B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Do good people exist? I'm not convinced they do.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voyager, deadbody, sserafim and 3 others
P

PanaxMan

Student
Apr 11, 2023
Honestly no. I'm not good, You, yourself isn't either. Unless your monotheistic or polytheistic, no one you believe is good. We as humans (as animals and creatures of life) always have committed sins. It's common sense. I'm atheist BTW.

voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
They do, but are a fairly small minority in my experience.

Reactions: Hollowman
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Honestly no. I'm not good, You, yourself isn't either. Unless your monotheistic or polytheistic, no one you believe is good. We as humans (as animals and creatures of life) always have committed sins. It's common sense. I'm atheist BTW.
Ehh yeah in Christianity that is said. But.... there's got to be some scale extant to see how good bad people are. Otherwise we'd all never interact with each other. For instance a pedophile probably not good. There's got to be a flip side somewhere. I just don't know where.

P

PanaxMan

Student
Apr 11, 2023
Ehh yeah in Christianity that is said. But.... there's got to be some scale extant to see how good bad people are. Otherwise we'd all never interact with each other. For instance a pedophile probably not good. There's got to be a flip side somewhere. I just don't know where.
True. But it's common sense that everyone has done bad things. It's just how society looks at people who've done bad things and then looks at new people doing those same bad things and being constantly judged for it.

tarquinn95

tarquinn95

Nov 1, 2023
There is the illusion of good people always. 99.9% of the time they are the ones who abandon you first or throw the knife clean in your back.

I only consider 4 living people good. My grandparents, my sister and my partner. The only people who have never let me down. Ever.

Reactions: sserafim
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
True. But it's common sense that everyone has done bad things. It's just how society looks at people who've done bad things and then looks at new people doing those same bad things and being constantly judged for it.
Depends on the bad thing. "I was a guard at auschwitz" is different then I left my Christmas lights up until March.
There is the illusion of good people always. 99.9% of the time they are the ones who abandon you first or throw the knife clean in your back.

I only consider 4 living people good. My grandparents, my sister and my partner. The only people who have never let me down. Ever.
I don't think I know or have known any to be honest... I guess my faith in humanity is literally 0.

finalrequiem

finalrequiem

kill me yesterday
Oct 30, 2023
No. In my experience, everyone I've ever known and considered to be good ended up stabbing me in the back the hardest. I do envy people that either live with the illusion of humanity being good or who have the rare experience of actually having a genuinely good person in their lives.

Reactions: Toobrokentofix
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Depends on the bad thing. "I was a guard at auschwitz" is different then I left my Christmas lights up until March.

I don't think I know or have known any to be honest... I guess my faith in humanity is literally 0.
You leave my Christmas lights alone!! The very assumption that it is remotely close to "bad" behavior... that it could even be reasonably perceived that way... my god the sheer ignorance...
I am at a loss for words. -_-

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
No. In my experience, everyone I've ever known and considered to be good ended up stabbing me in the back the hardest. I do envy people that either live with the illusion of humanity being good or who have the rare experience of actually having a genuinely good person in their lives.
I don't think words can describe adequately describe my hatred for people.
You leave my Christmas lights alone!! The very assumption that it is remotely close to "bad" behavior... that it could even be reasonably perceived that way... my god the sheer ignorance...
I am at a loss for words. -_-
You realize that was kind of my point right?

Reactions: finalrequiem
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I don't think words can describe adequately describe my hatred for people.

You realize that was kind of my point right?
I meant it wasn't right to even think that leaving christmas lights out could be reasonably considered "bad", since you used it as an example as a significantly lesser bad compared to being an auschwitz prison guard (implying that while someone might be annoyed or think of leaving your lights out as "bad" it is nowhere near the same as being a guard of an execution camp).

Probably a terrible joke for the topic of the thread.
If I answered seriously I think there are a few good people out there.

A lot of terrible people (including myself), a lot of people who think they are good in a pseudo psychopathic way but are actually terrible, and a few genuinely good people scattered about.

Last edited:
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I meant it wasn't right to even think that leaving christmas lights out could be reasonably considered "bad", since you used it as an example as a significantly lesser bad compared to being an auschwitz prison guard (implying that while someone might be annoyed or think of leaving your lights out as "bad" it is nowhere near the same as being a guard of an execution camp).

