wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
I met with a doc and she prescribed sertraline + some benzos for my PTSD anxiety depression combo. I'm uncertain if I want to try to take them and see what happens or just ctb....
I've been having some very unbearable few months and she said that with medication it will get worse before (if) it improves. I dont know if I can bear anything getting worse.. I'm scared of trying. I've finally found peace in leaving and feel sure. Part of me wonders if medication really can make my life bearable and maybe even enjoyable but isnt that just fake? Like something is clearly wrong with ME? I'm not doing okay and am desperate for any relief- and I do have to leave if living continues to be this painful. I'm also feeling like I dont deserve to have a good life and am hesitant of taking meds to help myself..

Thoughts?

(sorry for saying so much- no pressure to try to help me or anything)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: blue_muse, Sensei, wannago and 3 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You should give your meds a shot, after all, you can always die but what if they really help you?

I got some pills which help me to sleep, at least.

Reactions: blue_muse, Sensei, salmon and 3 others
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
If you've never tried antidepressants before, then I think you should give the sertraline a go. It can be very effective for some people. But for a couple of weeks it's possible you will feel more depressed and suicidal, then things gradually improve, if they work for you.

Reactions: Sensei, salmon, x~Sophia~x and 1 other person
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
You should give your meds a shot, after all, you can always die but what if they really help you?

I got some pills which help me to sleep, at least.
I feel like I dont deserve help and I deserve the suffering I am going through.. I've done something and hurt someone I love. I think I'm a bad person. At first, this was all about just ending my own suffering because I realized that after everything I have been through I deserve peace and rest. Then I could not stop my suffering from spreading out and hurting people I love. And now I can see that the pain I carry either hurts me or others always. I kind of want to die to protect people from me.

Sorry for saying so much. I just mean that part of why I am ready to leave is to prevent causing harm to others, not just to find ease for myself.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: salmon, demuic and WornOutLife
inthemoonblue

inthemoonblue

Nov 26, 2020
Finding the right antidepressant can be a process but benzodiazepines should help you feel more calm right away. If you're going to ctb anyway, why not give them just a little try first? Medication isn't fake, it just helps your brain function the way it's supposed to, just like taking meds for any other illness. And if you've never tried them before, I definitely think it's worth a shot. You deserve the best chance at life you can give yourself. ♡

Reactions: Sensei, salmon and sourpink
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
If you've never tried antidepressants before, then I think you should give the sertraline a go. It can be very effective for some people. But for a couple of weeks it's possible you will feel more depressed and suicidal, then things gradually improve, if they work for you.
I've never tried. What if I cant tolerate being more depressed? I've been having excruciating panic attacks for 6-7 hours each day to a point that I might have developed a heart issue which I am getting checked soon. They did give the benzos for backup if things get worse in the initial weeks...

K

Kbeau

Student
Jan 17, 2021
Take the medication. The bus isn't going anywhere

Reactions: Sensei, salmon, sourpink and 2 others
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
Finding the right antidepressant can be a process but benzodiazepines should help you feel more calm right away. If you're going to ctb anyway, why not give them just a little try first? Medication isn't fake, it just helps your brain function the way it's supposed to, just like taking meds for any other illness. And if you've never tried them before, I definitely think it's worth a shot. You deserve the best chance at life you can give yourself. ♡
:( okay. Can you skim my response to WornOutLife? I'm unsure if I believe I deserve good things.

And by fake I meant that my brain is not healthy- clearly something is wrong about me? And you think if things got worse then the benzodiazepines will be enough to help? It's okay to try? I'm afraid I wont be able to handle things getting worse
Take the medication. The bus isn't going anywhere
:aw: what if they make things worse... and my family will think I am "crazy" for taking them.. I do not have to tell them but am feeling their judgement.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: demuic, sourpink and Kbeau
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
I've never tried. What if I cant tolerate being more depressed? I've been having excruciating panic attacks for 6-7 hours each day to a point that I might have developed a heart issue which I am getting checked soon. They did give the benzos for backup if things get worse in the initial weeks...
Then you're quite lucky to get the benzos, in the UK you're just expected to either die or ride it out I suppose.

• Hugs
Reactions: wordsonscreen
inthemoonblue

inthemoonblue

Nov 26, 2020
:( okay. Can you skim my response to WornOutLife? I'm unsure if I believe I deserve good things.

