pain6batch9

pain6batch9

Chronic
Aug 25, 2024
A woman pulled me up in the street today. She said, 'Did you know? Jesus loves you.'
I replied, 'I'm sure he doesn't.'
She was insistent, 'He really does!'
I replied, 'Well, I'm sure he doesn't.' (Leaving the unsaid part, 'because I'm an atheist and don't believe he exists' floating in the air.)

This was one of those rare occasions when I know exactly what to say at the time, but in this case didn't want to have the conversation, again. This happens so much where I live. Maybe it has something to do with the number of churches, not sure. It's happened to me twice this year already.

I don't want to call it wrong for someone to want to talk about their beliefs. I'm not a militant anti-theist. I wouldn't do it myself. But my thoughts turned to the idea that this sort of interaction is solely the remit of religious people. I began to wonder, why you never see people 'preaching' for atheism. It made me laugh to think of somebody stopping you in the street and saying, 'Hey, did you know? Organized religion is a scam?' But it never happens.

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep and kinderbueno
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I would tell those people jesus was just a man and his mom definitely wasn't a virgin. Lol

• Yay!
Reactions: LifeQuitter and pain6batch9
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I would tell those people jesus was just a man and his mom definitely wasn't a virgin. Lol
Hah, that makes me think of that Tumblr post about how Jesus is technically a trans icon since he wouldn't have had a Y chromosome due to being birth from a virgin. Technically, you can still present as male despite having no Y chromosome. For example, someone may have two X chromosomes but they may have a X chromosome that carries the SRY gene. My theory is that Jesus has XX Male Syndrome/De la Chapelle Syndrome.

Jesus was an intersex icon and nobody can tell me otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: peaceandlove, LifeQuitter, Hollowman and 1 other person
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I think he was severely mentally ill.

Reactions: LifeQuitter
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I wonder if they think they'll get a better time in heaven for all those 'referrals'. Sometimes I think it's because they are actually genuinely caring people and they fear for our souls. Other times, I wonder if congregation numbers are dangerously low and their priests are sending them out on a mission.

• Informative
Reactions: LifeQuitter and pain6batch9
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I began to wonder, why you never see people 'preaching' for atheism.
It would be pretty cool to find out where the Jehovah Witness' live and start knocking on their doors and see how they like it.

• Yay!
Reactions: Hollowman, LifeQuitter and pain6batch9