Probably a terrible joke for the topic of the thread.
Probably shouldn't have used Auschwitz. But on the hand I don't care. I was trying to use something known to be up there with the most bad versus something debated to be bad or jokingly bad. I got sick of using pedophiles. And I am the person who started the thread?
Though frankly this takes away from the reason I created thread which is my mistake.

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Probably shouldn't have used Auschwitz. But on the hand I don't care. I was trying to use something known to be up there with the most bad versus something debated to be bad or jokingly bad. I got sick of using pedophiles. And I am the person who started the thread?
Though frankly this takes away from the reason I created thread which is my mistake.
I wasn't finding fault with you using Auschwitz I was just joking about how some people see Christmas lights as bad. It was a bad joke - not meant to be taken seriously.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I wasn't finding fault with you using Auschwitz I was just joking about how some people see Christmas lights as bad. It was a bad joke - not meant to be taken seriously.
I'm going to be 100% honest you could leave up Christmas lights year round and it wouldn't bother me. I just want the life stolen from me back. And I know that isn't going to happen or anything approaching it. And it drives me nuts. I can't handle it. Because no one cares not because it wasn't bad, not a crime or anything else but I'm just irrelevant and someone to not give a shit about. I'm just nothing. I truly hate people.

Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
I guess you'd need to define what makes a "good person". Everyone's inherently selfish, that's what allows us to survive, but if being a good person means that you generally don't wish harm on anyone, and act in ways that lessens the harmful impact on others and the environment as much as possible, then I think yes, "good" people do exist.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that are ready to take advantage of whoever they can, so people who are naturally giving or "selfless" are likely to become less so over time, once they get more life experience

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I guess you'd need to define what makes a "good person". Everyone's inherently selfish, that's what allows us to survive, but if being a good person means that you generally don't wish harm on anyone, and act in ways that lessens the harmful impact on others and the environment as much as possible, then I think yes, "good" people do exist.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that are ready to take advantage of whoever they can, so people who are naturally giving or "selfless" are likely to become less so over time, once they get more life experience
You tell me. I was in medical school... President of the oncology research group. Defrauded by the university illegally forced out amongst other things. Not a fucking soul has done anything for me. Not my colleagues, not my government, not my family. NOBODY. I'm homeless, in extraordinary debt, can't get a job etc... Tell me. Should I expect help? Strike that should help be given to me?

Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
First you should properly define your terms. What makes a person "good" and "not good"? This is a very slippery question that has no clear answer. You could be a "good person" to me and a "bad person" to someone else. I think there are many good people, but of course my definition may differ from yours.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
First you should properly define your terms. What makes a person "good" and "not good"? This is a very slippery question that has no clear answer. You could be a "good person" to me and a "bad person" to someone else. I think there are many good people, but of course my definition may differ from yours.
Honestly just a society who helps deserving people when they are stuck and it isn't their fault especially when theyre a victim of crime(s). I don't see think society does.

Last edited:
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
I think they're out there. They're more rare than anyone expects, though, and I don't think they're necessarily always going to be kind or good in every situation. I guess I'd say I think there are people who have moments of genuine goodness or kindness or selflessness. But in my experience, from the very few "good" people I feel like I've come across, life usually beats it out of them in one way or another.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I think they're out there. They're more rare than anyone expects, though, and I don't think they're necessarily always going to be kind or good in every situation. I guess I'd say I think there are people who have moments of genuine goodness or kindness or selflessness. But in my experience, from the very few "good" people I feel like I've come across, life usually beats it out of them in one way or another.
Like I said I want help because I was robbed of everything. And I literally can't get help in any capacity. Like I'm not convinced they are out there. I think I've just been cursed and no one gives a fuck.

february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
Like I said I want help because I was robbed of everything. And I literally can't get help in any capacity. Like I'm not convinced they are out there. I think I've just been cursed and no one gives a fuck.
Like I said, they're hard to come by. Can't blame you for not believing they exist, it's hard to say objectively. Personally I think it's less an issue of individual people being bad and more so an issue of society as a whole being a cycle of disillusionment. Our culture doesn't encourage or reward people for being "good"

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Like I said, they're hard to come by. Can't blame you for not believing they exist, it's hard to say objectively. Personally I think it's less an issue of individual people being bad and more so an issue of society as a whole being a cycle of disillusionment. Our culture doesn't encourage or reward people for being "good"
See what pisses me off is if I do something "bad" I'll have an example made of me without a doubt. It wont be you did what because why? It will be wow i cant you did that. You shouldve known better. No empathy for me ever. Then I'll go from not having help to really not having help. Basically baited into doing something bad so people don't have to feel bad about not doing anything. While I'm left to suffer regardless the victim several times over. And that just pisses me off even more. I don't even want to be the victim I just want it fucking dealt with.