And by fake I meant that my brain is not healthy- clearly something is wrong about me? And you think if things got worse then the benzodiazepines will be enough to help? It's okay to try? I'm afraid I wont be able to handle things getting worse
I may not know you, but I can say with 100% certainty that you don't deserve a death sentence. Hurting others is just part of being human, everyone does it at some point in their lives. You seem very remorseful about it too, so even if you did knowingly hurt someone, that means you have the potential to act differently in the future. Give yourself a chance. I promise you're worth it.

• Love
Reactions: Sensei, salmon and wordsonscreen
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I met with a doc and she prescribed sertraline + some benzos for my PTSD anxiety depression combo. I'm uncertain if I want to try to take them and see what happens or just ctb....
I have similar fears when it comes to taking any kinds of meds regularly.

I suggest you try them for a day. Then the next day you decide again whether you want to take the next dose. Then the next day, and so on... One day at a time, stop at any time.

• Love
Reactions: confused-gemini, Sensei and wordsonscreen
Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
Be careful with the benzos. You can become dependent on them within a month and getting off is hell.

Reactions: salmon, demuic, wordsonscreen and 1 other person
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I would give it a try, setraline doesn't have side effects, didn't have on me. Benzos are ok, but just an advice, take it when needed as it's a bit addictive. But I'm sure your doctor would told you that. Regardless try and take how he prescribed as we are not doctors just sharing my personal story. Good luck, hope you become better. keep in touch with your progress

• Love
Reactions: Sensei and wordsonscreen
K

Kbeau

Student
Jan 17, 2021

:aw: what if they make things worse... and my family will think I am "crazy" for taking them.. I do not have to tell them but am feeling their judgement.

A) I take Zoloft (sertraline) and an occasional Xanax for depression and anxiety. I have off and on for 15 years. Its rare that they make you worse. Usually they either help or dont help. But you need to take the Zoloft for at least 3 weeks to see. B) TONS of people take antidepressants, no shame there. If someone in my family said, "Hey, you're crazy because you take Zoloft" I'd say, "Maybe" and just go about my business...

• Love
Reactions: Sensei and wordsonscreen
B

booray

Can’t do this anymore
Jan 28, 2021
I've been taking sertraline for a few months now and, like all the anti-depressants I took before, it isn't working. But then, I'm pretty sure that my depression is treatment-resistant and I've already decided to ctb this year.

• Hugs
wannago

wannago

Relief
Dec 4, 2020
Sertraline gave me really bad side effects, but it made me unbelievably happy while I was able to take it. Think I looked it up and it's like under manic happiness or whatever. I loved 50mg, kept asking my doctor to increase it because it just got better and better. Felt like I was back in control of everything, and I was much more stable. Complete shame I couldn't continue them, I loved being so happy. I also felt more able to be selfish - it was fantastic. Felt genuinely like things weren't so bad. Loved having the opportunity to see through rose coloured glasses while I could. Upset me having to switch.
I now get Venlafaxine which is okay, super subtle though. I literally wish that I was able to take Sertraline again without being in complete pain. It was my favourite - and I've been through quite a lot of different ones now.
Favourite time on Sertraline? All of them. But I often cried with laughter and had motivation, I got out of bed and made it as soon as I awoke each morning. Made me remember to take them because it played such a good role.
I'd give it a chance. I didn't even get the "it'll get worse before it gets better" thing. It kicked in within a week and I noticed it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Sensei, demuic and wordsonscreen
H

hopeisgone

Jan 13, 2021
Sertraline gave me really bad side effects, but it made me unbelievably happy while I was able to take it. Think I looked it up and it's like under manic happiness or whatever. I loved 50mg, kept asking my doctor to increase it because it just got better and better. Felt like I was back in control of everything, and I was much more stable. Complete shame I couldn't continue them, I loved being so happy. I also felt more able to be selfish - it was fantastic. Felt genuinely like things weren't so bad. Loved having the opportunity to see through rose coloured glasses while I could. Upset me having to switch.
I now get Venlafaxine which is okay, super subtle though. I literally wish that I was able to take Sertraline again without being in complete pain. It was my favourite - and I've been through quite a lot of different ones now.
Favourite time on Sertraline? All of them. But I often cried with laughter and had motivation, I got out of bed and made it as soon as I awoke each morning. Made me remember to take them because it played such a good role.
I'd give it a chance. I didn't even get the "it'll get worse before it gets better" thing. It kicked in within a week and I noticed it.
Wow, sounds like a miracle cure for depression! I have been terrified of trying medication, it's the one thing I haven't tried due to hearing so many horror stories. Can I ask how was coming off it like? Were you taking it for only depression or for other issues as well? What were the side effects that made it so unbearable? Is it able to silence those loud constant negative thoughts and feelings? It doesn't sound like it numbed you, it sounds like you were genuinely happy. I can't imagine what that's like but it sounds wonderful! Sorry for the questions, you don't have to answer them if you don't want to :)

