusionment
disillusionment

disillusionment

Oct 22, 2020
You're parents sound really mean etc. That must have been really hard to deal with. It sounds like you don't live with them anymore. That's good if so. My mom is a narcissist I think. She shows no empathy even at my lowest. My dad used to respond...helped me out from a bad situation, but since leaving his house after being there almost a year he doesn't respond if I complain about anything.

Your examples of them being cruel and abusive to you makes me so mad that there are awful people getting to live while others (like myself) suffer and endure severe isolation.

I think you can control not becoming like your mom.
It was really hard to deal with. I was really crying out for help as a kid and really lonely, wanting warmth but just surrounded by these emotionless people. Nowadays I'm still not over it and get flashbacks from my childhood, I still feel like that hurting child. I can't seem to get over it. But I guess they really couldn't help it. I wonder now if my father is a sociopath as well. Laughing at someone crying and making a mockery of your child self-harming seems pretty sociopathic. My father also seems to use people for his own purposes and doesn't date people because he actually loves them. I don't think he can actually love people or connect to them fully.

I don't live with them anymore. Now I'm severely isolated too. But it still really haunts me. I wish so badly to have normal family relationships.

I'm sorry your mom is a narcissist. It's really hard not getting any empathy from your mother.

It makes me so mad too. But I also feel bad for my parents. They had really bad childhoods, I don't even know the full extent. I'm not sure if thats what made them that way or if they were born that way. And it must have been hard for my brother growing up, having autism and no one knowing.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: western_heart, TooConscious, S like suicide and 1 other person
disillusionment

disillusionment

Oct 22, 2020
Anyone else who had sociopath parents? I'd like to hear about it

I think both my parents are sociopaths.

I took some sociopath tests today and it said I am not one but I don't know how accurate they are.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
My parents are unemotional and I also grew up unemotional. Amusingly enough they are now confused why I don't give a crap about them and am not interested in being part of their family.

• Hugs
Reactions: mk01 and disillusionment
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
In a way I did, my father had the personality of a wet fart and I didn't get along with my brother, not in the slightest. It was just me and mum against the world.

• Hugs
Reactions: disillusionment and TooConscious
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
It's a sad flaw of human beings, the equivalent of animals eating their young... Humans offload all their insecurities/negative energies on to the ones who care/feel the most, the only way to not suffer in this world is having no empathy.

• Hugs
Reactions: disillusionment
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Family?? What the heck is that??? Never ever had one. Like I have said on this forum a lot before, I was NEVER EVER wanted. My "dad" had my older brother and my "mom" had my younger sister and I was "the mistake" for real. That is what both of my "parents called me to my face and ever in public. When I was 18 they kicked me out and I never heard from them again ever, their choice. Never heard from my brother or sister either, their choice. When my "parents" died they left my younger sister a hobby farm and cash and my older brother got over 2.4 million U.S. dollars and I got ZERO. When I was like 9 or 10 years old I got a white cat from a lady and the poor cat got in rat poison and I held it till it died. My "dad" was hyper mad that I was wasting time with the cat instead of working on his farm and also because I, a male child, was crying and he beat the hell out of me. He would, when ever he felt like it beat the crap out of me and my "mom" would just stand there, lovely. I have always worn my heart on my sleeve and I am very emotional and both my "parents" were cold as ice, never smiled, never said thank you or how are you feeling, nothing ever. So damn glad I got kicked out in 1974 and never ever looked back. Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: disillusionment
disillusionment

disillusionment

Oct 22, 2020
Family?? What the heck is that??? Never ever had one. Like I have said on this forum a lot before, I was NEVER EVER wanted. My "dad" had my older brother and my "mom" had my younger sister and I was "the mistake" for real. That is what both of my "parents called me to my face and ever in public. When I was 18 they kicked me out and I never heard from them again ever, their choice. Never heard from my brother or sister either, their choice. When my "parents" died they left my younger sister a hobby farm and cash and my older brother got over 2.4 million U.S. dollars and I got ZERO. When I was like 9 or 10 years old I got a white cat from a lady and the poor cat got in rat poison and I held it till it died. My "dad" was hyper mad that I was wasting time with the cat instead of working on his farm and also because I, a male child, was crying and he beat the hell out of me. He would, when ever he felt like it beat the crap out of me and my "mom" would just stand there, lovely. I have always worn my heart on my sleeve and I am very emotional and both my "parents" were cold as ice, never smiled, never said thank you or how are you feeling, nothing ever. So damn glad I got kicked out in 1974 and never ever looked back. Walter
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Your parents are awful. I hate this whole "boys can't cry" thing. Even my sociopath dad would cry if a pet died. No shame in that.

• Love
Reactions: whywere