Iris Blue

Iris Blue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Oct 23, 2023
I tried looking online and here for answers and info but still have some questions,

So I know there are risks and it's a painfully long and bumpy ride so maybe I can try to wean off of them? How should I do it? I'm on a couple antidepressants (no SSRIs) and basically have been on antidepressants for 8-9 years straight.

Lately I've been feeling emotionally numb and even though I still have the thought and want to die, I no longer have the urge or feeling of being able to take action. I tried going cold turkey off my meds before and personally I think I wasn't affected too much from it but I had to go back on after about a week because my dad found out I wasn't taking them. I'm considering going off them again, I can easily hide the pills somewhere. I'm hoping to then get that urge back to actually do something to ctb or maybe going off them be dangerous enough in itself. I know there are a lot of side effects of going off them suddenly, if I try to gradually take myself off of them after maybe a week or two maybe I can still lead up to ctb but without all the bad sudden side effects? How would I do that though? Thoughts?

FallingGrace

FallingGrace

Secretary of something
Mar 11, 2020
Why does it matter if your dad finds out you're not taking your antidepressant?
Sorry, I re-read your post. It's late in the UK and my eyes are sleepy. So your antidepressants are making you non-suicidal so you want to stop them so you can feel that again? Or is it more the drowsy feeling you want rid of? Either way, I wouldn't recommend. Suicidal ideation going away with antidepressants is actually a good thing (and uncommon). You may be feeling drowsy because you've been off them and are coming back on them again. Coming off them again will just confuse your body more. My advice, keep taking them. I'm on like 4 and they barely do anything anyway in the long term once your body adapts

Last edited:
Some place nice

Some place nice

This world makes me sick
Oct 18, 2023
Please dont go cold turkey. Someone i know was on anti depressants for only a month and they had a sever reaction to it. Just do it a little at a time i dont want someone to go through what they went through.

Ash’Girl

Ash’Girl

Girl, Interrupted
Apr 29, 2022
If you've been on a different combo of meds for almost a decade then you'd need more than a week or two of dose tapering to mitigate withdrawals.

Examples of dose tapering protocols for some commonly prescribed antidepressants: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/how-to-taper-off-your-antidepressant

Generally don't advise cold turkey at all but the effects are often variable depending on the drug, your body, the dose you're on, duration, interactions with other meds and all sorts. Even your doctor wouldn't be able to tell you what stopping will do, only advise on potential for how you might react.

StaringIntoAnAbyss

StaringIntoAnAbyss

Is it all just a quantum dream ?
Aug 23, 2023
I tried looking online and here for answers and info but still have some questions,

So I know there are risks and it's a painfully long and bumpy ride so maybe I can try to wean off of them? How should I do it? I'm on a couple antidepressants (no SSRIs) and basically have been on antidepressants for 8-9 years straight.

Lately I've been feeling emotionally numb and even though I still have the thought and want to die, I no longer have the urge or feeling of being able to take action. I tried going cold turkey off my meds before and personally I think I wasn't affected too much from it but I had to go back on after about a week because my dad found out I wasn't taking them. I'm considering going off them again, I can easily hide the pills somewhere. I'm hoping to then get that urge back to actually do something to ctb or maybe going off them be dangerous enough in itself. I know there are a lot of side effects of going off them suddenly, if I try to gradually take myself off of them after maybe a week or two maybe I can still lead up to ctb but without all the bad sudden side effects? How would I do that though? Thoughts?
I stopped taking my meds (SSRI and antipsychotics) for the same reason, I also do it so have a stock pile of pills incase I want to hang my self I just take everything or just the antipsychotic to chill out.
I personally didn't have any problems with going cold turkey, I just felt a bit more and dissociated more. Sleep is a big factor to in how you feel and can have a huge impact in my case meds didn't help that much with suicidal thoughts and sleep made it better.
Hope this helps much love ❤️

leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I went off escitalopram cold turkey and Ive been on it for like 4 months. Nothing happened but I think it is safer to taper off

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
It varies person to person but it's not uncommon for sweats, hallucinations, chills, fever like symptoms, vomiting, massive and intense mood fluctuations, derealization, etc. to occur.

I recommend tapering off. Start by taking your usual dose every 2nd day for a few weeks (minimum 2 weeks). Then, take half your usual dose every 2nd day for another 2 weeks or so. Keep cutting in half every 2 weeks until you are at the lowest therapeutic dose (google it for your medication).

Once you have been taking the lowest therapeutic dose every 2nd day for a minimum of 2 weeks you can stop entirely.

Better yet, consult your doctor. I am not a doctor but have some pharmaceutical experience and gather your doctor will suggest a similar regimen.