Reactions: Sensei, wannago and wordsonscreen
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
I've been taking sertraline for a few months now and, like all the anti-depressants I took before, it isn't working. But then, I'm pretty sure that my depression is treatment-resistant and I've already decided to ctb this year.
I support you whatever you decide. I am proud of you for trying and I am aware that there are some specific meds for treatment resistant depression. I wonder if you have tried prescription thc/cbd and/or mushrooms.

ClairyFairy

ClairyFairy

Wizard
Jan 22, 2021
If you've got ptsd then the medication alone won't be a magic fix it but once you're stable in them there will be therapies you can have that will be able to help process your trauma. I'm on sertraline and diazies and although they sedate me to a point it's the therapy that is ultimately going to actually help rectify my problem.
The fact that you feel like a bad person who's hurt your loved ones shows that you care. Bad people don't care who they hurt (or that's what people tell me) . Be kind to yourself, give yourself a chance you do deserve it x

B

booray

Can’t do this anymore
Jan 28, 2021
The
I support you whatever you decide. I am proud of you for trying and I am aware that there are some specific meds for treatment resistant depression. I wonder if you have tried prescription thc/cbd and/or mushrooms.
I've done shrooms in the past, many years ago, but did them for recreational not therapeutic purposes. I loved the experience but wouldn't know where to get them now. I'm going to try transcranial magnetic stimulation in a few weeks, but only because my family is insisting. I really don't think that it's going to work. I f***ed up my life with drugs and even tho I've been sober for a year and a half, I'll never get my old life back and I'm too broken and tired to fight anymore for a miserable existence.

wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Jan 21, 2021
If you've got ptsd then the medication alone won't be a magic fix it but once you're stable in them there will be therapies you can have that will be able to help process your trauma. I'm on sertraline and diazies and although they sedate me to a point it's the therapy that is ultimately going to actually help rectify my problem.
The fact that you feel like a bad person who's hurt your loved ones shows that you care. Bad people don't care who they hurt (or that's what people tell me) . Be kind to yourself, give yourself a chance you do deserve it x
Your comment is coming at the perfect time. I did discover that the meds somewhat make things bearable. And yeah I agree its the therapy that will help. Meds dont do enough tbh. And I do have a therapist btw and I've been in therapy for... 6 years lol.

Thank you.
The

I've done shrooms in the past, many years ago, but did them for recreational not therapeutic purposes. I loved the experience but wouldn't know where to get them now. I'm going to try transcranial magnetic stimulation in a few weeks, but only because my family is insisting. I really don't think that it's going to work. I f***ed up my life with drugs and even tho I've been sober for a year and a half, I'll never get my old life back and I'm too broken and tired to fight anymore for a miserable existence.
I support you whatever route you take. am glad you're trying a new method! And tbh I feel the tiredness too. Whatever we choose is okay as along it is truly what we want.

wannago

wannago

Relief
Dec 4, 2020
Wow, sounds like a miracle cure for depression! I have been terrified of trying medication, it's the one thing I haven't tried due to hearing so many horror stories. Can I ask how was coming off it like? Were you taking it for only depression or for other issues as well? What were the side effects that made it so unbearable? Is it able to silence those loud constant negative thoughts and feelings? It doesn't sound like it numbed you, it sounds like you were genuinely happy. I can't imagine what that's like but it sounds wonderful! Sorry for the questions, you don't have to answer them if you don't want to :)
I'd consider it to be so.
I wouldn't listen to any horror stories, I've been taking them on/off since I was 14 and while some don't feel great, there's others to try. I know that there can be stigma behind taking them - but it's nothing to be embarrassed by at all. In 2017-2018, 7.3m people in the UK (17% of our adult population), had dispensed antidepressants. They can be lifesavers for a lot of people.

