ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Pick a city where you are and type in "places to commit suicide near me".

In the case of Vienna, Austria for example I have a plethora of locales to choose—from the Steinhof church, to the tree garden, the Sigmund Freud Museum, to Water World—to simply name just a few.

Well ain't technology just great :)

001ctb

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 21Neberg, Halo13, thepolarbear and 10 others
charlottewilts

charlottewilts

read Dostoyevsky
Jun 15, 2019
Vienna sounds like a lovely place to die! the Ferris Wheel would definitely be a fun spot!

it doesn't work for my city, sadly... but nice find!

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Water world? What are you to do there, apart from feel all warm and fuzzy looking at the penguins?

Death by cuteness, perhaps?

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Water world? What are you to do there, apart from feel all warm and fuzzy looking at the penguins?

Death by cuteness, perhaps?
These places are chosen by the algorithms though I doubt it has any understanding of the phrase "places to commit suicide near me". There will probably come one day when ai handles Google maps and in the future such a request to find a locale will automatically send the viewer to a quasi Orwellian message saying "The department of well being is on its way, we know where you are please remain in the current place where you are at..."

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, Midnight-rain and charlottewilts
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
These places are chosen by the algorithms though I doubt it has any understanding of the phrase "places to commit suicide near me". There will probably come one day when ai handles Google maps and in the future such a request to find a locale will automatically send the viewer to a quasi Orwellian message saying "The department of well being is on its way, we know where you are please remain in the current place where you are at..."

And then you would jump out the window of your 300 story building to escape the agents, and land on a hoovering taxi driven by a two-headed alien. Sort of like they do in Star Wars. Yeah, I can see that happening, haha!

Joke aside, I am afraid you are all too right. Well, look on the bright side: at least we won't be around to be injected with kallocain and answer to The Department of Well Being och Eternal Happiness.

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, Skathon and ManWithNoName
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Pick a city where you are and type in "places to commit suicide near me".

In the case of Vienna, Austria for example I have a plethora of locales to choose—from the Steinhof church, to the tree garden, the Sigmund Freud Museum, to Water World—to simply name just a few.

Well ain't technology just great :)

View attachment 23245

That's kinda funny and I didn't even think about that. I wonder if the algorithm is using actual suicide data to pick these spots or if it's pulling some other data.

Could always be a trend setter and pick somewhere no one else has to add a new spot to the map!

Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
I had no idea that was even a thing. Damn, Google really knows what is up.

Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
Nothing near me, kinda could hvae done with the inspiration, but I have my place set already, its just take 3 for me!

HereToday

HereToday

Arcanist
Dec 27, 2019
I'm on vacation so this isn't in my country but I tried it and one of the places that comes up translates to 'mouth of hell'. How fitting! It's a bunch of cliffs with an amazing view. If I had the guts to jump I'd do it there

• Wow
Reactions: Ame and Soulless_Angel
MysticPerception

MysticPerception

I'm back and I'll still smile for you
Dec 31, 2019
Unfortunately it just brings up a bunch of places for mental health for me. I guess typing in suicide just triggered it's algorithm for this person needs help. Though I already know of a location anyway I'm not going to bother going to it. I intend to either die in my bed all warm and cozy or just drive out to the middle of some woods where no one will ever find my corpse. It was fun to try using google maps that way though.

Reactions: Ame and Soulless_Angel
Science Is Scary

Science Is Scary

Evidence is the path to the truth. Maybe.
Oct 17, 2019
Heh, that's a really interesting idea to me, Man.

I wonder if there are already tools that could be used to find nearby places with high elevation?

If not, creating one out of the Google Maps API and other data sources like OpenStreetMap might be possible.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ame
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Heh, that's a really interesting idea to me, Man.

I wonder if there are already tools that could be used to find nearby places with high elevation?

If not, creating one out of the Google Maps API and other data sources like OpenStreetMap might be possible.

Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome - good question about using the system to find high elevation places—though if anyone Google side found out, they would stop it.

Reactions: Science Is Scary
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
Well that is certainly interesting. Though I'd be cautious of using Google, they've been known to harvest data and use it for not your best interest, let's say. Though DuckDuckGo doesn't have any feature like Google Maps as far as I know. Still be cautious.

• Love
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995
cosmicpixiedust

cosmicpixiedust

Pixie
Jun 5, 2019
I uh..hope this is incorrect. :ahhha::pfff:

Attachments

• uhh.png
    uhh.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: MysticPerception
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
And then you would jump out the window of your 300 story building to escape the agents, and land on a hoovering taxi driven by a two-headed alien. Sort of like they do in Star Wars. Yeah, I can see that happening, haha!

Joke aside, I am afraid you are all too right. Well, look on the bright side: at least we won't be around to be injected with kallocain and answer to The Department of Well Being och Eternal Happiness.

That is a bit unsettling and I hope this would never come, but I fear it is inevitable at some point in our lifetime. :aw:

Well that is certainly interesting. Though I'd be cautious of using Google, they've been known to harvest data and use it for not your best interest, let's say. Though DuckDuckGo doesn't have any feature like Google Maps as far as I know. Still be cautious.

Yeah, I would not put CTB related stuff into Google apps, especially those that trace your phone or stuff. I also use Incognito Mode when typing CTB related stuff. One could never be too careful when it comes to covering your tracks and what not.

Reactions: Lefty and Epsilon0
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
I don't want to give Google my data, and DuckDuckGo maps didn't show anything. I found a couple of articles about "suicide tourism" in my city, though. Apparently one in ten people who CTB here came from out of town specifically for that purpose.