I'm somehow a victim
Victim blamed
A victim of people's incredible apathy
Then angry about nothing happening
If I do something then I'm blamed for not being able to do anything and I'm the victim again.
While those not doing anything and the fraudsters continue to do nothing and defraud.

I don't want to be the victim I just want it to go away and be treated like a human being not a fucking shit stain.

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes, I've been lucky to know one or two. Predominantly good anyhow. I doubt anyone is perfect. But yes- they did so much for other people. They were so kind. Maybe it was to make themselves feel better- the whole: 'There's no such thing as a truly altruistic act.' But still- they left this world a better place. They're rare though. Most people care mostly for themselves. (Me included.)

Reactions: voyager
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Whole concept of good and bad is flawed if you ask me. Too many contradictions and rules that make no sense.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Yes, I've been lucky to know one or two. Predominantly good anyhow. I doubt anyone is perfect. But yes- they did so much for other people. They were so kind. Maybe it was to make themselves feel better- the whole: 'There's no such thing as a truly altruistic act.' But still- they left this world a better place. They're rare though. Most people care mostly for themselves. (Me included.)
So in my situation what? You just don't get help? Just a victim of crimes? I have cared for myself? And so what I just die because my ability to do so was stolen from me? If I murder someone to get justice I go to prison.

Hell if I were to commit a fraction of the crimes I'd be in prison...

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
So in my situation what? You just don't get help? Just a victim of crimes? I have cared for myself? And so what I just die because my ability to do so was stolen from me? If I murder someone to get justice I go to prison.

Hmm- sorry- I seem to have offended you... I'm not sure why- sorry. I wasn't saying people who look out for themselves are all bad and not deserving of help. The question was- 'Do truly good people exist?' I answered that- in my experience- yes they do but they're rare. The majority of us (me included) are probably too selfish to be that good. That may well not be our fault of course- we may have had to look out for ourselves because no one else would. I made no judgement on what should happen to the 'not so good' of us nor did I say anyone was non deserving of help. I definitely went nowhere near a statement that the non-good deserve to die! Sorry if my post was unclear. So to confirm: 'Do truly good people exist?' Yes, I believe so. I'm not one of them but yes- I've met at least a few.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Hmm- sorry- I seem to have offended you... I'm not sure why- sorry. I wasn't saying people who look out for themselves are all bad and not deserving of help. The question was- 'Do truly good people exist?' I answered that- in my experience- yes they do but they're rare. The majority of us (me included) are probably too selfish to be that good. That may well not be our fault of course- we may have had to look out for ourselves because no one else would. I made no judgement on what should happen to the 'not so good' of us nor did I say anyone was non deserving of help. I definitely went nowhere near a statement that the non-good deserve to die! Sorry if my post was unclear. So to confirm: 'Do truly good people exist?' Yes, I believe so. I'm not one of them but yes- I've met at least a few.
No I'm saying that's the net result of people not helping me. Literally. I'm effectively going to be forced to CTB Monday because i wont have shelter or food better to kill myself in Minnesota then freeze to death... I am absolutely miserable. I hate everything about my life. But you know what if I had gotten help I would have been happy. Instead everyone just ran away from me like I'm some sort of monster. I didn't do anything wrong.

Because of people's incomprehensible laziness, greed, and apathy I will die

• Aww..
Reactions: voyager, Forever Sleep and R_N
deadbody

deadbody

he/him 🏳️‍⚧️
Oct 24, 2023
There are, but unfortunately, there are few truly kind and selfless people. Mostly, someone is nice to you because they expect something from you. And if you do not live up to their expectations, not a trace remains of their former kindness.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
No I'm saying that's the net result of people not helping me. Literally. I'm effectively going to be forced to CTB Monday because i wont have shelter or food better to kill myself in Minnesota then freeze to death... I am absolutely miserable. I hate everything about my life. But you know what if I had gotten help I would have been happy. Instead everyone just ran away from me like I'm some sort of monster. I didn't do anything wrong.

Because of people's incomprehensible laziness, greed, and apathy I will die

I guess it's true that we become what life makes us. I'm sorry life and people have treated you so badly.