Coming off of Sertraline was agitating, and I'd say that for a while I was fine, after 2-3 weeks I noticed that I was a lot quieter, sometimes too nervous to speak to people and I was as unsure about just starting conversations as I was prior to Sertraline. This isn't always the case, I have friends who take them temporarily, then feel as though they want to stop. I don't mind having them though. I wasn't having as much fun and didn't want to go out anymore. I resumed smoking weed nightly as an escape which obviously didn't help.

My main side effect was insomnia - I didn't sleep, but for that my doc gave me Ambien (in the UK just called Zolpidem) at my request - typically they'd offer Zopiclone. I just found Ambien fun and effective, but any nights I didn't take it my mind would be racing with thoughts, but at least not negative ones. Problem with this is that I worked nights so it was even more difficult to sleep during the day. And, as you know, going with little to no sleep can make you crazy.

I was taking it for severe depression and anxiety, and while exploring issues with my attention with my regular GP at the time. They suspected depression as the cause. It did help with that too, actually. But I get ADHD meds now that help that more so.
Note that I've always had issues with insomnia, it was just particularly annoying not sleeping. Oh - and my body was active, I had a lot of energy, so I just kept moving about instead of staying still.
It also made me eat a lot less, so keep in mind if that could be a bad thing for you. For some people they eat more. I liked the fact though.
I found that it reduces the amount of time I dealt with loud thoughts, and emotions are pretty much brought lower. Different ones seem to promote different moods.
Remember that to a certain extend all thoughts are normal - completely blocking them won't help, particularly longer term.

It was wonderful, for the first time in my life, I felt normal. Happy. Like a leader, and as though not everything was as dark as it can seem. Really motivated me to make something of myself and work hard.

Some can dull you emotionally, but at that point it's just not the one for you. It's not about "killing off your personality", it's about finding something that appropriately fits your needs. Personally, I found my first two: Prozac (Fluoxetine) and Citalopram (Celexa) made me feel bored and tired - so not everything is going to be a fix. Some people find these ones their personal favourites.

But after my experience with Sertraline, I've attempted to use it many times again, and it can be super subtle at first. It's made me continue using antis because I know their potential :)

Remember doctors can have discussions with you - if a particular one sounds beneficial, you can request it with your reasoning. I know that Sertraline is often known to be one of (if not the) most effective for most people.

Reactions: wordsonscreen and hopeisgone
U

uglyface

Feb 1, 2021
I have the same dilemma. I don't know what's holding me back, since I know that the only rational option in this situation is to take medication. Afraid of the side effects? But I don't want to live anyway, I don't know why I'm afraid. I can't work, I live in constant fear and anxiety, my whole life in a room on pc. I'm afraid to even go out in the sun.

H

hopeisgone

Jan 13, 2021
I'd consider it to be so.
I wouldn't listen to any horror stories, I've been taking them on/off since I was 14 and while some don't feel great, there's others to try. I know that there can be stigma behind taking them - but it's nothing to be embarrassed by at all. In 2017-2018, 7.3m people in the UK (17% of our adult population), had dispensed antidepressants. They can be lifesavers for a lot of people.

Coming off of Sertraline was agitating, and I'd say that for a while I was fine, after 2-3 weeks I noticed that I was a lot quieter, sometimes too nervous to speak to people and I was as unsure about just starting conversations as I was prior to Sertraline. This isn't always the case, I have friends who take them temporarily, then feel as though they want to stop. I don't mind having them though. I wasn't having as much fun and didn't want to go out anymore. I resumed smoking weed nightly as an escape which obviously didn't help.

My main side effect was insomnia - I didn't sleep, but for that my doc gave me Ambien (in the UK just called Zolpidem) at my request - typically they'd offer Zopiclone. I just found Ambien fun and effective, but any nights I didn't take it my mind would be racing with thoughts, but at least not negative ones. Problem with this is that I worked nights so it was even more difficult to sleep during the day. And, as you know, going with little to no sleep can make you crazy.

I was taking it for severe depression and anxiety, and while exploring issues with my attention with my regular GP at the time. They suspected depression as the cause. It did help with that too, actually. But I get ADHD meds now that help that more so.
Note that I've always had issues with insomnia, it was just particularly annoying not sleeping. Oh - and my body was active, I had a lot of energy, so I just kept moving about instead of staying still.
It also made me eat a lot less, so keep in mind if that could be a bad thing for you. For some people they eat more. I liked the fact though.
I found that it reduces the amount of time I dealt with loud thoughts, and emotions are pretty much brought lower. Different ones seem to promote different moods.
Remember that to a certain extend all thoughts are normal - completely blocking them won't help, particularly longer term.

