struggles_inc

struggles_inc

life is a highway and i wanna wreck my car
Jun 24, 2023
I'm just really tired of him being uninterested in having a rich conversation with me. I talk about something and he's only engaged if we argue. When I share my interests with him, he gives me the cold shoulder. It seems like he's only interested in proving he's right, and so when we argue, even when his point is absurd, he will push it to extremes.
I don't really talk about it, but the topics he's interested in are very limited. He would talk to me - barely - about video games and anime, and even then we would most likely argue, because he doesn't like my opinions on certain aspects. I feel bored trying to talk to him about politics or culture or languages. I speak 6 languages, 4 of them fluently (a little flex here sorry), and I tried to engage him in learning. However, all he does is provide reasons to why he's not doing that. And when we talk politics, I just can't tolerate that for long, because he becomes aggressive.
I tried to get him to read more literature. Recently I've been rereading Dostoevsky because of Silent Hill 2, and I recommended my bf to read more. He never did.

I find myself talking to other men sometimes. Nothing intimate, of course. I just have some very intelligent coworkers, mostly middle aged, who have so many great experiences and knowledge to share. I know my boyfriend doesn't strive to become like those men and it makes me so fucking depressed. I don't care about looks, most of men I admire look really tired, but it seems that I have a taste for smarts. Something my boyfriend doesn't want to upgrade.

My mom tells me he's not my type. That I should dump him. I'm really tired of those conversations, too. So I have no one to share this information with. Please don't judge me for bringing this personal matter here. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings.

I don't really know what to do or why I even shared that. He's just texting me right now, and as usual we're having a half-assed interaction again.

• Yay!
Reactions: LondonVillie and LifeQuitter
uniqueusername4

uniqueusername4

died a long time ago
Aug 13, 2023
Do you want to break up with him? Maybe you could write a pros/cons list about the relationship. It should definitely improve/add value to your life, not take away from it. It sounds like you need more mental stimulation. I wonder if there is a reason he only talks about these few things? Is he on the spectrum? Sometimes autistic people can't read social cues that someone is tired of hearing about a topic and it is one they are really excited about, so they want to share with anyone who will listen.

Reactions: struggles_inc
struggles_inc

struggles_inc

life is a highway and i wanna wreck my car
Jun 24, 2023
Do you want to break up with him? Maybe you could write a pros/cons list about the relationship. It should definitely improve/add value to your life, not take away from it. It sounds like you need more mental stimulation. I wonder if there is a reason he only talks about these few things? Is he on the spectrum? Sometimes autistic people can't read social cues that someone is tired of hearing about a topic and it is one they are really excited about, so they want to share with anyone who will listen.
I'm not sure if I want to break up. I want to be apart sometimes, when talking to him becomes overwhelming. This relationship does bring comfort and stability to my life, but it mostly does when it's strictly physical. Not sex exclusively, also cuddling and stuff. The relationship seems to work better when we don't talk.
I asked him to read about autism and compare some examples to his life, maybe see some parallels. Unfortunately he was adamant it's all bogus.

• Yay!
Reactions: LondonVillie
untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
for warned, if this is a young relationship (as in years together) that disinterest and argument aspect could get worse, and have underlying implications on his personality. be wary to stick with it if you think a progression of this would make you miserable.

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I agree with your mom. It sounds like you're not very compatible.