It was wonderful, for the first time in my life, I felt normal. Happy. Like a leader, and as though not everything was as dark as it can seem. Really motivated me to make something of myself and work hard.

Some can dull you emotionally, but at that point it's just not the one for you. It's not about "killing off your personality", it's about finding something that appropriately fits your needs. Personally, I found my first two: Prozac (Fluoxetine) and Citalopram (Celexa) made me feel bored and tired - so not everything is going to be a fix. Some people find these ones their personal favourites.

But after my experience with Sertraline, I've attempted to use it many times again, and it can be super subtle at first. It's made me continue using antis because I know their potential :)

Remember doctors can have discussions with you - if a particular one sounds beneficial, you can request it with your reasoning. I know that Sertraline is often known to be one of (if not the) most effective for most people.
Thanks for your detailed response. Seems like Sertraline really worked wonders for you and it sucks that you couldn't continue with them. I also suffer from insomnia so can relate. I do worry about "killing your personality" and the emotional numbness. But as you say, if that happens it's probably just the wrong type for you.

I struggle with the idea of meds, the loooong trial and error period, switching if one doesn't work, playing with dosages, all the side effects, the prohibitive costs of seeing a psych, just to MAYBE find the one that might work. Then if you do, you have to worry about coming off them. But I suppose when one has exhausted all other options... When I get very suicidal I think well, what have I got to lose? This is the last choice left. But then I just don't have the energy to begin that journey.

It's good to have some input from people who have experience with them though, so I can continue considering it, so thanks :)

rex_deceptorum

rex_deceptorum

Mar 6, 2020
I've been having some very unbearable few months and she said that with medication it will get worse before (if) it improves. I dont know if I can bear anything getting worse.. I'm scared of trying. I've finally found peace in leaving and feel sure. Part of me wonders if medication really can make my life bearable and maybe even enjoyable but isnt that just fake? Like something is clearly wrong with ME? I'm not doing okay and am desperate for any relief- and I do have to leave if living continues to be this painful. I'm also feeling like I dont deserve to have a good life and am hesitant of taking meds to help myself..

Thoughts?

(sorry for saying so much- no pressure to try to help me or anything)
Like most users here, I stand by one's right to end one's life, but since that choice is irreversible, I think one should at least try to give something that might work a go before taking that final step. Ylu never know! You can always go through with it, if the meds don't do the trick. Benzos helped me ! I am not feeling great nor am I optimistic or hopeful about the future, but they make it bearable, and I can at least get some sleep.

• Hugs
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'd rather exit. If you have a fantasy world that's important to you, psych meds will probably kill it forever. That's my impression from the accounts I've read, anyway. Even if they improve your mood, apparently they also take away your imagination. I couldn't handle that. I'd rather be a sad daydreamer than a happy zombie.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: wordsonscreen and confused-gemini
confused-gemini

confused-gemini

Jan 7, 2021
That is my fear exactly! I've read so many bad things about meds that I'm so scared to try them and I'm like if I'm probably going to spend the rest of my life on meds wtf is the point of even living?

Reactions: wordsonscreen and booray
blue_muse

blue_muse

Mage
Jan 31, 2021
Whilst you're sure you want to CTB, see the medication as a peaceful path towards saying goodbye.

• Hugs
Reactions: wordsonscreen and confused-gemini
B

booray

Can’t do this anymore
Jan 28, 2021
That is my fear exactly! I've read so many bad things about meds that I'm so scared to try them and I'm like if I'm probably going to spend the rest of my life on meds wtf is the point of even living?
Having tried quite a number of anti-depressants and finding that none of them have worked, I'm reluctant to keep trying. I don't believe in magic bullets, especially when depression is more the result of unfortunate life circumstances rather than a chemical imbalance. At least, I believe that's the case with me. My life has gone to shit because I ruined it. I'm not stuck, I'm broken beyond repair. Better to ctb than to live in misery.

Reactions: blue_muse and wordsonscreen
L

lostmyself

Jan 28, 2021
Those type of medications usually take about two months and then you will hopefully start noticing a difference, hopefully.